Salsa > People Dancing by Themselves @ The Clubs...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Matrix, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Matrix

Matrix New Member

...usually in corners, in front of a mirror, or just going off to the side... like crazy.

What do you guys think about that? How do you feel about presencing something like that? I mean, think of it as being CONSTANT and over way too many songs over a single night.

I personally don't mind it, but I can't deny it calls my attention and makes me wonder why they don't dance with other people.

I've seen mostly guys do this, but some women too... and maybe the women just get tired of not getting asked to dance and go off on their own... It's easier to watch a guy do it, than a girl. You feel bad to see a girl do it... since you kind of know it is because they don't get asked to dance at all, or not much.

anyone seen this in their city?

2. kdogg

kdogg New Member

I don't see that many people dancing by themselves in the corners of the floor. But I do see a group of guys (either just men or just women or mixed) dancing together (not as partners though). That happens usually when they come as a group, which consists of a one or two decent dancers who're bringing their friends to give a taste of the dance. Hey, if they love dancing, they should have the freedom to dance with or without a partner.

3. lynn

lynn New Member

most ladies i know of dance by themselves because they've got no one to dance with.... that's perhaps the places i go to there are always more women than men....

4. Medira

Medira New Member

Sometimes I dance with the DJ at one of the local spots we frequent. If a good bachata or merengue starts up and most people take to the floor, I'll move over closer to the DJ table and start dancing to the beat. He responds from behind his system and he generally get a good laugh out of it. It may look like I'm dancing by myself, but I'm really not. ;)

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yup. There are situations where a person or a couple will get up their non-dancing friends and sort of move to the muisc. At the Ithaca Social Dances that I help out at I'll do that for peop,le who are intimidated. I've also seen women do this sort of solo dancing when they don't have a partner. I have done that at times. Perhaps I have been hampered and not been able to do shines when I felt like doing so beacuse of the women who ask me and the others that I have asked. Then I may go crazy for one song to get it out of my system.

6. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

Medira, I just drag the DJ out from behind the booth.... well, one of them... two other DJs I know grab me. That is absolutely the only reason a man can get away with 'hollerin' at me from across the room...he had to set up the song and make sure no-one else snagged me. The one that I do pull out from behind the table, sometimes has to finish setting his equipment (yea, I have no idea what they are doing) so I will dance a few bars by myself until he joins me.

7. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Yes and there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe they don't know how to partner dance or are too shy or are afraid of making a fool of themselves. Ain't no shame in dancing by one's self.

And there's really no way of knowing that a girl hasn't been asked to dance JUST because she is dancing by herself. Some people get into the zone. Or they are practicing what they learned somewhere until they get more comfortable with it. No harm in that.

If you are that worried about their apparent lack of partner, why don't YOU ask them to dance? Just a thought.....

8. Medira

Medira New Member

Hehehe! That works. Or I just steal his fedora...he follows me out quite quickly after that. ;) :p

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

How do you know it is because they don't get asked to dance at all? :roll: Personally, I "feel bad for any guys who feels bad" under these circumstances. Has it ever occured to you that it might be a woman or man who is confident in dancing by herself or himself? :roll: Or as DancingMommy said, someone who has gone into "the zone"? :roll:

If you feel so "bad" about it, what steps have you taken to alleviate your "bad feelings" other than posting about it here on DF? :roll:

10. Big10

Big10 Member

Huh? That's just a strange statement. Why don't you feel bad to see a guy do it, since maybe he has been getting turned down by women all night? Or, if it's unusual enough so that you "feel bad" for the woman, then why not just ask her to dance?

Personally, I almost never dance by myself, but I don't have a "problem" seeing someone else do it. The only times I remember dancing by myself were when the club was dead for the night (like literally less than 10 people), so I figured I would take advantage of the wooden floor and the DJ's music to practice some stuff that I couldn't practice on my carpet at home.

Some people might want to practice alone.....some might not want to hassle with getting rejected....some might be too tired to dance a whole song but want to move a little to a song that they enjoy....some might have a reason I can't think of....man or woman....so what?

11. diputs

diputs New Member

I always dance by myself in the corner of clubs. I can imitate the moves that I see other people doing, but I have no idea how to lead. I just started taking classes, where I am learning how to lead.

12. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

hey they paid the cover!!

If no one is dancing with them and they aren`t interfering with other dancers, wny not!

13. Houdinni

Houdinni New Member

Yep... That happens around here too...

But are mostly the men that start dancing and spinning by themselves, and some of them actully do it for a much longer time than they actually dance with other people... Bizarre isn't it? :O

P.S. - BrookeErin, i love your new avatar... I was getting jealous of the other guy in your previous one...! ;)

14. HM

HM New Member

I do sometimes "corner-dancing" by myself just b/c I'm tired of partner dancing. As a lady you can never express yourself as much in a partner dance as in a solo. Now and then it's exhausting to be "only" a receiver for moves and not to create your own interpretation of the music.

Matrix, you see somtimes it's not the problem that I'm not asked enough for dancing than rather too much :wink:

15. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

and what if I'm jealous of the girl in yours?

16. Houdinni

Houdinni New Member

Humm....

Hadn't though of that to tell you the truth...

But I'd surly take it as a compliment... ;)

17. Matrix

Matrix New Member

going off like a maniac in a corner is just WEIRD. I've seen one girl do that a lot.

practicing in a corner is OK.

18. G809

G809 Member

There is one guy I know who loves to just dance like crazy by himself -- he has studied so many different dance forms and is so talented that watching him express himself that way is incredible. There is absolutely nothing "weird" about it, although I'm sure people who don't know him may think so. You should probably think for a moment that most people don't care if you think them strange or even notice you're watching at all.

19. africana

africana New Member

20. africana

africana New Member