General Dance Discussion > Pet Peeve Phrases

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

OMG. It's?
    *Its*

I seen it to late.

j_alexandra, nikkitta and dancelvr like this.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Dance peeve (thank you, AutoCorrect, for catching my dance perve...):

Salseros who insist their On2 dancing inherently means "New York Style". Um, no, that's your timing silly, not your style. We could switch to On1 and still be doin' it up NY style vs Cuban or LA.

Joe and tangotime like this.
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

When I'm talking on the phone with someone and they say "I'll let you go," when I have given no indication that I need to go.

If they want to say "I need to get running," or even more honestly "I'm going to let myself go," fine. But don't pretend you're doing me a favor when I'm happy to continue our conversation. (Seriously, this one bugs me a lot, and my closer friends all know better by now!)

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

going to have to check myself on that....bet I do it

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Definitely guilty here, and I usually feel guilty as I'm saying it because I can hear what it implies.

Less of a pet peeve and more of a funny quirk, I bought a ticket to blackpool today, and the site uses "actually" to mean currently or at present. Correct, by-the-book usage, but not something you hear in America often where "actually" is most commonly a verbal particle indicating surprise or a backhanded compliment.

6. fascination

when I use that term, I do if fact mean "I am sure I have made enough of a pest of myself"...but, reading SD's post, I get the point and will watch myself

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I will say this when I can feel that someone is antsy or distracted on the other end, or it might be shorthand-speak for "sorry, didn't mean to yammer on so" when I didn't check in with them first for their availability. It's not a cop-out for something else. Might be different with your friends, just sharing another perspective. :)

IndyLady likes this.
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Oh, if I say that I'm in the middle of something, or getting ready for something, etc., then it's contextually appropriate. My pet peeve is when I've given zero such indication, and it's just being used to make it sound like they're doing me a favor by doing what they want to do for themselves. Again, I get that it is a learned social "nicety," and am not going to harass someone just because they say it. It is a pet peeve however, and one my close friends learn. :)

9. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'd rather your car didn't break down when you need to brake.

Suitably enlightening?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    dbk likes this.
  11. tancos

tancos Active Member

When someone asks "May I join you?" I sometimes answer "Am I coming apart?".

samina likes this.
  12. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

So what is a preferable alternative? I sometimes forget to laugh at smart-aleck answers...

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Not a phrase, but using ,,, instead of ...

14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I like to picture them taking three short gulps of air in quick succession!

SwayWithMe and mindputtee like this.
  15. fascination

depends upon how dark the room, how much wine consumed, and whether or not there is a cat upon my lap :)

16. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

"Happy belated birthday". Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. A birthday (anniversary) falls on a given day, regardless of whether your belated expression of a wish for the other person to have happy birthday.

Say "Belated happy birthday" and I'll let the rest slide.

Jag75, SwayWithMe, debmc and 2 others like this.
  17. ollielaven

ollielaven New Member

"I'm not asking for myself, I'm asking for everyone since I don't think they know what to do"
    Okay then wise guy lol

IndyLady likes this.
  18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

When and why did the phrase "out of pocket" become a substitute for "unavailable"?
    As in:
    Question: Do you want to meet for lunch tomorrow? Answer: I can't, I'm "out of pocket" tomorrow.
    or
    Question: I've got that item you wanted - shall I drop it off after work today? Answer: No, I'm "out of pocket" tonight.

Annoying.

19. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I think it's been around for a while. When I switched departments a few years ago, my then-new boss used this phrase a lot. It took me a few times to even catch what he was saying, and I thought it was weird. Then I heard *his* boss use it and I knew it was over. (I too am not a fan of this terminology).

I'm starting to hear "easy peasy" a lot lately, which is also weirding me out.

Finally, my company has started to use airplane metaphors to describe corporate initiatives... e-mail updates from the CEO regularly include notes about "planes in the air" and "landing planes". I wonder if airplane execs use insurance metaphors to sound cool when they talk about their company initiatives and projects.

20. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

I think it came about as the opposite of "in the pocket"
    example "Jane is totally in Beth's pocket" Which implies that Jane is at Beth's beck and call, always in control of where she goes, what she does, and who she sees. So, if she's out of pocket...just the opposite.