General Dance Discussion > Pet Peeves at Dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

IMV, others are free not to enjoy learning but for me, it's my crack. :)

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nobody cuts in. recipe for disaster, kipling! :)

well, unless it's for fun... like switching partners, playing one lead to two follows, that sorta thing. that's different, tho...common in the hustle world, mebbe salsa too.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fun doesn't also always mean one is gushing the whole time they are learning...my fun is improving...not always short -term pleasant...but is long-term fun

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. overcoming frustration and limits can be "fun", in that one is whole-heartedly engaged in the moment, and loving the journey...

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath. ;) I just replaced my first cell phone this winter (it was a Motorola i530 and the battery couldn't hold a charge any more) and the replacement? A Sanyo of...some kind. Is fancy because it has a camera. (I cannot get the photos OFF it, as I don't have a data plan, but it has a camera.) I dithered over a crackberry but realized I'd be paying $70+ a month to waste even more time on the internet.

(I don't have any sort of portable mp3 player or iPod, either.)

6. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Crackberries are already obsolete. You need an iPhone. And a way to make fire without flint and lint. Heh, heh, heh...

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Back in the day the girls in our club had a signal for asking to be cut in on if they got stuck dancing with someone they'd rather not be...they'd mimic scissors by tapping their middle and index fingers together.

8. Kipling

Kipling New Member

LOL. Priceless!

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hah... like

10. kckc

kckc Active Member

wow, I thought I was the only one! I haven't even replaced my first cell phone yet, only have had it for <3 yrs and I have no intention of getting one of them newfangled fancy phones! Mine has a keyboard and a camera. No iPod, iPad or anything other gadget. And yet I seem to have survived :)

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Amazing, isn't it? I don't have a smartphone or an iPod or an iPad or an mp3 player AND THE WORLD HAS NOT ENDED. (I don't even have a flatscreen TV. The one I have works fine and I'd rather have the floors in the house redone, refinish the kitchen, remodel the guest bath, have the roof reshingled, paint the house...the old TV will work 'til it dies. The laptop is also perfectly adequate as I mostly use it for the internet and WordPerfect--I don't need a touchscreen for that.)

12. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I too have been refusing to get a data plan. Although I do have an ipod.

Have to say though...feeling tempted now that Verizon has the iphone.

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have a question about this little what I see as a grey area of the social dance etiquette. I was dancing with a guy and we had an okay dance and then it ended. He asked me for the next dance as well but I was a little out of breath so I indicated to him that I wanted to get water. I did so and then maybe a half minute or a minute later another guy asked me to dance and by this time I had recovered from the other dance. I had been kind of eyeing this guy all night and wanted to get a chance to dance with him, was it rude of me to accept his invitation even though I hadn't really turned down the dance with the other guy, I had just needed a short break?

14. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

That's a grey area. IMO, asking for a second dance in a row is ok, but you shouldn't be able to hold the askee to it if they say no. After all, you aren't giving them a chance to hide from you before you ask. :)

If it was me, I'd probably just say to the guy that asks that I was sitting out this one, but please come get me for the next. I try to err on the side of non-offensive (in dance etiquette, if nothing else). But I don't think you were wrong here, after all, you weren't lying, you needed a break, you took a break.

15. mindputtee

Yeah, and I'm always careful that if I turn someone down for a dance I won't accept anyone else for it, and am pretty good about it. The greyness came in that I had just danced one with him and needed water and if he had waited for me to grab water I would have gladly danced the next with him too, but he kind of disappeared. I hope he found someone else to dance with and didn't notice I was dancing with someone else later on.

I have a big pet peeve about people who don't take care to wear deodorant or brush their teeth though. I'm very sensitive to smells and it could have been the best dance dance wise but if you smell I just can't take it. I'm obsessively eating mints and drinking water at dances because I don't want to have smelly breath. I was dancing with this guy at the last dance I was at and he had the worst breath of anybody I've ever smelled. In latin it wasn't so bad because he was farther away and I couldn't smell it as much but in standard it was awful and I kept trying to get my head position farther and farther out to get away from it.

16. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I'm not saying that anyone should put up with nasty odors, but medical and dental conditions can cause foul breath, periodontal disease being quite noticeable according to DP. Sometimes having an empty stomach can also cause bad breath. Just sayin'...

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not exactly rude, but don't be surprised if the other guy whom you had just told you were tired / thirsty never asks you again.
    If you didn't say that to him, how would he know that?
    I would interpret "I'm tired and want to get some water" as a polite brush off.

Again, not exactly rude, but with consquences...

18. mindputtee

I hope not, I feel kind of bad now. :oops:

I have to be honest that I wasn't exactly using words, I was quite winded after that dance. I think I just kind of gasped water and pointed. I need to work on endurance :-(

I know how that can be, and I'm not going to hold it against someone, but it makes it very uncomfortable to dance with them. =\

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

WOW, this thread is STILL going 8 years later! :mrgreen:

OK, here's one that has recently driven me nuts to the point I stopped going to one particular dance for a while, maybe for good, playing the SAME EXACT SONGS with little to ZERO variation week after week. I think that in part, it's the reason that attendance at this particular social dance has dropped off so badly ((the last couple times I hardly got to dance much), the last few times I went, it was like a ghost town, just needed tumbleweeds and whistling winds to complete the picture. ARRRRRGH! :headwall:

It's a shame really, because the studio has a great staff, excellent location, nice floor with lots of room. but if they keep going like this, I wonder.

I don't know if any of you have seen "Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" where Gordon dispenses some tough love and helps a failing restaurant turn itself round. I think there needs to be a show like that for dance studios, Len Goodman's Dance Studio Nightmares anyone?

20. Great good afternoon!

PhilOwl, that has to be one of the best ideas I've heard in a long, long time! I love it! :banana: