Ballroom Dance > Picking a Pro for pro/am

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by billman, Jul 6, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

If you have already started with the other standard guy and are happy with him, that should be a sufficient answer even if you are wrong...but I assume you did your research on the other guy....if you haven't already started with the other guy and you value your original pro's input, I think there would be wisdom in taking a lesson or two with his suggestion, if for no other reason than to have shown that level of respect for his perspective on it...perhaps you could also get the opinion of an educated third party who knows all pros concerned

Gorme likes this.
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Weigh his opinion with the fact that you may very well be making the wrong choice. Take 4 or 5 lessons with his choice (you didn't decide about the other teacher after only one lesson, did you?) and see if it all works

3. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

This could be interesting if it's possible.

J, I think from some of your past posts that we may be in the same general area, although I'm not certain. While I don't consider myself an "educated third party," I'd be happy to chat or PM, if it would be helpful to you to talk things out.

Good luck!

4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Actually it was possible... A third party pro who did know both pros reached out to me and was able to give me an unbiased opinion, and I am good now... But thank you JJ for the offer.

LOL, still going to be interesting and I hope it will all work out.

5. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

That's great J. Good luck!

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So I'm re-reading this thread as I'm now considering what to do... as some of you know, my instructor and pro-am partner of 13 years has moved away. I'm currently dancing with another instructor at the studio, but she's moving away (not as far) shortly; I'm already committed to do Nashville Starz with her. I'm considering another pro from Nashville and I will be setting up some "tryout" lessons with her shortly. She's a fine dancer and has a very good look on the dance floor. My only slight concern so far is that, in heels, she's a bit taller than I am. Might be a good thing -- make me keep my eyes up and my head back. :D Seriously, I want to see if we're a fit as instructor and student, and there's also scheduling issues to talk about.

7. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

If it's only the heels that make her taller, it shouldn't be a problem for Standard. If it's Smooth, no problem at all IMO :D

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I assume I know who you are talking about. I doubt it is a problem.

9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm a little taller than my pro in my shoes, and after a brief adjustment period, it's not an issue. He does have to "think tall", and I have to make sure to shape like I'm supposed to... but with a pro follow, I don't see it being a problem.

10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Like everyone's saying, she's a pro. She'll be just fine at adjusting her frame for your height without a problem.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I've seen her dancing with shorter guys...

12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I've competed on the floor with pro/am couples in your situation of height. From my observation, in this situation, it was not a problem at all in terms of height. And there were some obvious height differences.

13. Foxytrot

Foxytrot New Member

Mayo Alanen is the best male smooth dancer and pro/am coach. Not only is he an amazing dancer, but his choreography is the most dynamic and just the most sweet and kind person.