Salsa > Prejudice amongst Salseros

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by IsaacAltman, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Neil

Neil Member

I've never heard that stereotype. I've heard many guys who think that most Asian women make good wives because they are more submissive than American women. That might be true until they become Americanized.

We've gotten a little off of the original topic of this thread, which was an American Salsa competitor who felt his low marks reflected a bias among Salseros against non-hispanics. Even though his original post is now years old, it seems timely now in light of the results of last weekend's Puerto Rican Salsa Congress.

My response to the original post was that the bias was against his style of Salsa (ballroom) rather than his nationality. Does anybody here have any inside information on what happened in PR? Was it judges voting for their local friend? Was it a matter of style? Nationality?

2. Kali Ma

Kali Ma New Member

Hmmm...I'm a "western" woman, and you look pretty darn cute to me (may I reiterate: Looking kinda HOT there, guy!). As handsome Asian men have never been excluded from my 'list' :raisebro:, I can only asume that many of the women you've dealt with have been blind and/or tragically limited. But, you seem to be referring to Caucasian women as the source of your woes, so I guess I'm kinda out of the running. :lol:

3. latindia

latindia New Member

I had this wierd experience in this respect last week.

I was at this latin bar: they have a live band and open the floor every thursday night. There are a lot of good dancers, lots of beginners and lots of guys standing around trying to pick up women, and lots of girls wanting to be picked up. That kinda place.

I was looking for someone to dance with and saw these 3 black women standing in a corner. They were very pretty, but obviously had no idea of salsa. Soon enough, they got snapped up by 3 guys (including myself).

I had a couple of dances with one girl. She picked up the salsa basic quickly enough and seemed to have a good time dancing. After I while I found myself partnerless again and found her with her group, so asked her to dance again.

(Background: I'm from India, lived in the US for about 5 years. I get mistaken a lot for black or Latino, depending on circumstances. Been salsa dancing for 4-5 months now, so I guess I'm a slightly experienced beginner)

This time while dancing I noticed she was not enjoying it, seemed to be looking at her friends again and again. I tried to make her comfortable...didn't work. Anyway, then we have this conversation on the floor:

she: are you black?
    me: What? (I wasn't sure what she said)
    she: are you black or latino?
    me(deciding to be difficult): what do u mean?
    she: what's your skin color?
    me(more annoyed): brown
    she: NO!! I didn't mean that!!! What nationality are you?
    me: Indian
    she: oh, I gotta go back to my friends.
    And she just walks off to her friends in the middle of the dance.

Any thoughts? I was really pi$$ed and puzzled at this experience. What's going on here?

Thanks
    Raj

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

You say the women obviously had no idea of salsa, so perhaps they were just normal :roll: club goers, not looking for a salsa fix but simply looking for hot males to pair off with later, or even potential dating material. You know, in the non-salsa night club world, dancing is considered a mating ritual... :roll: :lol: Obviously the girl only wanted to mate with black men.

5. alemana

alemana New Member

sounds like plain garden-variety prejuidice to me.

6. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

seems most likely to me... it's not dancing prejudice... just dating prejudice

7. latindia

latindia New Member

Excuse me, are you suggesting that I don't count as a 'hot male'? Grrrr :evil:

Hmmm...looks like I'll just have to stay away from 'normal' :roll: women then :lol:

Thanks for your responses. I think I understand the situation better now. Can't let those stupid chicks get my dance mojo down, can I???? :)

8. alemana

alemana New Member

not a fan of the derogatory "chick" but yes, you're right, don't let those stupid people get you down. keep dancing.

9. africana

africana New Member

dating or dancing prejudice, they all mix together in the salsa world, and some races/genders experience more than others, and based on the particular scene's norms.

but there are ways around it, you'll live

10. latindia

latindia New Member

Oh, please, Alemana. Indulge me this time. Someone like that deserves a lot worse. :twisted:

Thanks for your encouragement. Will keep dancing and will be happy :D

R

11. alemana

alemana New Member

i always experience those sorts of terms as a slap in my own face, so sorry, no indulgence, but i do understand your frustration :)

12. latindia

latindia New Member

And I understand yours. I assure you I do not use terms like that lightly. No offence directed to you or the rest of womankind.

Thanks for listening, you guys rock :D

13. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Nil illegitimendi carborundum (or at least that is what my daddy told me once). ;)

14. David

David New Member

In most places in Sydney I've noticed very little racially based prejudice on the dance floor. With Sydney being as culturally diverse as it is there are lots of people in the salsa scene from all sorts of different ethnic backgrounds. Caucasians (White-ies in general (such as I)), Asians (meaning the entire Asian continent rather than just eastern "Asia"), "Latinos" (Mediterranean and South American)... and no shortage of others who don't necessarily fit in to one of those "umbrella categories". And just about every body will dance with just about every body.

And the dating mix is just as diverse, especially within the salsa scene. Just about every body will date just about every body. For my self... the colour of a girls' skin is probably the least important thing I can think of when it comes to that :D

15. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Thats a place to be. May be I ought to move out there and become an Aussie :wink: .

16. africana

africana New Member

I second that! (if it's true)

17. tacad

tacad New Member

I was thinking the same thing.

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmm, might there be some interest in reviving THE PLAN? :raisebro:

19. africana

africana New Member

hahaah with salsachinita? where's she these days?

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:bouncy: Right here....!!!!!

Yay! The PLAN 8) ...........