General Dance Discussion > People who say they LOVE to dance, but have no desire to learn

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by RoyHarper, Apr 8, 2011.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

My point was more, why dance period if you're not going to compete? I only social dance now if I really can't get out of it, since it's not a job and I live far enough away to have an excuse.

Or showcases, I guess. No audience, no point. Social dancing is too much constant adjusting and socializing to no purpose ime.

2. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Oh boy, here we go... LOL!

3. basicarita

basicarita Member

Well ... I'm glad you qualified it as "to no purpose in your experience".

I'll just say I guess some of us are just a little less ambitious than you -- at least when it comes to our dancing -- and leave it at that.

:)

4. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

There are many, many reasons why people dance-other than to compete. However, I am not going to give you any. If you can't think of any...I am going to leave it alone. :eek:

5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

The only reason I compete is to improve my social dancing. :p

6. Kipling

Kipling New Member

I can't think of a better reason to dance....

7. Kipling

Kipling New Member

I don't believe it. You are too nice to avoid dancing with yahoos like me.:D

8. freeageless

TT, very good answer. :D

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

LOL, well, if I actually go to a social I never say no if asked. (Unless I'm actually in pain and sitting out, and that means doesn't matter who asks, I'm sitting out!)

10. Kipling

Kipling New Member

Bwawawaa!!

You mean that dancing with me is not the highlight of your evening?!? Darn, fooled by a pretty smile again! (jumps out window).

Oh well, I always liked Suzy better than you anyway. So there!:p

11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

LOL, to me, the adjustment *is* the challenge and appeal. ;) It's the second reason why I train - to use that technique to adapt:
    -to dancers of varying abilities, especially with regard to balance and volume of movement
    -to dancers who use pattern recognition (requiring me to dig into my bag of American figures) vs. pure lead/follow
    -to dancers who prefer different holds/points of connection
    -to floors of varying speeds, whether hardwood or concrete
    -to varying music, especially non-strict tempo

I want to be a good social dancer - able to dance with anyone, anywhere, anytime, any music.

I like dancing with the person I take lessons and practice with. On a competitive dancing scale, yes, my dancing is best when I dance with her. But if I were to do it all the time, I would get bored. I'm reminded of the olden days when at parties, spouses were never seated next to each other or at the same table, the idea being that they saw each other all the time. Me, I like to have dozens of different (nonverbal) conversations throughout an evening of dancing. :)

12. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

:cheers:

From what I understand, back in the "old days", the average person was expected to have some social dancing skills. If you watch an old movie, there are often scenes where you see a dance floor filled with couples doing a simple foxtrot, waltz or swing - nothing fancy or competition-worthy, just pleasant, basic social dancing. And it was normal to dance with more than one person, not just one's date/spouse/partner. I guess that all changed sometime in the 60's, when social partner dancing fell out of fashion and it became a highly specialized niche hobby.

Now, it seems, some folks get their nose out of joint when the suggestion is made that they could possibly dance with more than one person as part of what is (supposed to be, or at least traditionally is) a social activity. :confused:

13. freeageless

TC, that is exactly my goal. That is why I take classes, practice, read the postings on this board-and ask questions. I find it to be an interesting and exciting journey-though in all honesty-it looks like I have a long way to go. :)

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"Good dancers like to change partners. Fellows take great pride in leading different girls through various steps and patterns. Girls take a lot of pride in being able to follow."

Alma Heaton 1957 Ballroom Dance Rhythms

Anyone see anything that might be considered dated in Heaton's statement?

In the 40s in Los Angeles people who made good wages in the war time industries signed up with studios such as Arthur Murray to learn how to dance to try and improve their social status.

Even in the seventies dance was included in public education, although you have to wonder if students carried it into their adult lives. Even Polka was included in several 70s era texts I've looked at.

And of course there were always the regular people who were out there doing their own thing without any "formal" training. Some of those people were responsible for new dances!

15. Good evening!

Thank you for your posts - they've been enlightening. I've been wanting to post about this for a while, so I'm jumping in with both feet, apologizing in advance if I veer off topic too much.

At the studio where I've taken lessons (private and group) for the past year (and my first year), 85-90% of the couples do NOT dance with other people, whether it's practice dances or socials. Even during the beginners' night with the beginners' half-hour lesson, the instructor does not do rotation lessons and the couples stay together. He dances with the women who do not have partners during the lesson and practice dance. There are always more followers than leaders - available leaders are at a premium, particularly if they currently take lessons. I think there is one available leader who takes lessons regularly. Every once in a while, an available leader will come for a few beginner classes, then they never come back. Occasionally, available leaders will drop in to the social dance but they do not currently take lessons and rely on what they danced with their ex-spouses twenty years ago. We also have a contingency of followers who don't take formal lessons but come for an inexpensive evening of dancing.

The studio owner/instructor also requests/requires the partner-less people to sit together at the practice and social dances - perhaps so he can identify the followers who don't have partners and dance with them.

At first, I was thrilled to dance with the instructor, and I can hold my own, even do well sometimes :D. However, I've discovered that when I try dance with other leaders, I sadly flounder most of the time - no offense to that delicious fish :). And as I've read numerous times in DF, dancing exclusively with the instructor is NOT a good idea, and I can now attest to that from first-hand experience.

I've been cited various reasons the couples won't dance with others, i.e. embarrassment, they came to dance with their partner since they're a couple. And I think that the studio owner not utilizing rotations during lessons doesn't help the situation either, but I suppose he's concerned about losing his couples if he did. Perhaps it's the general paradigm of this particular studio?

The good news is now that I've realized what's happening, I started exploring other studios and have happily found that there's more dance sharing at other places. And I make sure that the leaders know that I'm really trying and am taking lessons - even though I've backed away from privates for just a bit because I think I'm eventually going to change studios and instructors.

Whew. Thank you for letting me share and vent a little bit.

:kitty:

16. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

The only dancing that was include in my 1970's public school education was square dancing.