Tango Argentino > Please suggest a good, solid tango video for an example for the Tango Club website

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Lois Donnay, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

Our local Tango Society has posted a video on their website: http://www.mntango.org/video.html. I don't think it is a very good example to use, and may give some people the wrong idea about Argentine tango. Can you suggest another one? (Frankly, I love this one:
    Yes, ok, that's me - and I don't like the music either .. ;))

2. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

I don't like the following video too much, but from the perspective of a person who knows nothing about tango, I think it would be pretty good:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Lois Donnay likes this.
  3. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

Sounds like people in your community have some conflicting ideas about how to portray tango.

I immediately thought of this video because of the way it portrays tango, but in retrospect it might not be the best since it could be lost on people who don't know what an ocho cortado is.

4. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

The organizer put what they represent. If you don't like it put something you like it on your website. ;)

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Even within the confines of what can be considered "Argentine Tango," there is so much variation in style that you pretty much have to pick one aspect of it to represent.
    So, I guess a follow up question is, what aspect of AT do you want "promote?"

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  6. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

This is not my website, but the website for our local Tango Society. As such, it is owned by the members, all of whom have some input. I can suggest, but may only get so far.

7. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

Great videos! But I'm surprised that so few use real Golden Age tango music. Wonder why that is?

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

When it's about a video that will not "give some people the wrong idea about Argentine tango" there is this one.
    But it's all in the dialogs, there is no dance and no music.

On the opposite, there is this one with dance and music and zero dialog

9. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I love Golden Age music. It sings to my heart. But in my experience, very few people who aren't familiar with tango connect with it. I just did a performance for a big salsa event, and I really wanted to do a Golden Age song. But everyone wanted and requested an alt song, so I had to go with that.

10. Mladenac

Then community needs to have a poll about what kind of tango it represents them.

I know some people who are focused on alternative tango so they would do demo with such songs.
    Or some would choose with traditional tango.

There is a trick which traditional tango to choose because many outsiders won't like it.
    IMHO I would go with something rhythmical and energetic:
    D'Arienzo, Biagi, Rodriguez, Donato, Laurenz.

It's well established traditional tango orchestras and have a punch.
    D'Arienzo was the techno of the 30ies. ;)
    And Biagi skills are defined in his nickname "Manos brujas" (magical hands)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Lois Donnay likes this.
  11. Mladenac

I like this movie ;)

12. Mladenac

No wonder they wanted non-tango song.
    There is cat - dog relationship in tango and salsa

13. Mladenac

I don't find these songs boring ;)

And I know a young girl (belly dancer) who liked Belgica on first hearing.

14. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

If the choice is not only one, this one with particular attention to the discussion in the first few minutes, would complement & contextualize koizell's suggestion. The YouTube posting includes a transcript of the discussion.

p.s. To the OP - I also like your Tango Journey vid

Lois Donnay likes this.