General Dance Discussion > Pet Peeves at Dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Bad manners on the dance floor

How about smoking? Most of the latinos at the dance parties I produce/frequent are very heavy smokers! I HATE this! I end up getting a sore throat, stinking like cigarette smoke at the end of the evening and am constantly concerned about getting burned. While at a hip-hop dance club once I was burned on the hand by some guy holding a cigarette just standing on the dance floor. Tobacco & alcohol(or any liquids for that matter) should definitely NOT be allowed on the dance floor.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good one, cocodrilo.

Did I ever tell you about the time I lost my voice for over a week? Allergic reaction to cigarette smoke. Grr. :x

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Cigarette burn

That cigarette burn blistered and left me with a burn mark the size of a pea on the top of my hand. It was real pretty. I heard that there is a club in Hawaii that has "non-smoking salsa nights". It should be worldwide!

4. lily

lily Member

How about this one - the dancer who spends the whole dance looking for his or her next partner?

There's a guy I often see at the dances I go to who's a dream to dance with. He's an excellent lead and always does really original fun moves with me. But, the problem is that while we're dancing together, he always seems to be looking for the person he will invite next. Either that or he's looking around to see who's watching him dance. He does look and smile at me while we're dancing, but not as much as watching the rest of the dance floor! I've also been on the other end of this - if he sees me looking at him when he's dancing with someone else, he keeps looking over to me and smiling rather than concentrating on his partner.

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I would get irked if a guy I was dancing with was scoping out the dance hall while we danced. Sounds like a show-off. If he's good dancer, though, and this doesn't bug you, then just continue to dance with him!

6. lily

lily Member

Good point! I think he probably is a show off but he's so good to dance with that I guess I'll just put up with it!

7. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

One of my pet peeves is couples who insist on staying in the fast lane near the edge of the floor while doing nothing more than the basic box step in something like Waltz.

Also, couples who practice a different dance than the music that's playing. If you're going to do that, please move to the practice floor. This is especially annoying when they are doing a Quickstep during something like a Cha Cha, flying through the groups of dancers so you never know where you can go for travelling back locks and such. Grrrr.

8. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i suppose, but i doubt i'd be sympathetic were this person to be behind the wheel of a tractor trailer!

i'd pay money for a videotape of that event.

there's a guy like that here in my dance circles. the only reason he doesn't hit more people is because we keep our eyes peeled for him. he's gotten better, but four years ago at one new year's eve party he kept running rampant unil i started sounding my party favor every time he headed straight for another couple. the noise kept startling him and he'd stop. eventually, everyone on the floor except figuring out what i was doing & came by to thank me.

you know, as i think more about this blind leader i find myself questioning the propriety of having a blind leader on a dance floor, at least a crowded floor...

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the consumption of alcohol generally decreases the level of courtesy. but if the place serves alcohol, it's first and foremost a bar and if $ is the bottom line, the owners are more likely to accomodate the imbibers than the dancers; $ come from beverage sales.

---------------------------
    " I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means "put down." -- Bob Newhart --

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

"sorry, but i just turned down an invitation to dance" is generally sufficient explanation for someone who understands etiquette. but if they retain a quizzical look on their side, you can explain "it would be rude to them to accept a dance with you for this song."

people observe etiquette generally because they don't want to give offense. but it's helpful to remember that some folks just don't care about the consequences. these people are one of the reasons tasers were invented. tasers and electric cattle prods.

11. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Re: Bad manners on the dance floor

I am SO thankful I havent had to experience that! You are not allowed to smoke indoors here in Aus,it is against the law.

I found the inside outside lane topic VERY interesting... I had no idea it existed and I have to say all my group has been rudely breaking this rule for a long time :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will certainly be telling them all to move now!

12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

a good host always supplies a dish full of mints

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I prefer places where they are courteous to newcomers and you get a warm welcome, rather than venues where the reaction seems to be"Lawdy-be well hush my mouth, a stranger, well the audacity of some folk, well I'm having no truck with him."
    This assumes you are not going for dramatic effect and have not just entered like Clint Eastwood/Zorro/Darcy and women are swooning left right and centre.

My ex-girlfriend used to do that to me!!

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Re: Cigarette burn

Thats one of the great things about California... its illegal!!! :banana:

No smoking in *any* public building, bars and nightclubs included! Go CA! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

before or after you broke up?

16. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I must admit that is one of the best things about our state. Here we just have people who stand right by the doors and smoke, leaving a pile of butts around for posterity's sake. We have a "20 foot rule" where I work and for most people its a one or two foot rule. :roll:

I'd say beat em all up, but they'll probably get lung cancer first so no worries there. :wink:

17. danceguy

danceguy New Member

This one has probably been mentioned, but one of the worst for me is when your partner becomes engrossed in watching another couple dance, and then will stop dancing with you to watch and say "look at them dance, they are so good!" :headwall:

I had a girl do this in class a while ago, and I said to her "if you ever want to get as good as they are, let's stop standing around and get back to praciticing!"

Some people. :roll:

18. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

In the country clubs here in San Antonio we have a lot of people who wait till the dance floor gets nice and crowded and then decide to start dancing against line of dance during a waltz or two step. I don't care when its early and I have lots of room to sidestep them but once it gets crowded and you can't move it just creates collisions and frustration.

19. LindyQuest

LindyQuest New Member

Errr... :x
    Last night when I went dancing there were tons of people, which was cool, lots of new people. But for some reason most of them felt the need to stand and gab in the middle of the dance floor. There must have been almost as many people talking on the dance floor as dancing! It was so tough to even try to dance, because you were always running into someone. It was obvious they didn't know any dance floor etiquette, and I thought about asking the DJ to maybe make an announcement for people who weren't dancing to leave the floor, but I didn't. I ended up mostly sitting out for the first hour or so, until some of them left, then I was finally able to dance after that.
    Hopefully this doesn't happen again next week... ':headwall:'

20. Tasek

Tasek New Member

False advertising, has happened a few times to me, events announced as 'Salsa night' should have more then say one salsa played per hour.