Ballroom Dance > pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

Cheers the problem is not just fit its the fact that there is way too much fabric in the asymmetrical line and the back is cut shorter than the front which with fringe weighing down floats too much and moves rubbish as well as the leo not fitting well. The only dance dress maker in Wales who can do decent alterations is sick. Luckily my teacher and a couple of friends from dance are going to either help me spruce up practice wear or sort out an option on monday.
    I'm just nervous as I want to enjy it and do well plus its at blackpool

RiseNFall likes this.
  2. Dance Mad Helen

Dress sorted thanks to a lovely dancer who understands plus size issues, safety pins and sequins. However now my latin is not going well and a friend who helps me a lot can no longer go.

3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I think it is more your moving two weeks before other than your dancing that's got you going. You've practiced, it's YOUR dancing on the floor with your partner/pro, get the little things in order and don't be afraid to ask around the studio or the other pro's that are there. 4 weeks is a boatload of time to take in a costume/dress. But, that said, if that is another layer of nerves, consider renting a dress for the comp, then afterwards get your dress to the tailor and have it taken in. Relax, you've worked hard, now it's just time to get things lined up and go rock the floor.

FancyFeet and Mr 4 styles like this.
  4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Comp a week from this Friday! I was getting a bit nervous because there has been so much we've been working on, that my brain is like "what do i focus on!?!?!" Mentioned it to pro, and we worked through it. Just not overdo it, and focus on using my feet. I felt better just getting the worry out there. excited for the comp!!

RiseNFall and FancyFeet like this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Love this. A huge part of my comp stress used to come from the same thing. I now go in with one or two overall things to focus on and maybe - depending on how big/new the overall things are - one thing per dance as well. I used to ask pro for them, but now I generally just inform him of what my focus will be and ask if he agrees.

Then I write them down. And when I start to freak out after warming up in that period where I'm waiting to get started, I read them. And post-comp, I pull out the list and make pro read it again before I'll let him watch the video.

Our general rule is that if, for example, my declared main focus for the comp was musicality and expression (face, and use of upper body), then that one spot in the video where I missed a toe lead or my heel turn was less than perfect can not be heavily criticized because *halleluiah* there was an actual expression on my face and I was at max extension. The flubbed footwork can totally be noted as something that needs to be addressed going forward, but as it was not the declared goal for the comp, it gets a lighter treatment that it would had "precise footwork" been the goal.

It helps me focus and be in that calm place at comp. And it makes the horrible experience that video review used to be tolerable without alcohol, as it brings some focus and makes it more constructive (rather than a confidence and motivation destroying list of mistakes made).

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Using your feet while dancing is probably a good idea.

7. scullystwin42

ugh having a bit of pre-comp disorder, which is irritating me. like, for real, unnecessary. stupid cha cha.

s2k likes this.
  8. 3wishes

Ok, I realize this is many months away, but msg from Pro about doing smooth/rhythm in London at Blackpool just made me eat an entire box of peanut M&M's as well as, well, just about hyperventilate.

j_alexandra, Purr and s2k like this.
  9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

One of dancers at the studio is planning on competing and is working hard at recruiting others. Enjoy!

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  10. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I want to go dance rhythm at Blackpool so badly but can't imagine the face DP would give me if I asked...:eek::p

3wishes likes this.
  11. 3wishes

Hey, if you know CPR, go ahead and ask, heh heh heh.

s2k likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

The nerves arrived full force this morning, rather than the slow building of them that I am used to. Thanks, butterflies... it's super helpful of you to arrive after all the pre-comp run-throughs and practices are done, a little over 24 hours before I'll be loading the car, and when all I have left to do (once I make it through the day at work) are non-stress relieving activities like finish tanning, paint my nails and pack my stuff, which all give me tons of time to think. Just great.

Also, thanks competition gods for having me start singles with VW again... why does this keep happening? It's the hardest dance for me to do when I am nervous and tense, and goes way better once I'm settled in and calm.

13. scullystwin42

RiseNFall and FancyFeet like this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Dance in the US. We would never do that to you FF

FancyFeet likes this.
  15. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Prior to every comp I have a lesson where I just can't do anything right. I was a complete mess yesterday afternoon, after really great morning lessons. Thank goodness I'll see pro another time before OSB!

16. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

This is exactly my problem; all of a sudden I'm trying to do everything my brain knows all at once, instead of dancing what my body knows and focussing on one thing. I'm looking at the messy lesson as an opportunity to fix the precomp panic long-term, rather than going with my inclination yesterday, which was "I drove 450 miles today for *that*?!?" The added mental pressure certainly didn't help anything!

17. Mr 4 styles

Bad practice...good comp I worry a little if the practice is toooo good

FancyFeet and SwayWithMe like this.
  18. Dance Mad Helen

It's currently 5.30 am and Im all ready for my first uni comp. I feel sick and have butterflies

19. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Breathe, smile, and have fun. You'll remember more if you aren't stressed.

Mr 4 styles and raindance like this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

It's all fun and games so long as no one loses an eye :confused::D