Dancers Anonymous > Poll: Halloween costumes, anyone?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mellody43, Oct 22, 2003.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

I am going as a raven. NOT a crow. ;-) hehe.

I have a soft of fuzzy black sleeveless top, and I'll just wear a slinky black skirt, hose, and strappy heels. (Might as well be in costume and sexy at the same time, right?)

I have a black silk mask in the silhouette of a bird -- imagine the bird's head pointing down the nose, and the wings swooping up the temples, the tail straight up over the forehead. I'm sure I'll get annoyed at the mask part-way throught the evening but it's really interesting looking!

I have feathered black wings, made feathered black wrist-cuffs, and will put my hair up with black turkey feathers (think quills) sticking up out of the up-do.

I think I should make a ribbon choker with silver fabric-paint saying "NEVERMORE."

=)

What are you guys going as?

Melissa

2. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Wow Melissa, sounds like a cute costume. I've decided to go as an angel and my b/f is going as a devil. I have a bunch of stuff we'll try to put together.

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I can't think of one, and time is running out. The kids at school are going to be expecting me to dress up and I have no ideas. :(

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hey Boo, just go down to the Goodwill store. They have a lot of stuff to give you ideas and lots of recycled costumes too for very little money. I went down there with a friend. She was looking for something in particular and I found a 1920's dress with all the fringe for only $8.00. I might have to change my costume now. We have several parties to go to, I could just wear it at a different party. Cool huh? :D

5. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I actually have two costumes...

1. Lady Marmalade...complete can-can girl costume that I won't get to wear this year as our departmental theme at work doesn't really go with a can-can dancer.

2. Wizard...complete with black gown, red/gold cape, white/grey beard and wig, black/gold wizard hat, and a home-made staff.

I LOVE dressing up like something else for a day...trick-or-treating anyone.

I've gone the last three years in a row, but don't think I can make it this year... :cry:

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I will wear a basketball uniform which I purchased 7 years ago just for this purpose. :)

7. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

Kind of ironic, isn't it? I'm going as a flapper. You know, the short fringy skirt and high heels with the cheap beads and fan. For some reason I'm really into Broadway so I found the costume for 2 bucks and bought it.
    My boyfriend will totally flip- he's never really seen me in a skirt above my ankles!! :p

8. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Looks like I'll actually be doing Halloween this year - it's not a paticularly popular thing here, but a friend is throwing a party.

Somewhere along the line I picked up a classic '70s party dress - black crepe, full length A-line skirt, princess seams and to top it all off pleated chiffon trumpet sleeves. I've worn it a couple of times, but its really too distinctive to be worn too often. Anyhow I think it will make a great start to a witch costume - I just need a pointy hat and a broom.

Cheers
    Sarah

9. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hmm, this may sound odd but I haven't dressed up for Halloween in almost 20 years! My last costume was when I was 12 and in 8th grade...and after that I decided I was too old for this trick or treating business and never wore another costume or ever went around for candy! I enjoyed taking my younger brothers out and loved to see them enjoying themselves doing so, but I wouldn't dress up and refused any treats at all...even the people who forced me to take candy...it went to my brothers.

Now that I'm almost 30...I wonder...perhaps its time to be a kid again? Why did I decide to be so serious at such a young age? :)

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

You too? Not so much in regards to Halloween, but I've been pondering this general dynamic recently. Mind you, I can figure out the historical reasons but I do wonder why it's taken me so long to be able to start letting go of all of it...

[You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled costuming discussion...]

11. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

I myself used to be so uptight...at age 12 I already felt like I was 12 going on 30....probably from my upbringing in an asian culture as well as a girl...but I had an mind opening experience (though I do not recommend this...) thru a rave that my brother had taken me to just let go and let out the child within...it was such a liberation of self that since then I ventured out and explored....and bumped into the dance world :)

This year will be the first time I've dressed up for Halloween :D I'll be Trinity from the Matrix

12. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

Trinity is cool. Thankz u guys for the whole growing up too fast thing. Although short, it kind-of made me realize why I feel so heavy these days, in the sense that my responsibilities far out weigh the good times. :cry: Maybe I just need to losen up and get out of the house once-in-a-while. :!:

13. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I think I'm going as a hula dancer

14. SDsalsaguy

Well, Porfirio and msc saw me in costume last night... I'm sure photos will be posted soon, when Porfirio gets a chance. :D

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Halloween is a foreign concept to me. Did not grow up with it - perhaps I should cave in now that I have been in the States for several years and go in a costume to the swing dance being held next Saturday. The band, "Seaway Swing", is supposed to be pretty good.

16. SDsalsaguy

Photos now available in the Photo Album :arrow: General Dance 8)

17. d nice

d nice New Member

Three friends and I went to our local dance club in costume, as the crew from Matrix.

Neo, Trinity, Cipher and Morpheus.

Trinity and I (as Morpheus of course) won the two costume contests. ;)

Photos were taken, which will be posted at some point in the not to distant future.

18. SDsalsaguy

Looking forward to the photos Damon!

19. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Ended up going as a Wizard for work...won third place for the costume contest. Have photos at work...will post soon.