Tango Argentino > Practice exercices

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Numawan, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Numawan

Numawan Member

Hello everyone,

It is me again :rolleyes:

I will try to attend a Practica every Monday. I was wondering how to make the best use of these Practica. My current objective is to dance a bit decently whithout doing anything more complicated than walking, side steps, and ochos. Any ideas welcome.

Here are a few routines I am already thinking about:
    - forward/backward walking in parallel while moving to right side/center/left side of partner
    - same in cross system
    - moving from parallel system to cross system
    - experiment with turning while walking: how much can we turn while simply walking? At what point is it causing problems?
    - alternating between walking and side steps in random patterns at different speeds, perhaps also with partner centred or on right side.
    - try to lead cruzadas
    - walk 2-3 steps then lead random ocho (back/forward, left/right) while doing ocho myself. Ochos at slow speed good exercise for follower. Try to decompose ocho lead between pivot and step.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Fran├žois

2. Numawan

Numawan Member

Well ... Not a lot of suggestions ...

3. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Try to focus on one element, not to many at once.
    Do it it with varying speed, master it.

I don't know how much you know some elements.
    IMHO Awareness is needed when every movement is led.

Since you are beginner don't get to analytical, enough that you feel your actions and reactions of partners.
    Later when you dance you will bring that to another level. :cool:

And when at practica verbalize what you feel and your partner also.
    It happens that body and mind don't go together. ;)

4. Numawan

Numawan Member

Well, I went to my second Practica. Didn't do much of what I wanted to, but had the opportunity to dance twice in close abrazzo, a first for me! I like it, the lead is much more powerful, but I had a lot of trouble with ochos loool!

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

For close embrace you need to be really precise in leading.
    And your lead is multiplied by some factor e.g. 3x

So it's like walking on ice. ;)

6. Blue Two

Blue Two New Member

In its most basic form, close embrace is essentially about deterrence: each dancer makes it costly enough for the other to attempt to occupy his/her personal space that he/she is deterred from doing so.

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Isn't there a resident teacher? He can watch you and then give you tailor-made suggestions.

Mladenac likes this.
  8. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg New Member

Come, it's not a zero-sum game like chess, Blue Two; it's supposed to be a collaborative activity!

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Either I don't understand what you mean by this, or I disagree with it. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "making it costly enough", and their personal space?

Angel HI likes this.
  10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Num's original list of things to practice is still the very best thing to follow. Practicas are not milongas. Practicas are for bettering elements. Perfect.

11. LivingstonSeagull

LivingstonSeagull New Member

I'd like to suggest practicing the following:
    - leading longer/shorter steps;
    - practice leading a step without taking one;
    - practice control of follower's weight transfer, especially in a follower's cross - leading to a cross, but without transferring weight leading to un-cross;
    - practice leading extension of a follower's leg as if into a step without taking a step;
    - practice musicality! try walking on beat with different accent patterns - opening or closing musical phrases; try walking on off-beat. Most importantly - practice leading her this way, making sure you place her feet on beat/ off beat - rather than stepping yourself! That's a fun way to practice :)

Angel HI likes this.
  12. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Nice post. May I add 2 things:

1. that when doing so, do not only concentrate so intently on what you are doing 'to' her that you forget that you are dancing 'with' her, and.....
    2. that every 'lead' finishes with the ability to 'follow' one's own lead. :)

LivingstonSeagull likes this.