Dancers Anonymous > Posting Names

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Oct 2, 2003.

1. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I occurred to me that, quite likely, everyone chose his/her screen name for a particular reason. Without getting too personal or invading anyone's privacy, I would love to hear what your screen name means to you.

For me, dancersdreamland, just seemed like an obvious choice since it's the name of my web site. I guess, the name for my site came about as I wanted to create a place where dancers of all types from a variety to background who participate in any type of dance could just feel at home. A sort of dream land for dancers.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Even though I also do, and love, a variety of ballroom and other dances I started with salsa, here in San Diego. Before and after everything else I'm a salsero and one who developed my style and my love of dance in the SD salsa community. Also, at least according to all the biological information I am aware of, I am male...so SDsalsaguy...SD = San Diego, salsaguy = salsa & guy. :D

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That is my first name and the first letter of my last name, yet despite the red devil avatar, my last name means quite the opposite! I couldn't find a little angel!

I am known at work as the devil's advocate - one who probes or plays the other side to get a subject out in the open for discussion purposes! That's why I chose that avatar!

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

pygmalion was an ancient greek mythical figure who carved a woman out of marble and who, out of sheer longing, brought her, galatea, to life.

I chose the name pygmalion because I couldn't pick between the two characters. I feel that dance has brought me to life and transformed me, but not because some man has shaped me or changed me. I have changed myself. So I identify with both the male figure and the female figure. I'm both pygmalion and galatea.

But I had to pick one. *shrug* So pygmalion it is. :D

5. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

Mine's easy. I'm predominately a swing dancer, therefore the Hepcat, and my name's Bob.

6. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Mines is just a play on my last name (Young). I have the heart of a 7 year-old so.....youngsta! :D

7. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

It's also a play by George Bernard Shaw that was later turned into the musical, My Fair Lady.

8. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Oh, and mine... I think it fits my personality. To me, swing is more than a dance, it's a feeling-- I feeling I had found in the music years before I learned the dance.

And kitten... I can be pretty playful, cute (not as cute as a real kitten), frisky, and I purr when petted the right way! :shock:

9. pygmalion

Yes, and there's also a forties-era non-musical movie adaptation of the play, called Pygmalion. Same Eliza Doolittle character. Not as cute as Audrey Hepburn, though. :D

10. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I think the Swingin part is obvious to you all by now, ehhem Lindy :tongue:

The Boo part is from Monsters Inc. Since I wear my hair in pigtails a lot my boyfriend started calling me Boo from the movie. (I also started calling him Kitty, which if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about) Also they're very fitting pet names for the two of us if you know the age difference :wink:

11. dancergal

dancergal New Member

For me, I reason I chose Dancergal is because my boyfriend bought me a license plate holder that says 'Country Dancing Gal" when I was doing a lot of country dancing, so I got dancergal from that.

12. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

That's really cute Dancergal :D

13. dancergal

dancergal New Member

:D Aww thanks!! :D

14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Well mine is just my name. At work we introduce ourselves by adding Miss/Mr to our names so Miss Alyssa it is :D

15. dancersdreamland

Hmph...

These are great!!! :D :!: :D :!: :D :!: Thank you for sharing!!!!

16. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

mine should be fairly obvious
    Dancer= I tap, salsa, square, and jazz/modern dance
    of=need I say more?
    g-d=sorry about the religous thing, it's a habit

17. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Mine goes like this:

1) First name is Phil

2) My favorite birds are Owls

3) I tend to be a bit nocturnal

4) Many of my friends tell me I'm a hoot

5) My facial expressions and such I am told are somewhat owl-like

18. pygmalion

Nocturnal? Hmm? Have you posted in insomniacs R us yet? Hmm? *raising eyebrows* :lol:

19. dancersdreamland

Square...really! I go with my family every once in a while...too much fun!!!

Never apologize for your beliefs...habit or not, it's a part of who you are a what you believe. Be proud of that. :D

20. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

heehee, so my name isn't actually all that interesting of a story...

It was two things really. Firstly, all throught high school, and even now, I tend to be easily excited, and to express that, i tend to bounce! So, one day at school, I was bouncing around my friend Kyle trying to reach his height (6'2, I'm 5'6). Then, later that evening, we were talking online, and he pissed me off (jokingly) and I said I would bounce on him as punishment, and then I wrote WEEEE. so, he started calling me bouncybouncyweee! unfortunalty, almost evey male in the universe thinks that my name has some hidden innuendo, which it doesn't. I don't say things incognito, I just say em out loud!