Tango Argentino > Personal Space in Close Embrace

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by pygmalion, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

:lol: I find it very funny that a man would have that kind of reaction! Actually, in the Standard/Smooth dances I would be uncomfortable if a woman wasn't close enough, because proper form calls for the woman's center to be in contact with the man's right hip at pretty well all times. The best dancers stay in contact even when the man moves backwards, because the woman becomes the lead at that point and should continue to maintain posture.

I try hard to be sensitive to what I feel from the woman. It's pretty easy to sense whether she is used to that kind of advanced technique or not. If so, I go for it because it makes for better looking dancing. If I feel her try to keep her distance I respect that because it makes for better (more comfortable) dancing if she isn't struggling to maintain her distance.

Yes, I am aware of the physical issues of being in such close contact, especially when pushing forward in closed position, but I have never regarded it in a sexual way, not even in Tango. It's just dancing to me.

2. jon

jon Member

Doesn't work so well for me, my partner gets forehead-to-breastbone contact and I get forehead-to-thin-air contact. I think in my next life I'd like to be a bit shorter.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've noticed people with pronounced stooping to achieve that effect of forehead-forehead cheek-cheek!! Is that correct?

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Well in my opinion stooping is wrong because its inelegant. But bending the neck to keep some eye/physical contact with your partner is okay.
    I half expect some women to suffer whiplash injuries from their consistently keeping the head turned one way while their torso is going another. (Just like in the Exorcist!)

I am told there are different frames; v ; milonguero - which I think is full torso contact ; or another where the bodies make chest contact and an A-frame