General Dance Discussion > People who say they LOVE to dance, but have no desire to learn

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by RoyHarper, Apr 8, 2011.

1. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Whether it is a racial slur depends on who says it. On DF it would be certainly safer not to use it, since we can't see who is saying it. I can say it, and I am also allowed to use the various ethnic slurs referring to my country of origin. ;)

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I love Kevin James and therefore enjoyed that silly movie. :cool:

All racial slurs and well-meaning racial characterizations aside (which is probably where they belong, to be safe... :cool: )

I think that random freestyle dancing is being undervalued here. To me, it's like cooking. Can someone go to cooking classes? Yes. Culinary arts school? Yes. And can my Mom who never did either one throw down in the kitchen? Yes.

I'm not sure why people so often assume that if you haven't taken lessons, you haven't learned to dance. Dance had to have preceded formalized lessons. And many of the dances that we learn in formalized settings today started as "vernacular" dance. Correct me if I'm wrong. * Seriously. Random flailing doesn't look like dance to me, either. I just don't feel I'm in a position to judge.

* Dang. As much of a curmudgeon as he can be, I really miss dnice sometime. *sigh*

3. RoyHarper

RoyHarper Member

Actually, I don't see anyone saying that one has to take lessons in order to learn how to dance. I have seen a few people (myself included) say that one can also learn by watching videos, receiving coaching from friends, and so forth.

With regard to "random freestyle dancing," I think that the operative word here is "random." I don't think that anyone is attempting to put down freestyle dancing. It's the randomness that can make it less satisfying -- or, as many of my friends would say, kinda silly.

I would liken it to painting. One can paint purposefully, or one can paint using random strokes (and perhaps a limited vocabulary of moves). It's all painting, but one is a lot nicer than the other, however un-PC that might be to say.

As for the random flailing, I don't have any problem judging that it doesn't look much like dancing, even though it may be fun for a lot of people.

4. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

And getting back to the original post - I don't understand people who refuse to learn the most basic of partner dances, yet come to partner dances and expect to be danced with....

We have a particular "follow" in our area that refuses to take lessons. She is intelligent and can afford it. Yet, she will show up at a dance and expect to be danced with; and if someone bites the bullet and dances with her, they will get a squishy octopus with no frame but moving all over the place.

I refuse to even ask her anymore and run for the high hills if she is looking in my direction.

I don't have that many dances available to spoil one and I risk injuring my knees if I try any actual dancing with her.

(I teach social dancing, and I both lead and follow)

5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

+1

There's one woman like that at my old studio. She's one of the few people on my DND list. I'll dance with beginners. Happily. But if you stay a horrible dancer for years despite numerous opportunities to change... :headwall:

6. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I'll bet almost no men fall under this category. Novice men are the first to leave when the group lessons end. In contrast, too many women figure that all they need to do is to show up and by magic a good lead will sweep them off their feet. These women simply don't see the need to take lessons because if they find the right lead they will fool themselves into believing they are good dancers.

Forgive me for making this generalization because it doesn't apply to the ladies that come to this forum as they are obviously serious dancers who do take lessons.

7. RoyHarper

RoyHarper Member

I've known a couple of ladies like that as well. One of them attends some of our local swing dances. I'm not sure if she participates in the beginner lessons or not; however, once she's on the dance floor, she typically shakes her hips, grooves around, and acts like she's at a night club. This tends to frustrate her dance partners, who are naturally trying to do real swing.

I also know a lady like that in Michigan. She apparently likes to attend the lindy exchanges, even though she doesn't know lindy hop. She also attended the Saturday night dance after one of the lindy workshops, without taking any of the lessons. Like the other gal that i mentioned, instead of doing proper swing, she likes to wiggle her hips and groove around like she's at a disco. I couldn't help but think that she really should take some lessons first instead of stepping onto the dance floor and cutting loose.

