Tango Argentino > Pivot turns

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by wingnut, Jan 29, 2004.

1. wingnut

wingnut New Member

Can someone give me a discription if a pivot turn? I"ve danced ballroom tango and am now in my 6th week of AT lessons . Really think it's a blast!! :?:

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums wingnut!! Unfortunately I cannot help you out, but I'm sure someone else will come along and do so. Meanwhile enjoy browsing and participating in our forums. Do you do anything else apart from tango?

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ay -yi- yi, wingnut, this is a tough one to describe in words.

Here's the definition from ballroomdancers.com
    Means absolutely nothing without a visual, right? I'lll browse around on the web and see if I can find you a visual. There are actually a few contexts in which the term pivot is used, so I'll look for a few visuals. Might be tough, but I'll look.

btw, welcome to the forums. :D

4. pygmalion

Still looking for video clips of pivots in tango, but in the meanwhile, I found this cool page, which shows a pivot in waltz, done by amateur dancers. Take a look at the even more slow waltz clip. There's a pivot in the middle of that one. It looks like the woman steps right between the man's legs, locks her thigh onto his, and they turn around each other quickly. Watch a couple times -- I think you can find it. Edit: Try the first standard waltz clip. The pivot is right at the beginning, so it's easier to see. 8)

http://www.ballroomeast.com/Videos/Videos.htm

There are a couple other instances of pivots I can think of. A military turn is sometimes called a pivot -- think marching soldiers who step forward onto a foot, then make a quick 180 degree turn -- that's a military turn or a pivot.

Then there are pivot turns where you basically spin with your forward leg locked into place -- your thighs stay connected the whole time you're spinning.

5. wingnut

wingnut New Member

Thanks everyone! I do some ballroom-- Waltze, Foxtrot, Swing, Cha Cha, Mambo & TANGO are my favorites. However with my work schedule I haven't done as much as I like the last couple of years. So my wife and I decided this looked like a lot of fun !! This forum is great - a lot of inciteful q&a !! Hope to be jumping in on the threads with you. I can never learn too much :lol: :lol:

6. pygmalion

Yay! It's great to have you here, wingnut! :D

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Thanks wingnut, and welcome to the Forums! :D
    It's our memers' contributions which make the Dance Forums! Thanks for joining us in making the DF what it is!

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Hi wingnut,
    I've found a couple of older threads discussing pivot turns -- I wonder if these might help.

Pivots
    Pivoting?

The second one is from the salsa forum (my natural habitat :) ).
    I have no idea if the salsa pivot turn is the same as the AT pivot turn, but I've started watching Edie the SalsaFreak's spins video the other day, and there is a section where the pivot turn is explained. This is in relation to a crossbody lead with a left turn, where the follower makes a 1 1/2 turn travelling forward. Edie talks about putting one foot (in this case the left foot) in front of the other with the legs slightly crossed and thighs locked together (stick a sheet of paper between your thighs to practise this) as you make a half turn on the left foot, half turn on the right and another half turn on the left. At least, I think that's what she said (I need to watch the video again...).
    Is this similar to the tango pivot?

9. pygmalion

You could use the kind of pivot turn Edie describes in tango. And there's also another pivot used in tango, similar to the one in the video clips earlier in this thread. I wish I understood why they're all named the same thing -- I think it has something to do with which foot the weight is over. But I could be wrong.

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I don't understnd the question: a pivot is a pivot
    1. you turn on one foot: weight over the ball of the foot heel off the ground
    2. It is done forward or backwards cw or ccw
    3. Other foot is close to standing leg uless you are doing a lapiz.
    4. the amount of turn is dependent on the lead from the man (eg he can walk you round through 360 degrees if he chooses)
    5. the hips and chest move with a degree of independence through twisting in the waist.
    6. You don't fall over. Balance and Control is everything.

11. pygmalion

Yup. Kinda what I thought. Although there are many variations, there's a common element that makes a pivot a pivot. And, if I understand what you're saying, it's the way a turn is made and where the weight is that makes it a pivot.

The deceptive thing is that, in motion, different pivots do look very different. I guess I need to look more closely, to see the common element. :?

12. pygmalion

Just for kicks, I'm going to watch my Heather Smith pivot technique video this evening when I get home. Should be interesting, now that I have a new perspective -- looking for the commonality, rather than the differences. Will watch, then report back. 8)

And oh yeah, while we're at it, could somebody explain pivoting action?