General Dance Discussion > Pet Peeves at Dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Eeyup. There' s a studio here that uses the same playlist for months on end. It gets to the point that you know exactly what song is coming up next, no matter when you walk in the door.

OTOH, I think the predictability helps some newbs - no surprises, so they aren't frantically trying to figure out what to dance. Well, that and the fact that they usually tell eveyone what type of song it is. ;)

2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Thanks, I can TOTALLY picture Len giving out some of that "tough love"

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

They do announce what kind of dance it is before each song which is perfectly fine, I actually like that. ;) I guess for us intermediate to advanced folks some variety is a good thing too.

4. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

The trend is getting worse because the music tends to be the same songs in the same techno disco style -- or maybe it's because that music all sounds the same. Whatever the case too much of it is being played. It's even creeping into country ballrooms.

This de-evolutionary trend seems to be especially bad wherever West Coast Swing is being played.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

LOL. Reminds me of s0me die-hard traditional milongas I've been to. Combine a limited repertoire, with rules about The Way It Is To Be Done, and the same dj, and leaders of limited skill over whom the music seems to have limited influence beyond establishing the basic beat and there you have it.

6. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Yeah, that sounds familiar ;)

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

and that reminds me of a die hard traditional dj who ignored the liveley set played by a live band and went back to his playlist with no consideration of the energy generated by the band and pretty much killed the milonga for the rest of the evening...

8. RoyHarper

RoyHarper Member

A friend and I were talking about a very similar phenomenon recently. I'm talking about folks who only engage in the club-style booty-shaking, and who take pride in the fact that they don't bother with learning latin dances, or ballroom dances, or swing. They say, "It's all about fun for us. We're the kind of people who know how to have fun!"

Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible or improper to have fun just by shaking it around like a Polaroid. A lot of people do genuinely enjoy that sort of thing. (I hasten to emphasize this, simply because this is an occasionally touchy subject and some people tend to be overly quick with their criticisms on the 'net.) However, there's a certain amount of reverse snobbery at play when people treat club-style shaking and grooving as though it's the fun way to dance, while thinking that more skilled dancers are somehow less capable of enjoying themselves.

9. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Perhaps some freestylers interpret the sometimes (often?) seen intensity of ballroom and / or Latin dancers as a lack of fun.

10. RoyHarper

RoyHarper Member

Perhaps. Personally though, I think it has more to do with a phenomenon that several other posters have pointed out before -- namely, that if it requires effort to learn or time to develop, then many people will interpret that as "not fun."

11. Hock Siew

Hock Siew New Member

I agree that this is a grey area. I wouldn`t mind if I knew that the whole incident was totally innocuous :) I`ve been on the receiving end several times before, but under slightly different circumstances. On those occasions, it was the first dance that I was asking for, but the girl that I had asked said she`d just gotten off the floor and wanted a drink, and that she`ll dance with me after that. She doesn`t come back and I see her dancing with someone else later (can`t remember whether it was the same song). Sometimes with the noise of the music, you can`t clearly hear the other person speaking. So I wasn`t sure if she wanted to come back and dance that same song, or whether she wanted to dance some other song later in the night. Also, I wondered whether she had tried to find me, but couldn`t; in which case I would feel bad about it, eventhough I didn`t go anywhere!

If she had wanted to dance the same song, it could sometimes take a while, waiting for her to come back; especially if she had to get the drink from the bar or if she was side-tracked. On the other hand, if it was not clear whether she intended to dance to that particular song, then I had to wait for her, possibly wasting part of or all of the song. The worse possible scenario would be that I misunderstand and thinks she wants to dance a different song, and go ahead and ask another girl to dance; and it turns out she was looking for me after that and found me dancing with someone else! Has this ever happened to anyone here and how did you take it? I would try to assume that it`s just a misunderstanding; but sometimes, not everyone would.

