General Dance Discussion > Practice makes perfect thread

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Dec 13, 2007.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Its a thought WG. I think I will up the mild excersize though - walking or something and see if it just goes away...

2. meow

meow New Member

Just having a couple of weeks off dancing and then getting back into it - it is amazing how quickly you 'feel' the pain of not dancing. Hope I made sense.

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Practiced waltz left turns yesterday. Did at least 50 of them. I've figured out that where I'm having problems is with the transitions between clsoed and promenade -- not just in this step, but everywhere. Getting the head, upper body, and hips all coordinated is still eluding me.

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out why you'd be in promenade whilst doing left turns :confused:. Can you describe this step? Maybe I'm just visualizing a completely different step here.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Open left turn, silver American. Here's my understanding of the positions involved:

Step 1: closed, forward step
    Step 2: transition to promenade pos.
    Step 3: fallaway
    Step 4: transition to closed, back step
    Step 5: transition to promenade pos.
    Step 6: promenade

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Practiced for 10 minutes in my new 3 inch latin heels yesterday. They're so pretty and so comfortable, until you wear them for 10 minutes, hehe! Will have to get used to the change from 2 inch heels.
    Practiced a bit of paso. Oh how we stink at it! But it's fun. And a change from the usual. Kind of fun learning something from scratch again, learning instead of improving/perfecting for a change.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

why did you change form 2 to 3 inch heels wooh? For me , everything seems harder the higher the heel - how do you do toe-heel steps?

8. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

It's an adjustment, but not seeming impossible at this point. Especially since I'm a size 10 US, so it's not as big of a change as it would be for someone with smaller feet. Biggest reason I'm changing, is I found a pair of pretty shoes on sale for a very good price that were so comfortable trying them on, I didn't realize they were 3 inch until I got home. And it's just for when we do rhythm/latin showcase sorts of things, so I won't be wearing them for hours on end killing my feet. I just have to get used to them. Which a little at a time will do.:)

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

*blink*blink* Hmmm, that doesn't resemble the open left turn I know in Am. Smooth. Seems kinda like open twinkle to fallaway, but some key steps are missing.

At any rate.... I have found the key to good promenade positions is "think sideways". NOT forwards. If you feel twisted, you're doing it right :cool:

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Agreed, in theory if not technically (for the sake of those who might wish to get too technical). Cornutt, to say differently what 123 posted, do not think promenade. In your description, replace all promenades with "side remaining in closed". Hope it helps.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Um. I thought American open left turns had a continuity ending, i.e. OP. I suppose if you were a contortionist you could do it, but otherwise it's impossible to be both in PP and OP.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lately practicing pivots...difficult w/out partner...also spot voltas and various other types of torment

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

fasc!! welcome back, how was the trip? Or should I look esewhere...

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

excellent ...was just excellent...off to a serious soak though...and hitting the ground running tomorrow

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

everytime I get into the bath I thikn - oh my, this is wonderful. Then I think, oh why don't I do this more often. And then, then... then I don't.

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

super practice yesterday - working on follow based on R side connection and not anticipating.

We sometimes end up in 'discussions' as to whether I am going in the correct direction. DP says I should know my angle, I say he should set it up right or not expect me to follow. This is an amazing period where I am ceding my inner pilot to his lead. Actually, he is getting awfully good at it and I can spend more and more time working on my frame and shaping. Dancing feels awfully good right now - I hope the judges will agree...

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no time or place for practice, these days... really sucks. am nabbing every moment in between busy life to make improvements.

thing is... am improving. just wish i could dig in more right now. *sigh* this phase will eventually end, i know...

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

is dyslexia catching? thats something I would write...:cool:

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why is it dyslexia?

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

maybe I missed Joe - I assumed it was supposed to read napping?