8. toothlesstiger

It could be worse. She could be doing a lindy hop on the edge of the floor at a ballroom social when they put on a quickstep. :p

9. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Some people just love music and the environment it's played in. We have this one guy who comes to all the socials and just bounces around everywhere. If he gets a girl to dance with him, he just literally bounce up and down and spins himself around. The girl can't really do anything except try to match his spins. We call him the Jumping Man. He's a cool guy when you talk to him, but doesn't do anything remotely close to whatever dance is playing at the time. He does observe basic rules and not bounce around when a traveling dance is playing.

10. jrkirby

jrkirby New Member

I don't really know how to dance. I've never taken lessons. The only "real" dancing I've done is a couple short choreographed dances for the school musical.

But the weird thing is, almost everyone I know thinks I'm amazing at dancing. When I do freestyle(?) dancing at school dances I get crowds of people flocking around to watch me dance. I get random people I don't even know come up to me to compliment me.

I'm not opposed to taking dancing lessons, but I'm pretty busy, and well, people think I'm good at dancing anyways.

11. RoyHarper

RoyHarper Member

Sounds like you're one of those uncommon individuals who, despite being untrained, has some creativity on the dance floor and is willing to do interesting stuff. Most people don't do that. As a friend of mine pointed out, for example, most people dance almost entirely with their upper bodies and do very little that's rhythmic or otherwise interesting with their feet.

I wish that more people were like that. The reality, however, is that people usually don't aim that high. That's their choice, of course, but even in my untrained days, I always found that to be tremendously unsatisfying.

12. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I have seen freestyle dancers who are beautiful to watch. Some of them even do complicated partner dancing to their own unique styles. I have asked a few of them if they ever took dance lessons and the answer is most often no.

So, there are plenty of good dancers that have never taken lessons. However, I question whether many of those dancers could get on a ballroom floor and do a very good standard dance.

Let's also consider what people consider to be a "dance lesson". Some people might have received lessons from a friend or spouse who were very good ballroom dancers. To those people dance lessons are something that's formally given in a studio. When asked if they ever had lessons they respond "no", even though their level of training might be significant.

13. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

:uplaugh: Yeah....

14. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

'good' is relative

15. toothlesstiger

Partner dancing and freestyle dancing are different experiences for me. The only thing they have in common is moving in time to music. I would never have felt the need or desire to learn partner dancing when I did, were it not for Salsa. I loved listening to the music, and wanted to move to it, but the complexity of the rhythms left me a bit at a loss for *how* to move to it. So I took a Salsa class, and have been partner dancing since then. And except for one outing with a dance studio at which I was taking private lessons, I have not done freestyle dancing since then.

I think the problem here is an assumption that all the different forms of dance are filling the same needs, in the same way, for all people.

Freestyle dancing is individual. Partner dancing is collaborative. Freestyle dancing has no rules. If you aren't on beat, you may be an eyesore, but it's a whole lot less painful to watch than to dance with. Partner dancing, whatever the dance, has some basic rules. When I danced freestyle, lessons would have been wasted. I had fun, and I didn't care what people thought of my dancing. I could not undertaken partner dancing without training.

16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Could be questionable............ :confused:

17. toothlesstiger

OK, let's say minimal rules. Boils down to "be nice".

18. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i would go farther and point out that any single form of dance has the capacity to fill different needs for any two given individuals.

from a therapeutic perspective, movement has the capacity have a positive impact on one's emotional frame of mind. that is the basic premise of dance therapy. for those who partner dance, you have added potential benefits of touch therapy. you also have the potential benefits associated with music therapy. you also have physiological benefits in how any physical activity can reduce stress. extroverts recharge from being around people. some people derive value out of mastering a syllabus. some draw additional value out of knowing that their actions contributed to someone else's well-being, or feeling connected through their movement or how they both interpreted the lyricism in the music, the list goes on and on...

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Really, really great points... :cheers:

20. basicarita

basicarita Member

To be abel to better elude the shenanigans of leads that try to elbow you, muscle you, and / or step on your feet?