So now, whenever this happens, I try to make it clear what her intention was. I might say something like "All right, I`ll wait here for you", to let her know that I will be waiting for her; or "Sure, we`ll have a dance later in the night", so that we would both be free to dance with anyone else at that time :)

12. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of this post from the Declining Dance Invitations thread. :)

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Oh wow! Haha. I only decline dances when I'm just too tired to do it. Like when a quickstep comes on right after I've danced a long viennese. I just can't do that. I'm more inclined to tell them to find me for a later dance rather than promising the next or whatever. Or if anything I'll promise them the next of that type of dance that comes on. Other than that for the most part I engage in this:

There are just some guys who are creepy and I don't like having to tell them no, so I get a friend to grab me instead when they are headed over, or avoid eye contact as much as possible.

14. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

We always used the practice of "reminding" someone in our group that they'd promised us this dance (which was non-negotiable). Failing that, we resorted to running for one-another when certain dances came on... it was always sad to get half way across the floor to find my intended partner had already been picked off by the guy I was trying to save her from.

15. demoiselle

demoiselle Active Member

There is this one practice party where, out of five times I've been asked to dance, twice I was abandoned in the middle of the floor by my partners and the third I was yanked around painfully by the leader until I said "Thank you for the dance" and stepped away myself (we were already at the edge of the floor). I felt bad about the last, since I had been embarrassed to be abandoned mid-dance in the middle of the floor by the others--but the guy was truly hurting me and I had put up with it for three or four minutes already.

The fourth guy lectured me the whole time. And I had one good dance with someone who I'd brought over from a different dance style's practice party.

The experience makes me wary about attending this style's party again.

16. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Ouch! Sorry you had a bad experience. Welcome to DF!

17. demoiselle

demoiselle Active Member

Thank you! My solution is to get my spouse to learn that dance style and take *him* to the practice parties.

twnkltoz likes this.
  18. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Just to consider: the person you abandoned... What did he feel when you did that? And, the people who abandoned you might say the same about you being a difficult person to dance with. Such is the social world. And remember, your dance level precludes your happiness... A better dancer always has the worse time lol

19. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Maybe this belongs in the "Funny Habits of your Pro" thread, but since we're here....

Pro and I had been preparing for an upcoming comp. At the weekly studio party, we would practice our amalgamations during the dances that we danced together. He would stop after the first run-through of the amalgamation (about 1 minute or so) and then walk me off the floor. Now, generally the instructors DJ, so I am used to having to finish up a dance early if an instructor is pulling double duty, but then one time I noticed that while I was standing on the sidelines he had started dancing with a different student (fwiw - I was his only student at that studio prepping for a comp). Needless to say, I found this rather rude. We don't have to do the sequence twice, but I do expect my partner to finish out the song with some syllabus or other moves.

So, at our next lesson, I told him that I thought our amalgamations needed to be longer, maybe a couple minutes. He looked at me, puzzled, and I said, it's so that you don't finish the sequence up so early that you have to leave me in the middle of a song at party (obviously, I wasn't serious, it was deadpanning humor, since I'd found that direct constructive criticism sometimes did not go over well with this pro). Fortunately, he got the joke, probably because I needled him about it a couple more times, and problem was solved.

20. demoiselle

demoiselle Active Member

It is possible that he felt bad, but he was physically hurting me, repeatedly. Perhaps I should have said, "Thank you, but you are hurting me." I also didn't leave him in the middle of the dance floor--at the very least, we walked off to the side together.

It is possible that the leaders who left me felt I was pulling on them--but unlikely. After these experiences I talked to my pro/teacher about the issue specifically and was told that it certainly wasn't me, that I am a good follower and am light and easy to dance with/don't yank people around. I think I did my due diligence by checking out with my teacher(s) (I've asked another pro, too, and he confirmed) whether I am doing anything with my following to cause this issue.

There has to be a balance between rudeness of walking away with someone because they are a beginner and protecting yourself from pain, right? And isn't there a difference between leaving someone alone in the middle of the floor and at least accompanying them off the floor?

I am not sure what you mean about dancing level precluding happiness.