Tango Argentino > Practicing tango with one partner or many?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by pygmalion, Dec 28, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I found this question on a tango discussion board. Should ladies, especially, learn to tango with one partner or many? Especially when you consider how much people rely on individual styling, and when you consider the relative intimacy of the dance, wouldn't it be better to just dance with one primary partner, significant other or spouse?

2. will35

will35 New Member

My personal opinion is that the real objective of Tango is to dance with as many people as possible. That is what keeps Tango what it is. Take a few lessons, practice in a practica a good long while, but don't overdo learning in Tango. There really is not that much to learn that cannot be done just by dancing. And dancing is the object, anyway. Just like an old milonguero told me, "The way to get better at Tango is a matter of emotion." Will you be exposed to more emotion by dancing with one person all the time? Probably not. Americans get hung up on technique a lot. In Tango, there are quite a few little technical things a good teacher can help a person with, but the real responsability is on the shoulders of the student. Did Pepe Avellaneda dance with one partner all the time when he was learning? I suspect he danced with practically the entire city; men and women. Of course, we try to dance with the best dancers that are willing to dance with us. But if you can't make the milongas every night, you have to find a partner who will dance with you regularly. Even if you don't dance much, you can listen to the music at home. Those are just opinions, you know. But if you think about how different every leader is and every follower is, it seems it would help to get used to many different dancers.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes, will. That's what I've expericned with other dances -- the more partners, the better I learn to follow. I guess I just need to get over that sticky Americanism of mine. It seems to me that I might have a bit of difficulty dancing cheek to cheek with so many. My coach and a few close friends maybe. But lots of others? eh. I don't know. *shrug*