Ballroom Dance > Perking up dull Swarovski earrings

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by s2k, Jun 6, 2014.

1. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I've got hoops stoned with what is probably ss6 or ss7, and I can't remember the vendor I purchased them from but it was at USDC.

The stones on the hoops have become dull in some places and I'd like to wake them back up to their original sparkle. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that? I'm not sure what type of glue was used.

Thank you!

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

windex....:)...and try never to put hair spray on while you are wearing any of it

Purr likes this.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

You can also use a cotton ball only slightly damped with acetone. Don't soak it or you'll melt the glue.

4. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Thank you - and you're right about hairspray, but I do jewelry right before walking out the door to go downstairs, so unless I walked through a cloud of my roommate's, that isn't the culprit. I got the earrings last September, and have only worn them twice since then, so I am not sure what caused the dulling (perspiration? age? the glue? the way I store them?) but I really appreciate the suggestions from both you and @mindputtee! Thank you!

5. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Are you sure they are Swarovski stones? They could be something else and that is the reason they are dull. Sweat, perfume and hairspray are the main issues with stones on jewelry. Since these are earrings a little gentle liquid soap and water will work too. Swarovski makes a cleaner, but the other suggestions are also good. The glue shouldn't cause a problem, and age is only an issue if the stone isn't very good.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I soak mine.

7. fascination

not sure what the deal is but if mine get too wet stones start to fall off

8. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I haven't yet worked on them, but I had a thought: if Windex would work, what about ammonia cut with water? Since the earrings are only dull in a few spots, so I hadn't thought to soak them, but perhaps rub a bit of liquid with a Qtip or sponge, etc.

9. Larinda McRaven

I don't soak them for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Just while I am doing my makeup. Then I take them out of the sink, rub them down well with a bit of hotel soap between my fingers, pat them dry and leave them out on a towel while I finish my makeup.

Never had a problem losing any stones.

10. TatyZDancer

TatyZDancer New Member

If the stones are dull, glass cleaner might work, but if metal tarnished, it might be the lost case. You can try and get yourself a jewelry cleanser that cleanses non-sterling metal and stones, but as a costume jewelry junky and a former jewelry-maker myself, I can tell you most likely it will not work and you might have to replace it.
    About soaking - if stones are set by glue - it's bad idea, only soak them if they are set with prongs (itsy-bitsy metal "hands" holding them in place securely) or have semi or bull bezel (ring of metal holding them in). Good luck!

11. Larinda McRaven

Most ballroom jewelry is not set in prongs. They are almost all glued. And most ballroom jewelry makers use E6000 which is not water soluble. Again in almost 25 years I have not ruined any ballroom jewelry by soaking it for two minutes.

12. fascination

I have had stones fall out....

13. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Update: I cut ammonia with water and applied with Q-tip. When wet, the stones came alive, and I thought, "EXCELSIOR! It worked!" And then I wiped them down, and they're still a little dull. So I soaked them a bit in the mixture, and wiped a bit with a sponge, and again, when wet, lovely and sparkly again, and then dry: still a bit dull.

The stones in the earrings have that crystal AB red/orange/purple fire to them that my other Swarovski stones have and that Korean stones do not have, and I've never laid eyes on a Precocia stone so couldn't tell you if that's what these stones may actually be.

Considering I've worn these earrings twice and I paid $90 for them, I am %$#@%$. Caveat emptor: pay attention to vendor's names and ask questions about their products . It was the first time I bought a vendor's jewelry rather than DIY and I was completely "stone blinded" by all the shopping at USDC so was not in my right mind. :)

14. Larinda McRaven

Perhaps we should ask the vendors...

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I would use a Q-tip and polish the surface of each stone with a little bit of acetone, as Mindputtee suggested. The Q-tip will give you a bit more control than a cotton ball.

16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical that they are Swarovski stones....

jiwinco likes this.
  17. fascination

swarovskis can get cloudy when sweat and hairspray and tanner are involved....

18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I agree, but i've always managed to clean them (using the above methods) back up to a very decent sparkle in such circumstances.

19. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Yes, but they always clean up nicely. (perfume causes cloudy issues too) I agree with Miss Silly, I doubt they are swarovski. I have had earrings for many years (even before I started my business) and once I clean them with a little soap and water they come right back.

20. PassionateDancer

PassionateDancer New Member

I've used Qtips or a cotton pad soaked (lightly) with a bit of rubbing alcohol and it worked wonders for me.