Ballroom Dance > Planning for 2018!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Jul 26, 2017.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've competed a lot so I was curious to see what comps people like. I usually do a mixture of big and small comps, and I often add a couple of days just for vacation if it's in a fun city. I'm not really that into theme nights or ProAm parties though I will do nightclub night for the first time ever just because it looks like fun. I'm willing to travel anywhere if it's for a well run competition.

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I
    I've done Manhattan and liked it. I'd like to do Empire too since it's more centrally located.

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

If
    If you feel comfortable doing so, send me a pm...

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Ballroom beach bash!!!!! Embassy heritage agree. Millennium agree.

A lot to do on off days at heritage

Beach bash has the added bonus of if you don't like your marks you can spike a volleyball down the judges throats on Sunday morning during trash talk volleyball !!!

Sania, debmc and MaggieMoves like this.
  5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I've already heard good things about the Beach Bash. I've always had something that weekend though.

6. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I have also heard that Beach Bash is a lot of fun. Everyone I know that has gone loved it. I hope to put it on my list.

I would also like to go to Galaxy, simply because I have always wanted to stay at that Biltmore hotel. Has anyone here been?

I guess I am more into the place and the experience and the thrill of just being able to dance, more than the competition, at this stage of my life.

debmc likes this.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have been to Galaxy at the Biltmore. Stunning location, simply amazing. Great comp and organizers.

3wishes, debmc and singndance like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

Ditto I've done galaxy for 6 years,straight. One of my all time faves. I know phoenix really well if u need things to do or places to eat

debmc and singndance like this.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've never done Ballroom Beach Bash but I've heard good things! May add to list. I'll be doing Embassy this year!

3wishes likes this.
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I've done Galaxy before and will do it again this year. It's beautiful and it's my teacher's home town comp so only I have to travel for this one.

11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Any opinions about San Francisco Open? I was also looking at that one.

12. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

My pro competed with his professional partner there last year, and he spoke very highly of it. We did not schedule it this year only because he did not get enough of his students to sign on to make it cost efficient.

debmc likes this.
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Last year was our first year at La Classique and i'm fairly certain it's the largest Canadian comp, for pro-am at least? Nothing close to that size on the west coast for sure. We don't dance pro-am but it was a fabulous comp and I thought the ballroom looked gorgeous.

debmc likes this.
  14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

So, I'm heavy into 2018 planning... because I apparently can't put it off due to lack of dance motivation any longer. Pro has informed me that I really need to pick so that everyone else can, and has suggested I skip practice this weekend to recharge, chill, and work on my massive spreadsheet. Yes, I do the research, planning and picking... we have (what I've learned from DF is) an unusual arrangement. He does get veto for certain reasons, but so do I, so that's fair :)

Complicating my research: I've been informed that I really shouldn't be competing in Canada anymore... which means goodbye to all of my 'I always do this one' comps. I lobbied for at least one comp in Canada, and Pro agreed, but wants it to be nationals... and doesn't want me to do Classique this year (*sniff* It's my favourite, and the one that coincides nicely with my danciversary which makes it a year-end celebration, but his reasons for recommending I skip it are solid.)

I'm sticking to driveable multi-day comps... so eastern seaboard, really, no further south than Ohio and Virginia... but that's still a lot to research! But some are making it easy, like the one that was in the running as I have friends in that city, but clearly states on their website: "Pro-am scholarships: if less than 5 competitors, vouchers will be given in lieu of cash." Given the size of their fields, that's likely be all of them, and it's new for us (so maybe not repeat visit worthy)... so said comp is off the list.

15. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

This! When I was competing, these were the questions I finally answered. I didn't do some of the comps everyone else did because they weren't what I was looking for. When I picked the comps based on what I wanted I had a terrific time.

RiseNFall and Mr 4 styles like this.
  16. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Curious why you won't be competing in Canada any more? Seems like an odd decision...

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe big-fish-small-pond.

18. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

Makes sense, occurred to me just after I posted. It's too bad. There are a lot of good competitions in Canada (at least in eastern Canada) and much cheaper than in the US!

19. Mr 4 styles

Meh gotta dance against the big boys and girls here in the us of a

20. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Meh, my planning for 2018 got screwed by my terrible terrible tax guy. I'm going back to doing the taxes myself so that i don't have any more surprises. Wisc State and FINALLY OSB this year.