General Dance Discussion > Practice makes perfect thread

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Dec 13, 2007.

1. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

At first glance I thought so too, but I think if Samina could get by without sleeping at all, she would. Hence, she is NABBING every dance opportunity she can. I think....:rolleyes: (I agree, the keyboard dyslexia on DF can be quite amusing)

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no dyslexia:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This nab [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] /næb/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[nab] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –verb (used with object), nabbed, nab·bing. Informal. 1.to arrest or capture. 2.to catch or seize, esp. suddenly. 3.to snatch or steal.
    [Origin: 1675–85; earlier nap; perh. < Scand; cf. Dan nappe, Norw, Sw nappa to snatch[​IMG]]

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

today....samba technichique quad through rib cage...spot voltas...more arm stuff in international rumba...and more practice on pivots for FT...plus a 75min workout and a two hour lesson...can't freaking walk now

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no wonder... sounds like you're doing your own practice & workouts... plus mine...

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Wanna do mine, too? If not the practice (I know you think AT is like watching cement set.), at least the working out?

6. fascination

I feel that way about watching AT...not about dancing it

7. Peaches

Oh. Well then.

I'll still keep my AT practice, though. I enjoy it.

But can you do some working out for me? I can handle the eating well part (well, mostly), but the exercising...blech. Just 20-25 lbs, that's all I ask.

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats pretty funny. And look how I changed your meaning by editing your quote :evil:

[disclaimer: P actually loves AT :)]
    [disclaimer 2: I love to watch AT!]

9. Peaches

:)

Cement setting, grass growing, paint drying...pick your simile. (Or is that a metaphor? Dang, I aught to know this. Brain fart.)

10. fascination

I'll work out for you...but I can't guarantee weight loss:rolleyes:

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

practiced first lightening the contact. I never thought I would do this with all the emphaiss on creating a secure contact to allow effective following. However, for some reason I was able to lighten this to almost nothing.

I once heard a british champion (I think it was Marcus hilton) say that the contact should be always there but no stronger than would hold a piece of paper up. thats what it felt like this afternoon. We practiced this in QS, FT and Wz with what felt like amazing results.

we also shortened the stride (again) and played with increasing sway - DP has become awfullly good at it and now we actually wondered if we were doing too much. Sunday morning we are going to have a breakfast brain storming session looking at youtube ballroom at the YCC. Can't wait... hope we don't get too confused for the comp that evening!

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I always feel I follow better with a hold that "breathes."

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Up to now i have preferred a relatively secure hold - thats whats so interesting. I think we are developing as a couple so that we are starting to trust each other and that is permitting us to let go a bit. Before having one, I don't think I ever really knew what a dance partner was - it seriously challenges the benefits of a life partner :)

the other big change we are going through is to stop working for competitions and instead use those (as phrased by DP) as laboratories to test what we are doing. We have become much more self-managing and reliant and much less so no coaches in general - though obviously we still rely on them a lot we are developing into dance sprot 'consumers' to use a lousy term.

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

amiko - dug up one of the old practice threads - there is a wealth of info burried in the DF store houses that may have good ideas for you.

while I'm at it - we go to a large (full comp size) studio where one couple rents the space and we all pay a floor fee for an excellent two hour session of mostly standard. Its one of those gems that are probably present in most areas but can be very hard to locate. What I've noticed is that a few people seem to be turning up just to watch (they don't pay). Its irritating me a bit. I think there are two reasons - one is I feel a bit uncomfortable 'debating' a point with my partner and I also feel as if they are getting instruction for free (though how much one can learn by just watching I don't really know).

Should I be bothered or am I being too sensitive?

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Too sensitive. No worries...use the feeling of being watched to your benefit.
    And if they learn something...kudos to both sides. You know hard it is to really learn anything in ballroom...

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

regular practice on the big floor this evening - regular except for one respect - we did one of those ratchet things.

After several weeks of doing essentially the same things and perhaps gradually improving - inching really - tonight was just totally different. We danced better than ever - it was a 'quantal' step up. I know why too, all of a sudden we are lowering into the steps and its happeneing in all of the (standard) dances. Its easier, we feel like a couple and its also very timely.

Wow. Wish one had such sensations more often!