Dance Articles > Playing Host to a Ballroom Full Of Ladies Until the Music Ends

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Terpsichorean Clod, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10000872396390444868204578064991960361294

old dog likes this.
  2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Being a "gentleman host" sounds like a tough job. While as a social dancer I "work the room" more than the average male dancer, there are some ladies I don't ask a second time because they are not fun to dance with. And there are songs I sit out because I don't care for them. Seems that a gentleman host doesn't have a choice. No thanks.

3. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I remember applying for this a few years ago. They wouldn't let me since I was too young. That did lead to me becoming a teacher on cruise ships, however.

old dog and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  4. old dog

old dog Member

We have sailed on the Queen Mary 2 every year (for the past 10 yrs) and were present in the Queen's Room when the WSJ pictures and video were made (Fall of 2012). We travel (and dance every evening) with three other couples, but only one of us is visible in the video (he is about 6' 4" tall).

The article is correct about the demand for dance hosts on Cunard ships holding up over the years. We have sailed on the other Queens too and there still seem to be plenty of single ladies (and wives) to keep the hosts busy.

As the article suggests, there is a wide range of dance skills represented by the dance hosts. My wife would rather not dance with most of them but will usually get asked any time I have stepped out of the room. These hosts circulate through the room and will 'pounce' on any unaccompanied lady, but will rarely ask anyone whose partner is present (unless she appears bored or ignored).

Thanks, TC.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  5. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

So some cruse lines are throwing taxi dancers under the bus?