Salsa > Prejudice amongst Salseros

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by IsaacAltman, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Some good words there kdogg. I'm Asian and have received no prejudice. Maybe in some cases it is more a matter of the kind of person who you are.

2. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I don't think I've been prejudiced. I've gotten many compliments on my dancing and many comments on why I'm so good and not Latin. I've been asked if I was "full white (which I find hysterical)."

I WILL say that the Latins in the club ARE prejudice toward other Latins (especially the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans against the Hondurans and Mexicans). I find that really strange to become accustomed to...

3. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

For the record Jose neglia is italian yes and that means she"s latin-the very term latin comes from Italy all Italians/spanish speaking people/french/romanian/and portagese are latin. of course your using it in another context (i know) but sometimes people forget,there are people who mess up salsa with ther high brow ways etc ,but as salsaritmo said in a manner of speaking dont give those fools energy-that of course applys to not just salsa dancing-in time positive, up beat, growing people who love and embrace all races will come out ahead

4. Neil

Neil Member

I agree. I'm also Asian and have never had the kind of problem Isaac mentioned. I've never even seen it in any salsa related activity.

I also agree that it's more a matter of the kind of person you are. Obviously, people who don't know you at all don't know your nationality. If they know you well enough to know your nationality, they might also know you well enough to have a personal problem with you.

In Isaac's case, I know I've heard rumbles from other Salseros locally and over the internet who have attended his convention or done other business with him and were not happy. I wont spread any unsubstantiated rumors here though.

An additional issue could be that they don't like Issac's style of salsa. He's a good dancer, but he dances what I call a Latin dancesport style from the ballroom world. I would be far more inclined to believe that there are salseros who have a prejudice against that style than against all non-hispanics, especially if he puts that style on a crowded social dance floor.

Re-reading Isaac's post. It sounds like he's talking specifically about getting low marks from judges in the Salsa world. I know that a lot of the local Salseros define Salsa in such a way that does not include the ballroom style. That might be the prejudice to which Issac refers. I think that the proliferation of Salsa congresses has exposed the most prominent local Salseros to other styles of Salsa and is leading to a liberalization of their attitudes. That should give Issac some cause for hope.

5. brujo

brujo New Member

What a silly thread!

Reading it again made me realize that if you said anything here, you will just be showing your own prejudice.

If I said latinos don't like whiteys or chinitos, then that is my own biased opinion of latinos. Every latino is different, just like every white person, asian, black, russian, etc. is different.

If you have had one individual experience with a person, then the prejudice is held by that person and that person alone, it will be silly to generalize it to the whole group. Wouldn't it be silly if I was rejected by one white girl and say that all white girls are stuck up?

Latinos are great. Just like Asians are great. And whites are great. There is just that initial resistance that you might see when you first meet a person. If you get to know them, they are just like anyone else.

6. elgrancombo

elgrancombo New Member

I'm a blond (sort of) caucasian salsero, and I haven't encountered any prejudice in the scene. The few times I've encountered unfriendliness has been from those who were not accomplished dancers.
    Those who are good dancers seem very open to non-Latin salseros, whether they be black, white, or Asian.

7. africana

africana New Member

what's the point of this thread? for those who *haven't* encountered prejudice? or to ridicule those who say they have? And to what end?

if you haven't encountered it dont go around looking for it! and while you're at it just thank god that your life is a little happier than others who might have and do your best to check discriminatory behavior wherever you may go

-Amen-
    :?

8. tacad

tacad New Member

Well said.

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

well.. what's the point of most threads?

10. Sagitta

To wear something? I think I look buutiful in my birthday suit, but most of the people I interact with everyday wouldn't be so happy methinks.

11. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I've BTDT, too. What's up with that?

12. tj

tj New Member

I thought the point of most threads was for Sabor to flirt with the ladies?

...or at least have the ladies talk about his green socks.

13. DancingMommy

cp - I feel for you. My husband is Indonesian (immigrant style, not AB) and we get more than a few stares when we go out - especially to C/W places. I fit in more or less, but well, he just ain't from around here, lol. Keep your chin up. Things will get better. And for the record, wome of us white girls really *do* like Asian guys. ;)

14. Sagitta

The white and other girls like me. :) I think I'm gonna check my toe out dancing a little bit tonight....

15. tacad

tacad New Member

:doh:

16. Neil

Neil Member

I have to agree with cowpaste. I'm also Asian and I've only met two western women in my entire life (I'm 41 years old) who said they were attracted to Asian men... and I married the first one I met. On the other hand, I've heard a lot of caucasian men say that they are attracted to Asian women.

By the way, it's funny how many Asians are in this forum.

17. DancingMommy

My husband says it's that stereotype that all Asian women are freaky in bed.... He says that the white guys get all excited and then find out the truth too late.

He also swore he'd never date another Asian girl after his fiancee cheated on him, ripped his heart out and stomped that sucker flat.

What's not to like about Asian guys? See the problem is that well.... People read too much Cosmo. There's more to life than WonderBread. :lol:

And we are the exception rather than the rule, here, too. ;) I think I've seen maybe one other couple when we go out that is like us AM/WF. Usually it's the other way 'round. We actually get a kick out of doing covert demographic studies, lol. :)

18. Sagitta

Usually the othe way around? Couple of my lady frieds (white) like Asian men...I actually know quite a few who do. Interesting...I guess as an Asian male I get all the chicks who dig Asian dudes. I should probably pay attention and see how many don't...but then I often am mistaken for a Latino...and am usually dancing...

Oh, but I have to rest my foot now. hmmm...a research project to keep me occupied. :)

19. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I've got several Asian male friends. I just wouldn't date any of them. I'm not really attracted to them, that is all...

Now Latin guys...that's a different story...especially the very hot Dominican I sometimes dance with...with green eyes.

In truth, I'm married now, so I'll not date ever again. I am just stating an opinion IF I stepped back...

20. DancingMommy

TT -

I use to be attracted to Latinos. Heh. But something just clicked for me.... ;)