Ballroom Dance > pre-competition disorder

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Oct 12, 2006.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Which means you need to watch out for ballistic earrings.:eek:

MaggieMoves and Mr 4 styles like this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

T-5 days... reasonably calm, and resisting the urge to over practice.

Current worries:
    - staying calm enough in VW to show what I can do, and so I'm not wiped in the last 30 secs of QS
    - taking a risk with the new dress... praying it will be well received!
    2017-02-05 13.54.48.jpg

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

It's very pretty!!!

Loki likes this.
  4. FancyFeet

Thanks. I like it...It's just different. That said, the current plan is to switch to a more traditional dress for evening scholarship, so it should be fine ;)

5. FancyFeet

Aaaand... jittery this morning, as heat lists came out overnight. I should calm down substantially after tonight's lesson, where I'll be asking to practice my singles in the odd order they'll be happening in, to be sure I've got the mental flip down:
    QS, VW, VW, QS, W-T-F-W-T-F
    Only six in a row, and they're the ones I find easier energy-wise, so should be good there.

I also need to run QS a couple more times to make sure I've got the corrections from the weekend down... no space to do that yesterday, but should have room tonight.

This morning's worries:
    - is pro good-to-go for 19 dances in a row before he gets a heat off? (I know he'll say yes, but I may need to hear him say it out loud to stop my mental spiral on this.)
    - is he wearing his tux for the evening session? (He didn't last time, and TBH, I didn't really like that, but understood why... this time, he doesn't need to do a quick change either before or after, so I really won't like it if he doesn't.)
    - pro's wife is doing pro-am?!?! She never does that... and I find her presence kind of stressful, so I need to wrap my head around the fact that she'll be around through the day session (she usually sleeps in and is absent from the ballroom through the day), and just figure out a way to stay in my happy place.
    - can my neighbour, who's stopping by to look at my newly-leaky sink tonight, fix the problem, or am I going to have to find a plumber between now and Friday... and be home and not tanning/sewing/packing while he's there?
    - self manicure or shellac? Hmm...

I may have issues. Seriously. How can I worry about that many things at once? Also, why are none of them dance-related?

(For the record, these are normal-type worries for me - well, except for the leaky sink - and they're arriving right on schedule. Everything will be fine.)

scullystwin42 likes this.
  6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

All I can think of right now is: Don't forget the Paso Doble routine...

Every other dance I am fine with, just remembering a new Paso routine always has me at my wits end.

7. I usually had problem sleeping the night before, given I'm the kind of person would fall in sleep in 2 mins once my head touches the pillow! HA

8. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

All that going on and you still took the time to thoughtfully respond with make-up advice on DF. Wishing you wonderful dancing at your comp. You will do great!

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Your sink probably has shutoff valves below the counter. If you can't get it fixed before you leave, just shut them off, and no worries.

Loki likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

It doesn't... but no worries, my handy neighbour fixed it :)

Pro has also agreed to wear his tux, and promised to eat before his long morning of dancing... and his cold seems to be getting better.

As per usual, practice calmed me down considerably. There's a reason that I go in nearly every day in the lead-up, just for shorter bursts. (I'm not working on anything, really. Just getting warm, loose and into my legs, then heading out.)

cornutt and Dancing Irishman like this.
  11. FancyFeet

Same to you!

flying_backwards likes this.
  12. FancyFeet

Bahaha... fellow dancer has started to pack, and just sent a picture of her suitcase.

Contents:
    - jewelry
    - shoes
    - two bottles of wine
    - her dog

Her comment: "I'm ready!"

(May have led to a brief but intense moment of "wait, do we dance tomorrow? did I get that wrong? F* am I supposed to be in the car and not at work right now?"... but after checking the schedule, no, we're Saturday. Everything's good.)

13. Mr 4 styles

Huge gap between your singles and scholarship there FF ;)

FancyFeet likes this.
  14. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

This time tomorrow we'll be on the floor, at least 8 times, up to 19 times if we get every recall. Suitcase mostly packed, except the make-up, so I can practice again tonight (not dance, make-up). Map printed, heat-sheets printed, dress ironed, heel protectors on. Everything takes longer than planned. Organizing stuff helps settle my nerves. All my bobby pins are neatly lined up on their card, hair nets neatly wrapped, shoes swaddled each in their own protective sock. Camera emptied and charged. Now just trying to focus on work for another 5 hours.

And I'm so ravenously hungry! I am never this hungry. I've eaten just as usual. I've danced far less than usual. Do you all get extra hungry the day before a comp? Should I eat more? I do not want a big puffy belly tomorrow. The Lycra tells no lies.

15. Mr 4 styles

Eat protein. And yes I'm always hungry the night before a comp

flying_backwards likes this.
  16. FancyFeet

Yep. I went for lunch, watched a few friends dance, took my contacts out, had a nap, and now I'm watching skiing on TV... and I still have hours to go before it's time to get ready again!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

Go get em!!!!

18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

The most extraordinarily random sign of pre-comp disorder I've ever had: I had a dream this weekend where I was talking to a military friend. Mind you, I don't think this person actually exists - I'm pretty sure my brain made him up. Anyways, the guy was cutting someone's hair, then he started to cut mine. He quickly realized he shouldn't be, and I wound up with one strip of my hair that was buzzcut. I immediately started to freak out not that my hair looked ridiculous, but that there was no way it would grow back before Emerald.

3wishes and Purr like this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Come to beach bash then. You will just look cool !!

3wishes likes this.
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

oh man JM!! What a dream!
    Mr. 4 Styles,,,BEACH BASH San Diego...I'm not dancing it, as I just got back to town, but may stop by,,,the Carlsbad Colors (huge flowers beds of color) are in bloom,,,bring the camera, smooth down those jitters (lol, pun completely intended).