Event Announcements > Pre-Brown competition ballroom social Saturday Nov 11 @ MIT 7pm-11pm

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by tuxedosam, Nov 3, 2006.

1. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

Ballroom dancers, brush up on your technique and floorcraft the
    evening before Brown's Competition at the Romance d'Automne! (link will shortly be up on the MIT Ballroom Dance Team website)

Romance d'Automne

This Saturday, November 11th, from 7pm to 11pm (a little earlier
    this time so you can make it to Brown well rested!) in Morss Hall
    of Walker Memorial, wear your casual chic attire.

Open to all:
    $10 general admission
    $6 for students
    50% off for team members!

For attendees, there is a free Rumba lesson at 6:30pm.

Lost?:
    http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=Walker+Memorial

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hmmm...is this going to be a predominantly college crowd?

3. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

While I would love to go, I don't think I'll be able to make it unless I can find somewhere to stay that night in the Boston area. Otherwise it means I have an hour drive home late that night and then a 45 min-1 hour drive to the comp to be there before doors open in the AM....

oh, and btw....I never know in advance when the mit dances are since they never update their website anymore. anyone know if there's a reason for this?

4. tunape

tunape New Member

yep, because they have no more webmasters.

5. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Oy... you'd think finding one at MIT shouldn't be a problem... :(

6. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Well you tend to get three kinds of webmasters --
    1. Excited programmers who want to make the next great CMS system, which gets bogged down and never quite finished
    2. People who say "d*mn the current system, I'm hand coding my new pages".
    3. Excited semi-clueless person who looks at the co-mingled frankenstein mess left behind by multiple type 1s and 2s and has a mental breakdown and is next seen walking the streets wearing a "Will dance for food" sign.

Plus even when a particularly aggressive type 1 gets close to working system, no one actually spends time to either feed information to him or to the system themselves so its all for naught.

For the record, I've been a prominent example of a type 2 and so am definitely part of the problem :)

7. tunape

tunape New Member

the cost of training is far greater than the cost of R&D, and implementation.

Eric, you should also mention those who try to do structural and organizational changes to the system, but get fed up. :)

8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

In reality you just need someone to keep the front page reasonably up to date and toy with the other parts of the site at leisure - using, adapting, or ignoring the various mechanisms in place at any given time.

Making the web site everything it could be is an unapproachable task. Making it what it needs to be is not too bad, and making it a little bit more a nice spare time activity.

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:shock:

:confused: spare time? :confused:

:tongue: