Salsa > Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

Here are mine:

:evil: She'll be back :evil: : No emotions or playfulness when dancing, intense focus on each move, no eye contact, must... resist... emotions...

:evil: Bikhram Salsa :evil: : Heat makes your limbs limber and more flexible, hence bar owners turn off the air conditioning when there are 100+ people in a crowded room. Because everyone loves a sweaty back.

:evil: 'Salsa' DJs :evil: : 3 minutes salsa + 2 hours bachata + 2 hours cha cha + 4 minutes merengue + 20 minutes lambada + 20 minutes samba = SALSA nights!

What's yours?

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

lol

:lol: Too funny your posts brujo...
    I live in NY City so all the places we frequent each day is about 95% salsa all night long. :D :D :D :D :D

Mine are...
    Everyone here in NY City is an instructor
    A person goes to eddie torres all of the sudden they are gods gift to dancing,
    No emotion when dancing,
    No eye contact,
    Too many spins and moves and not enough dancing,
    Everyones fav singer is lavoe yet fail to recognize his voice in way famous song
    Dance Cliquesssssss....
    Too much politicas when we should be dancing...

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Man you both hit most of mine! I'll add visiting a new city where you're not known and not being able to even beg a dance! Then once you finally do get one and they all see you're pretty good, everyone wants to dance with you!

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Regarding everything said so far....DAMN STRAIGHT! :x

5. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

:lol: this is such a funny post!

To add to the list:

way too much (or too long) solo shines...I always thought salsa is a partner dance :wink:

6. SDsalsaguy

What? It is? NOW you tell me! :wink:

7. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Well here are mine:

1. Guys pushing and pulling their partners (Hey it gives us
    guys a bad rep. and personally I don't what that guy to be
    my representative at a club for someone new to salsa dancing...)

2. Dancing with both feet on the floor, not moving, but
    spinning the crap out of each other.

3. Moving arms like they're churning butter...

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Salsarhythms,

You will not believe this, but it's true. About three months ago, I complained to my teacher/coach about a 300-pound guy, G., who pushed, pulled, and everything else, lots of women including me.

My coach said, "just do your part. You can train him to dance well."

Of course, I didn't believe my coach, but I decided to try it anyway. After about six weeks of rehearsals, G. started dancing light! I never said a word to him. I just danced my part so he could feel me. It took a month and a half, but he lightened up.

Lousy leads are bad, no argument. But follows need to dance their part, regardless. You never know what might happen. Guys might take the (back)lead. :)

9. brujo

brujo New Member

Re: lol

Isn't this a big problem in salsa? I find that many people ( in Toronto at least ) don't speak Spanish and miss out on many of the intricate things that goes on in the lyrics.

In merengue songs particularly, there seems to be more playful instruction that are thrown in by the singer. (Put your hand up! Shake your knat! Do your income taxes in Hebrew! ).

Even more unfortunate is that some of the songs have amazing meaningful messages that are often ignored, and the songs in heavy rotation in the dance floor are usually the trite 'I think of you every moment with love and love and LUV...' songs. If you have a spare moment, read through some of Ruben Blades' lyrics, particularly 'Desapariciones' and 'Prohibido Olvidar'.

I really hope that Aventura's 'No lo perdona Dios' doesn't catch on, it's very hard to keep your mind on bachata when the song you're dancing with is condemning abortion...

my $0.02...

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

That is what is great about salsa. If the couple dancing together manages to make the onlooker feel like the dancers never lost contact of each other, yet all they've done throughout the song is solo shines... That to me is the absolute partner work. Being able to dance solo with your partner yet feel the couple work within the solo is absolute extasy... A lot of people can't pull it of because they are too worried about doing their own thing that they forget the other half of the dance right across their face...

11. brujo

brujo New Member

When researching the word 'shines', I found a source that listed it as 'Let her shine'. I find the Spanish version of the phrase, 'Dejala que se defienda', more interesting, Dejala que se defienda loosely translates to 'Let her defend herself', which evokes the image of the follow alone on the dance floor, with swarms of dangerous dancers all around her.

While I have seen some amazing solo shines ( Dancefloor masturbation, as someone in SalsaMafia calls it ), I find it more incredible to see really good dancers play with the footwork while mantaining a strong connection with each other. Besides, it's always nice to have a beatiful woman be the set of eyes behind my back. :lol:

12. SDsalsaguy

And nicer yet to have a beautiful woman be the set of eyes looking back into mine :!:

13. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Question

How exactly does this work? How do you follow each other or maintain the connection while doing solo shines?

14. brujo

brujo New Member

Re: Question

Um, they don't do solo shines. That's my point. Footwork is incorporated into the dancing, and not isolated into solo shines.

On a side note, there is also the whole virtual salsa thing where the dancers know each other (or the patterns) so well that they don't need to be holding hands with each other, but can dance without touching each other. I've seen two of the more advanced dancers in TO try this and it's pretty amazing. I guess you would have to refrain from dips and the neckdrop :roll:

15. SDsalsaguy

Wouldn't that actually be a more literal version of the neck drop? :wink:

16. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Re: Question

17. xstasy

xstasy New Member

Hysterical replies! LOL!

Here are mine:

:arrow: Guys who use women like a spinning prop to their dancing :shock: .

:arrow: Same old popular salsa songs that are played over & over at all the clubs all the time. :( It's such an abuse that most dancers already have a well-versed routine for these songs.

:arrow: Guys who don't dance, but stand next to the girl & (as another commentator stated) look like they're churning butter. :lol: It looks like the opposite of the River Dance where only the arms move & the rest of the body remains still.

:arrow: Sticky floors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x All we want to do is dance - cant the floors at least be maintained?!?! Forget about replenishing the liquor - clean the floors!

:arrow: Guys who dance solely with a select few all the time & deny us new kids on the block a chance to learn from them. There are a few "good" dancers that do sahre the love & though I'm usually intimidated by them and decline :oops: , I like that they make the effort to dance with a new face :) .

18. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

No, No, don't decline! Accept and enjoy the dance :)

19. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

peeves

Getting pulled around by an overly-demanding lead. Hello, I can do this without you giving me 123.5 pounds of pressure on my hands! Argh!

Cliques. Advanced dancers, please help the newbies. And the intermediates -- we don't have cooties!

If a follow doesn't get it the first time, smile, move on, and give her a few moves she knows before trying it again -- give her a chance to learn and adapt.

Inane conversation. If I get asked "Are you married?" as a conversation opening ONE more time I'm gonna ...

Guys who won't take no for an answer. I am saying no for a reason, and usually I'll give you one (I'm tired/feet need a break, I have this one saved for so and so, etc) -- even if I don't, it does not mean that you keep asking. That will not make me more inclined to dance with you -- au contraire!

Slippery shoes -- see my issue on the General Dance board about soles. *woe woe woe*

Melissa

20. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

:arrow: Guys who use women like a spinning prop to their dancing :shock: .

hehehe. I love to spin but when I start teetering, the guy should get a clue. :)

Melissa