Practice shoes

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MadamSamba, Oct 5, 2003.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hi, again folks. Here's a question that everyone probably has their own answer to, but I'd like to hear more. Who has practice shoes and why? Are they advisable if you're only dancing socially?

Also, what type of practice shoes? I've read in other threads about dancing sneakers and actual practice shoes, but what's the best course of action if you're dancing ballroom, latin, street latin and swing? Currently I use my only pair of dancing shoes (Supadance, Latin T-bar) for all dancing, about 12 hours each week.

I've only got the one pair of shoes as do most people I dance with (who don't do competitions) and only ever dance socially and during lessons. I figure I don't need practice shoes because all I ever do is practice, so technically the pair I have are my practice shoes...warped logic, but you know what I mean, eh?

If that's the case, is there any benefit in investing in a pair of dance sneakers such as the ones on sale at Bloch?
  2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I think it's better on your feet if you wear a lower heel sometimes. I've heard some dance teachers say you need to practice in the same heel height you will be competing, but you HAVE to take care of your feet. I think that would be a wise investment.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey MadamSamba! :D

I recommend practice shoes too. They support your feet and help you feel the floor, without having to worry about balancing on those teetery heels women like to wear.

I don't wear the sneakers, though, because the balance feels totally different between a basically flat shoe and the three-inch heels I wear for dress/performance. My practice shoes have about a 2 inch (5cm) heel, which is lower and stable enough to be comfortable, without being so low that I have to re-learn my balance when it comes to performance time.

There are some new ballroom sneakers out there with suede soles, and the women's version has (I believe) about a 4 cm heel. But those sneakers are SO UGLY! The men's version is not bad, but the women's are awful-looking! So I stick with my Roma's, made by Supadance. Comfortable, and kinda cute.
  4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

For some advice on this topic from a very experienced ballroom and salsa dancer and instructor check out Dance Shoes and Your Feet in Articles.
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

6. pygmalion

I posted some links to ballroom sneaker sites in the where do you practice thread, just in case you're interested. :D
  7. I own a pair of both dance sneakers and practice shoes. There's also ones with a 2" flare heel and that's what I have. When it comes to competitions, I wear a 2.5" heel (slim). Thus practice shoes are better for me because I like to train on those heels. Dance sneakers are comfortable and relaxing, but not good to train in.
  8. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

Roma's are made by Freed. I use those, and the lower heeled Supadance practice shoes. It's a necessity for teachers to use practice shoes, but students might not need them. 8 hours teaching in heels KILLS.
  9. pygmalion

Yay! Another Roma wearer. Those are cool shoes, aren't they? 8) :D
  10. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I have two pair of latin dance shoes that I wear to class, simply because I get bored wearing the same ones all the time. I also have a problem with getting blisters on my toe from open toed shoes. I have one pair more closed so that my feet get a break from that.

I also have an old pair that I used when I was dancing 16 years ago, which have ripped, but I have glued them back together. They are my "at home" practice shoes.

I don't like having shoes with different heels, simply because it changes the way you dance in them. I have a difficult time with dancing consistently anyway without deliberately changing something that makes you dance differently! My heels are all 2.5 inch slim.
  11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Well, sometimes you just need a comfier shoe. I've heard great things about the Romas, but blochs are also a really, really good option. They're like wearing your regular old sneakers, only comfier and not as sticky. :p They've helped me a lot.
    However, since you're competing, I think practice heels will be the best option for you.

Twilight Elena

P.s. If you're looking for an economical solution, however, check my signature. :D
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I generally practice in my court shoes, BUT if my feet are particulary sore, like after a comp or at the end of the week, I will wear my Romas, I also wear those for parties or to save my heels on intl foxtrot...if I am in my garage which is concrete, I ony use practice snaekers so I don't slip and break my a$$
  13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I would add that some exercise in bare feet helps to develop strength and allows all the joints in the foot to move freely. I'm sure a professional ballet/contemporary dance teacher could give you some foot exercises.

I have two pairs of shoes( I hear gasps of astonishment at such extravagance!) one pair are soft and make my feet work harder and have a lower heel; the other pair are stiffer and are what I would normally dance in.
    I practice in both.
  14. Mawmaw

Mawmaw New Member

Werner-Kern is a great choice for aching feet. They are a little pricey but they are well made and last a long time. Their lady's Heike is a great practice shoe for smooth/standard in that it has a heel and is very, very comfortable.

Ray Rose has a latin practice that is worn by almost every pro in our studio. It is the Breeze and it comes in black and leopard skin. very cool!

I practice in Werner-Kern's that look like grandma's shoes. They are very comfortable and they have an arch support and a ****tarsol support.
  15. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member