Salsa > People Dancing by Themselves @ The Clubs...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Matrix, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mambochino

mambochino New Member

perhaps. but i chose to ask. if you find it offensive and if you are the moderator, you can delete it if you like :roll:

2. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Each time I see the subject of this thread I somehow miss the "L" in clubs and see it as people dancing at the "cubs" and I think it is great that folks will dance at a baseball game --- by themselves or not. :doh:

3. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: You gotta love some guys!
    The other night they played a reggae, I wanted to dance but I didn't know anybody. So I danced by myself. :roll: I mean I would have liked to. But how do you just walk up to a female stranger and say "Hey, would you like to dance sexy, hot and really close with me? Really! My intentions are honorable." Maybe that is possible but it didn't seem to be the right thing to do that night. Actually I did ask someone a bit later that I had had some interaction with that night. She opted for the clean version. :cry: :wink: :lol:

4. tacad

tacad New Member

Absolutely not. :wink:

5. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

We don't. I dance alone a lot. I was singing "Use it up, wear it out" and swivelling my backside at work today!

I do think that many people feel self-conscious when they are in a culture they have yet to become familiar and comfortable with. Maybe that's why.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Dancing at a baseball game?!? Now that would be weird. Just kidding! :wink: :lol:

7. brujo

brujo New Member

Well, with that attitude, you'll never really get an inspired merengue out of anyone... :roll:

I always ask girls to dance salsa with me, if there is good chemistry and playfulness, then I ask if they want to do a merengue, bachata or reggaeton.

I do find that if I am comfortable with a person, I can dance more freely without worrying about them feeling groped or unsafe - and it comes down to that, I want my partner to feel comfortable and secure when she dances with me, whether it be me protecting her from getting hurt or respecting her physical or mental space. If she cannot trust me not to want to touch her reeses pieces at every chance, how can she trust me not to drop her on a dip?

In this culture, specially, where people have more of a puritanical view of body contact, I am more careful about where I put my hands or where we touch. Guys know when they are crossing the line, and if you don't back up, be prepared to get your knat kicked by me.

8. pygmalion

Well said. :notworth: :D

9. chandra

chandra New Member

May i return, in all seriousness, to the original topic of dicussion?

Although I agree with all posts here that someone can do whatever they want, and others shouldnt care, there is only a certain extent that can be taken to. That extent IMO is physical danger. (and we all have had opinions about other people we shouldnt have in past.- difference is we kept them to ourselves)

There is one such dancer as matrix is describing in my scene. Crazy and spasmotic doesnt quite do him justice. This is all and good IMO, if he just keeps it to himself in the corner. HE doesnt. He dances so wild and crazy in the middle of the floor, dancing in the same venue as him makes me feer for my personal safety.

BTW- I believe matrix said something along the lines of he thought it was ok, although odd.

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Isn't there a confession thread out there? Anyway this one is for africana who did not know what to make of me in some thread when it was asked if I was a gentleman or a man! :wink:

There is this salsa move. For instance, leader's right hand is holding follower's right hand and leader does a back break and ends with follower's right hand behind her back. Guess where the follower's right hand ended? Right on her "buttocks". I was totally clueless and used to wonder why the followers would give me this weird look and afterwards laugh. The followers never reacted badly as they probably figured I had no harmful intentions, and some would put their hands there even if I didn't quite get it there and look at me. :oops: Couple months later I figure out that no-one, I mean no-one should really do this. :oops: That this is not how the move is supposed to be accomplished technically. Anyway I stop and one of the dancers whom I dance with looks at me kind of funny and I tell her I figured it out, and she just laughs. So we play off that.

The moral of the story, as people have mentioned before, is that people can tell. Maybe it's the way you smell, the small things that seep through unconsciously...the little verbal clues...

By the way africana and BE...would besito be okay if I dance with ya? :wink: :) Don't worry. I don't particularly favor reggaeton. I prefer cha cha cha or salsa. AS of now the only oen I'll really do reaggeton with is my housemate. :)

11. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I don't really know what besito is, other than it means little kiss....

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yes it means little kiss.. but it also could mean teeny kiss.. or kissywissy.. or smoochysmoochy or .. bwaahahahahaa!

13. pygmalion

I don't know either. I just know Sagitta seems to like that move, very much. Maybe it's worth looking into. :eyebrow: :wink:

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I think so. :) :lol:

15. Chiquita

Chiquita New Member

I love dancing by myself..

Sometimes I have a very good time, dancing by myself. I prefer dancing by myself, rather than dancing with somebody that I'm not comfortable dancing with. I don't always have the right guy in front of me, but I still want to enjoy the music, and then I dance. If I really love the song, and if I'm in the mood, I'll really dance like nobodys watching me...And that usually makes a lot of people turn their heads. I'm in the club to dance and have fun, and I think everybody should enjoy themselves, and not worry too much about somebody doing something differently from how they would act themselves. Respect that everybody is different! I cannot see why "practising" should be more ok, than just crazy dancing.... I don't ask others how they would like me to dance, I dance just like the music makes me feel.