General Dance Discussion > Pet Peeve Phrases

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have a huge pet peeve regarding the use of wrong words when teachers are describing things. As a professional I really should know what I am talking about. I would not go to a mechanic that called the steering column a "pokie stick".

Some of the most egregious offenders are:

• Center of levity. No such thing. Just say lift your sternum.
    • Centering nob. Sounds ridiculous and gross. Just say C1 and C2.
    • Any phrase that starts with "it's just kinda like..." It is NOT "just kinda like..." it either IS or it ISN'T. And as a teacher I should know that.
    • Float. But we don't... so what ARE we doing?

One of my favorite time periods in my career was the years spent coaching at MIT and Yale. Some students were horrified when another student corrected my physics or anatomy. I, however, was rather happy to learn a the correct terminology and definitions.

Anyone else get irritated by inaccurate descriptions of the body or physics?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a joke to me.

"Knob," but agree that it is an unfortunate term for a very useful concept. Got another one besides C1 and C2?

Oh... Ah... just heading out, but, yeah.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  3. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Reminds me of group class, the instructor is talking about parts of the anatomy and there are two students with medical degrees. Even though I don't know the correct names of all the body parts, I can tell that he doesn't either. The doctors aren't making an issue of it though. Guess they're used to lay terms for things and just grin and bear it.

debmc likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

is there any pacific place you'd like to go?....this one slays me

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

My cousin is going to Maui again...

6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I hate it when teachers use the word "resistance." then you have all these women fighting you instead of being connected.

ajiboyet, JohnEm, Loki and 2 others like this.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Resistance, push, pull... tricky words!

Connection is far better.

debmc, Groove On and j_alexandra like this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

C1 and C2... but that is where it is! I could make up a more pleasant imaginary word to describe it but we would be back at the beginning of the thread.

9. Larinda McRaven

Also "point your toes." We are NOT pointing and flexing our toes. Pointing and flexing TOES is just wiggling them! We are pointing and flexing our ANKLE.

debmc, Groove On, twnkltoz and 4 others like this.
  10. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

tbh, I have never heard any of the terms in the OP (probably a good thing). What are C1 and C2?

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

C1 and C2 are the two vertebrae just at the base of the skull.

IndyLady likes this.
  12. fascination

specifically Cervical vertebrae

13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

My coach uses center of levity all the time...but it's forgivable. I know his degree is in psych, not anatomy, so I can forgive use of a phrase that I understand even if it's incorrect.

While I agree that you're never floating as a human (in air, at least), it can be useful to describe the sensation you might experience when body flight is happening.

14. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

I am from San Diego; living in Chicago, I felt a connection to it this past winter. I really had to engage my center of levity to make it through the winter. I thought the first snow storm was pretty cool but if you C1 or C2, you have Cn enough.

My apologies, it is way past my bed time and I knew better than to check in. I am sure I will wake up and beg Fasc to remove this but she has already told me the last time was the last time.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, can you really point your ankle if there's a foot still attached to it?

16. fascination

I have actually heard really big name people use the term...shrug

17. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Actually, in my my ballet classes we worked on pointing the feet, then the toes (two separate points for pointing / flexing) to build better overall foot shape / articulation. So "point your toes" could be an admonishment to finish the foot line you started with your ankle joint.

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I once sat through a lecture in which the professor discussed the role of the "calvary" (instead of "cavalry" in World War I military campaigns.

Hedwaite likes this.
  19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I just get tired of hearing bad analogies with other physical activities I do (most notably comparisons between Standard and figure skating..."It's like skating!" "No! No, it really is not. Come skate with me and I will show you!")

IndyLady likes this.
  20. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

Bad analogies don't bother me too much, they are simply and attempt to connect what someone may know (or in the case of ice skating for a non ice skater) or think they know with a concept that is trying to be taught. My instructor used every analogy she could think of (or make up) to try to get my brain to connect with what she was saying. Were they all accurate? Not at all, but sooner or later she would get through my thick skull with one of them. The ice skating analogy obviously would not work with you but it might get a point across with me since I have no idea how to ice skate. Now if she would have said Tango is like flying an airplane, I simply would not go for it.