Ballroom Dance > Picking a Pro for pro/am

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by billman, Jul 6, 2013.

1. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I don't really get your drift... too much lingo... haha :p

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

when you play baskeball in HS it occurs at a certain speed as you move into the college ranks the game gets faster the competitors more athletic talented etc

thats how it is with am am vs pro am well im a senior so that might be part of it too

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

oh, you better duck and hide after that one!

4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup! This is what I do. My am partner is currently 4 hours away, which isn't impossible, but also precludes daily, even weekly practice. There is, however, a very talented pro couple less than 20 minutes away, so I take lessons with both of them. Then when I go up and practice with my am partner, we take lessons with the Chicago coach. Works out very nicely- I improve a lot from my lessons just focusing on me, and I'm able to feel how things are actually supposed to work, but comp fees still stay low, and I really like competing am.

I don't think that am/am or pro/am are more or less athletic/talented/competitive like the transition from high school to college would be. Just different.

dbk likes this.
  5. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

This thread is so related to something I am struggling with.
    I dance with a pro that I learn well from. The problem is that he has lost most of his comp students and aside from a once a year local comp that his students attend I am his only comp student.

This makes comps cost prohibitive for both of us. If he was to go with me to a comp he will loose a few days of lessons (he teaches week-ends) and then of course if we do go to a comp I foot the entire travel and expenses bill.

So now I am considering changing instructors for one who has comp students. It is a tough decision since I do learn well from the pro but comp is a big part of the dance experience for me and not happy with not doing comps... I don't know that I can afford 2 instructors. It has to be one or the other.

Has anyone picked a pro based on the # of comp students a pro has?

6. kckc

kckc Active Member

Can you go with the other pro for comps/lessons and use the current pro for once-in-a-while coaching since you like his teaching style?

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wow...that is a tough one....I guess I would be more inclined to pick one style and make day trips to local comps.....still, it would be frustrating

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think pros differ enough from each other that it would be tough to work with one for lessons and a different one for competing. The times that I have seen someone do that they ultimately had to choose because there were too many differences in the pros approaches....unless of course you are picking a different pro for different styles.

9. fascination

I would also say this...however much men may act like they don't care and show professional courtesy...ahem, there will likely be some ego and territorial issues there

10. JANATHOME

Well we will see ,Fasc....

I did make a decision and started with a new standard pro, while will continue to dance smooth with current pro.
    (Very happy with new standard pro). So next week I will tell current pro I am dropping down my weekly lessons because I will work with a separate pro for standard.

While the pros are from different studios both pros know each other. I don't want current pro to be taken by surprise when I am at a comp with standard pro... Thinking this is the right thing to do. While I don't look forward to the conversation I have the confidence that I have made a good decision which will make the conversation easier for me.

Funny though, right off the bat standard pro made changes to my frame that was in direct conflict with what smooth pro has been drilling into me.. Going to be interesting.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  11. fascination

yep...going to be interesting...God go with you

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. JANATHOME

Oh Good Lord. sorry to be a broken record.
    I am anxious... Can someone help me please?

My decision is made, switched to new pro for standard which means I will drop down lessons with smooth pro to once a week. Conversation will occur at this weeks lesson.
    I am back and forth between a conversation of why I made this decision or simply I have made a decision to work with a new pro for standard and I will cut our lessons in half, no explanation...

Husband is sick of hearing me!! He says just tell him what you are going to do, end of story.
    Would welcome a kick in the head or any other opinions...

13. Mr 4 styles

:D
    bend over..:eek:

no sweetie turn around...:rolleyes:

*kick in the head*:cool:

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D no explanation needed.. you are just branching out and getting a fresh perspective on your dancing.. yes you may borrow this phrase

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

No explanation is necessary. And often talking too much leads to words better left unsaid for any variety of reasons.

Just state your plans for the future, with a gentle smile.

15. fascination

state plan..only state details if asked why...if asked keep it short and ask if this is going to be an issue

16. Mr 4 styles

* still adjusting to fasc new pic*;)

cool color!!

fascination likes this.
  17. JANATHOME

OK, got it. Many thanks for the input. After all these years of dance instruction I still lack skill of how not to hurt feelings at the expense of my dollars.

I should learn from by own behavior outside of dance. Last week I was interviewing for a key position in my finance department. I did the same thing, I would be silent for a few minutes. The ones who were less successful were the ones filling the silence with "words left better unsaid" while the ones who left a lasting impression on me were the ones who were comfortable with the pause in conversation, confident and choosing what they wanted to share with me carefully....

Funny, 4 styles!

18. Mr 4 styles

merci:D

this is a very advanced conversational skill and takes years to master no joke!!!

19. fascination

about hurt feelings; you are responsible to make your best effort to do no harm...that is all....

Mr 4 styles and latingal like this.
  20. JANATHOME

Geez... complicated..

So I have this conversation with pro and he understands why I wanted to work with a different pro for standard.
    But then this... He asks me if he may ask who I will dance standard with.. He disagrees with my choice. He also disagrees on standard pro moving me into gold. To be clear, I knew he was uncertain on my choice by his hesitation and I did push him a bit on giving me his opinion as to why he was hesitating with my choice.....

So he says that he felt I did not make the best decision on picking the standard pro and if this is what I would like to do he supports me but suggests a different pro that he feels would be a better fit for me and a better pro... He asks that before I make any final decisions I book a lesson with suggested pro.

Further he says if I come back to our lessons with conflicting information from the pro I picked he would question my instruction, while with the pro he suggests he would not question his point of view...

Now this is a twist I had not expected... What do you all think of this?