General Dance Discussion > Personal style of dress?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by the_raven, Aug 18, 2016.

1. the_raven

the_raven New Member

Yes, hi, this ain't exactly a dance topic, but just something I noticed.
    So basically, I noticed that ballet dancers, painters, and actors all dress really well, and I'm not talking about when they're performing or taking photos, I'm talking about everyday clothing.
    I've read a few books and articles on dressing well, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what makes these particular people look so good! Sure, the fit, the colors, the accessories, but they still look different from the non-artistic 'fashionistas'. Any ideas?

Vervang likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Money and fitness.

4. the_raven

the_raven New Member

could you elaborate?

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If you have money and a job that requires you to be fit (dancer, actor) you have the means to buy appropriate attire and are probably going to look good in them. (Not sure where painters come in. Most are not in a financial position to indulge in expensive attire, it's not a job where you must be physically fit to do it. And as far as daily wear goes, you wear something you can paint in...)

6. the_raven

the_raven New Member

But that's not the case. Getting fancy clothes is one thing, but looking well in the ones you have (even the non-fancy ones) is another. I don't know what the situation's like where you live, but here, dancers can't actually afford really fancy clothes, so that's why I'm asking.

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If you mean professionals, they make sufficient money they're not shopping at Wal-Mart's clothing section. They also are, for the most part, required by what they do to be fit and slim, which means they look good in what they wear. (As far as ballroom goes, people are either young and fit, or if pro-am students they have the money to dress well.) Actors basically HAVE to be attractive and know how to enhance it. Again, not seeing how painters could routinely be clumped in with that group. Art students fixated on Being An Artist rather than just working on producing art, perhaps. But historically, it's not a wealthy, attractive group. Especially considering most work in inherently messy media.

stash likes this.
  8. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

You don't necessarily have to be able to "afford" fancy clothes in order to buy them. They might be spending money that other people would put in savings. And dancing is one of those professions that you'll be judged very strongly (by students and by others in the industry) by the image you present.

Larinda McRaven and danceronice like this.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

This is totally a case of "do as I say and not as I do", but it's an unfortunate truth that most people's clothing doesn't actually fit all that well. Even when one isn't buying them at Walmart. If one can't afford custom-made clothing (which is what the successful actors, at least, are probably doing), getting them altered by someone who knows what they're doing can make a big difference.

Of course, off-the-rack clothing tends to fit best on people that are tall (but not too tall*) and slender, so people who fit that category are going to tend to look best even if they don't get their clothes tailored. That is, I want to be very clear, not intended as any sort of a knock on people who don't fit that category.

(* I have a heck of a time finding shirts with sleeves that are long enough that aren't ... voluminous through the chest and waist. Which is something that could be helped with some really simple alterations.)

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about money at all. I think that dancers and other artists just have a really strong sense of self, and that knowledge of who they are comes through in the clothes and accessories they select - and in the confidence with which they wear it. It's about knowing what reflects and suits you (both in personality and body type), and avoiding what doesn't, regardless of what label is on it or what the fashion magazines say is cool.

For example, things I will never look good in: yellows, oranges and pale green; gold jewelry; 'boho chic'; bandeau tops

For personal style reasons, things I will never wear: 'atheleisure'; baseball/trucker hats (with a small exception for a ball cap when out in a boat in the sun); cartoons on anything other than pyjamas and that one Wonderwoman t-shirt I wear to the gym sometimes; any top that means a bra is out of the question; ultra low-rise pants; things that don't match; things that are too big/too small

You can look amazing shopping in second-hand stores, and you can look a wreck spending thousands. Style doesn't come with a price tag.

11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Yes, it is hard to imagine someone in the arts wearing the 'charlie brown look' of oversized t shirt, cargo pants, and giant sneakers. Or the female version, with jeggings and a t.

12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. My pros wife shops at Target for half her stuff and tailors it. She always looks amazing.

ocean-daughter and FancyFeet like this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dance is an art...most artists have a good sense of style...combined with a beautiful canvas, because they are also athletes...and enough cannot be said about the value of a good seamstress

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

having most recently worked in a gym, I fear that too much of my current wardrobe is black and stretchable...in fact, I had a job interview today with a new hospice and I realize that, if they hire me, and I think it is likely, I am going to have to make a big initial investment in wardrobe...having said that, while I don't currently make it a priority, I am acutely aware of how to maximize my assets and minimize my shortcomings...and I think that professional dancers who have to make a living on the credibility of their skill and art would naturally go to pains to continue to present exceedingly well

Vervang likes this.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Do you purchase fitted/slim fit shirts?

16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Of course. They still really kind of needs darts. Or something.

Vervang likes this.