General Dance Discussion > Pet Peeves at Dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Drinks on the dance floor. they got no business there. Another thing I see a lot at country clubs.

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Dance is about dance. If it is not a practice and some people are doing something interesting - it is fun to watch them. If she notices someone who is interesting to watch - you can do basic for a while, discuss other dancers, talk, laugh, and then dance (really well) the next song.

There is nothing wrong with watching other people dancing, even while dancing, unless it happens every dance, every single song.

Isn't dancing all about having fun with your partner? You are leading her, so that she can dance, inviting her to dance, so that it is fun for her, she is following and flirting with you - so that it is fun for you. So why can't you let her do something she wants for a while?

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Drinks are ok. If you don't want to drink - don't drink. If other people want to drink - it is their own business. Unless they are so drunk that they bump into people and are behaving inappropriately - why not?

If they do behave inappropriately - thats not nice, but it is not nice in any environment, not just on the dancefloor.

Everybody can have fun on dancefloor in any way they like.

4. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

I disagree. You can put your drink down for one song. Your beer will still love you when you come back. Most place here will send the bouncers after you to remove the drink from you hand. Almost all the country clubs have a railing where you can set you drink down while your dancing.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I agree, drinks have *no* business *on* the dance floor! :x

6. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I didn't mean to drink and dance at the same time, especially if it is not permitted (how could you think I'd defend behavior that is not permitted?). But to drink at a bar and then go dance, if it is allowed - why not? (I personally don't do that, but I don't like people that have all these principles like "I don't drink ever" and then try to impose those principles on everybody else and conclude that everyone who drinks is "evil".

I've seen people drinking and then dancing, but not at the same time - I can't even imagine that. Sorry if I misunderstood what was been talked about.

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No problems Kitty... I just took this literally. Drinking *on* the floor. And yes, I have seen this!

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Well, we all have our different views on things. I just find it very rude when you are dancing with someone and then in the middle of a song and they stop to watch someone else. That's almost as bad as walking away and leaving you on the dance floor.

People can and should do whatever they want, but anyone who does that to me at a social dance will not be getting asked to dance again by me anytime soon! :?

9. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I generally don't drink much at all when I am out for a night dancing. Usually only water. I don't know about in the US, but I have always been told that it is not a good thing to leave a drink unattended and then come back to it. You don't know what someone may have slipped in it. Doesn't happen that often, but you just never know who is hanging around. The only time I will leave a drink unattended is if a good and trusted friend is staying at the table. Otherwise, I'll generally take a final swig before I get up, then buy another drink when I get back.

With this in mind, I can understand why some people take their drink on the dancefloor with them. Doesn't mean I like it, but you can never be too careful these days.

Not worth the risk.

10. JohnK

JohnK New Member

I have to agree with Scorpionguy, if one has agreed to dance to begin with, then the agreement should be honored for the duration of the dance. Dance requires at least some concentration. Letting one's attention wander away during a dance is impolite, stopping is downright rude.

11. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

I totally agree with ScorpionGuy and JohnK. One is supposed to dance "for" their partner. It´s a one-to-one relationship for a 4 minute period. Watching another couple dance is very rude because you are making one or possibly all of the following statements:

- I wish I was dancing with "him" instead of with you
    - I´m bored with you
    - Does this song ever end?
    - I´m doing you a big favour...
    - How come you´re not as good as that guy?
    - Why do only beginners ask me to dance?
    - Can´t wait for the song to end and ask the other guy...

It´s like having dinner with someone who´s not paying attention to you or your conversation. Very annoying and impolite.

If one wants to watch another couple dancing than just sit the dance out. Once on the dancefloor, you should respect your partner even if he or she has 2 left feet.

12. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Ok, I see where the problem is. I wouldn't stop in the middle of my first dance with a partner who I don't know too well, or with who I don't dance often, but I sometimes do when I'm dancing with my boyfriend (we dance with each other like every other dance) - I know we'll dance again and if I want to watch something (like two guys dancing together, or our coach dancing with someone, or my friend making up unexistent steps:)) this one time - it is ok. He even leads me into position from which the view is better, and then does some basic steps for a while. We talk about it too. (but the whole watching thing doesn't happen more than like twice in the evening).

13. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Don't you mean "nonexistent?" :lol:

My dancing pet peeves...

...men who insist upon dancing with you although they do not seem to know what deoderant is (or its uses).

...hoardes of teenagers that take up half the dance floor in little clusters just talking (because mom and dad dumped them off here to get them out of the house for the evening).

...men who, may be more experienced dancers and make sure you KNOW that, insist upon doing all sorts of fancy footwork that you cannot follow because it in no way resembles any type of dance you have ever seen. ;)

...women that treat you like pond scum because her husband/fiance/boyfriend asked YOU to dance.

14. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

As a teenager dancing, men much older than my parents whom I've never met who insist on dancing very very close are a big pet peeve of mine. I dance with plenty of older people (there aren't many people here my age who dance!) and don't intend this to be mean to people who are older than me, but please don't get all close and touchy with people less than half your age!

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just curious, delamusica. What kinds of dances are these guys asking you for? Latin/rhythm or smooth/standard or other? And would it bother you if guys closer to your age were the ones doing the asking?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what we're working with, here, so we can formulate a strategy that keeps you from feeling ... uncomfortable. (Guys who get too close gross me out, too.)

16. pygmalion

Just to clarify a little -- it will be a lot easier for you to stay comfortable with Latin/rhythm dances, since, except for bolero, there is technically speaking no body contact. Smooth dances do have body contact, so keeping your distance may be more difficult.

17. Suaveson

Suaveson New Member

I've witnessed all of these pet peeves mentioned in this thread, some I laugh at and some I just step back and shake my head at. The bottom line is some people just don't get it(lack of common sense or respect(self-respect and respect for other around))

A couple tips to avoid some of these situations....

-Go out in groups with friends & family because if all else fails you can still dance with them.

-Keep your eyes open, avoid people who have had too much to drink because they don't realize they might be fat, sweaty, and alcohol reeks from their pores and breathe.

18. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

it doesn't really seem to matter - foxtrot, waltz, and salsa are where i notice it the most - it's easier to keep your own distance in some other dances (like chacha or jive).

it wouldn't bother me really if the guys were closer to my own age - i'm all for some good flirting on the dance floor! :wink: but it's kind of wierd and uncomfortable when the guy flirting with you more closely resembles your grandfather than your boyfriend!

19. pygmalion

Okay. So for the waltz and foxtrot and salsa you have to tell the old guys no nicely. How about,"I can't dance this one, but would you save me a rumba (or cha cha or jive -- something with some distance to it LOL) ?" All with a nice smile. Then sit it out. Don't accept the dance with someone more palatable.

And for the smooth dances and salsa? Not sure yet, but I'm sure that, collectively, we can come up with a strategy that works and keeps you dancing. I'll think about it. do you know any guys closer to your age that you'd like to dance with?

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

i've been training at my studio for seven years, so most everyone knows that i can do the dances. and usually this happens when i'm dj-ing the weekend studio practice parties, so it's hard turn down people who come in every week without seeming rude - especially when the everyone but me and one guy are there in couples and everyone else is up dancing! it's not really a terrible problem - just a little pet peeve, and at least i'm getting to dance at all!