Ballroom Dance > Pro-Am registration

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by gingerbread, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

From the Dancebeat.com website feature on the NDCA 60th anniversary gala, I see this sentence:

NDCA will begin voluntary registration of pro-am competitors. Fee will be $25 and $20 of that will be given back in scholarships. Anyone registered with the NDCA will be eligible for the scholarships.

Does this mean you no longer get scholarship money unless you spend $25 or $20 to register? IHow would I find out? That is quite ambiguous.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I believe the individual competition organizers will be slowly adopting this practice, and a good way to get more info would be to call an organizer and ask them as you are inquiring about participating in their competition. I have a feeling not all will be doing this for the get go.

3. reb

reb Active Member

Good question gingerbread.
    Good point DM.

Assuming this is true (dancebeat source vs. NDCA source) . . .

Seems clear:
    • If you want to be in the scholarship event, you must register with the NDCA and pay the registration fee
    We probably can guess, but its wording could be better:
    • If you don't register with the NDCA, you're not eligible for the scholarship events. Clarification could be used:
      • Given the winnings?
      • Entering the event?
      • How this might apply (or not) to Dance Sport Series (some remuneration along the way), and/or other multi-dance championships
    Guess:
    • As long as you don't enter the scholarships, the Student Dancer doesn't have to register with the NDCA (consistent with the New NDCA rule book, I think)

4. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

I am wondering if I will have to change my status form amateur to pro/am competitor.

5. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm already double-registered with the NDCA, once as an Amateur Competitor and once as a Registrar. I hope I don't have to add a third category so I can keep doing Pro/Am Scholarships.

6. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Hmmmm,

When is all this taking effect? I guess I will find out later today if I need to change my status before I can dance in the Scholarship events in Nashville.

I will post my findings.

7. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Does this seem to be a per event fee or is it an annual registration and $20 of the $25 will be paid to scholarship winners one time (if they actually win money)?

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

What more money? It seems hardly possible that an agency is going to drive up the cost of pro/am even further. If they are going to charge a fee that is in essence a membership (what does 'registration' mean?) then surely they should also provide equal services for pro/am students as for ams. Thus, IMO they should also provide a code for the student and for the pro.....(I know, fat chance). Also, once registered rules such as 'you must dance 6 single heats in order to enter schollarship' should be dropped - they already constitute a registration fee for each competition.

We have seen the emergence of pro/am only competitions that are not subject to rules of any organization. I wonder what the cost comparisons are between these 'products' and if there will be (is?) a drift of pro/ams away from the 'full service' comps to these.

9. reb

reb Active Member

There might be more than one way to read this.

Is this right? Is this good/better? What will happen? I don't know.

But I do know that I have just witnessed several positive steps being delivered by two organizations - organizations made up of honest hard-working people.

How about giving them a break - and a fair chance.

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Sorry if I come accross as knee-jerk cynical - but what else is there reb? If there is positive talk about pro/am as a competetive dancesport variant I would love to know about it and I will be very supportive. Also, if any agency would say anything about protecting pro/amers from financial abuse then they will get my instant accolades. But all we read is ways of exclusing pro/ams from equal consideration with ams and of new ways of increasing fees without any stated benefit.

So yes, I suppose I do come across as cynical - but I am not a cynic by nature at all, its just that I have not seen anything yet to dispell that mood.

Along these lines, could you please enlarge on the positive steps? It would make my day on this issue...

11. reb

reb Active Member

You're right.

We're all probably positive or cynical depending on the situation, our perspective - at that time, etc.

I say we keep on keeping on . . .:D

We've seen improvements, and yet whether its in the rules that Laura mentioned (some parents . . . ), or in the loosening/reality of the Amateur rules, or in the Pro/Am situation - my observation has been a general improvement and fixing of the major issues facing us.

And then more issues are revealed.

Even in biz, people often expect a perfect world - we're smart why can't we figure it out. Surely if its not perfect (for me), then someone must have constructed it evil-ly, etc. If revenue does not increase in a straight line, there must be a problem (yeah, a problem with expectations . . . business is lumpy in the real world), etc.

No, it is often a discovery process. There is not a 'normal' of yesterday that was perfect. We continue to make improvements - let's enjoy them (smell the roses), not behead people when they make a mistake.

In the words of that famous LA philosopher "why can't we all just get along?!"

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I agree with the spirit of your post. Unfortunately, there are rarely improvements that go against one person's or a group of people's personal interests unless someone somewhere initiates them. From my perspective, the sad thing about pro/am is that it could be an excellent top-rank dancesport there is a resistance to this not only from many who profit from it as it stands but also from many who participate in it.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a)no biggie...the cost of registration is nothing compared to the cost of dancing pro/am
    b) lol....where are these pro/am comps with no rules from a governing body?????...I did eleven last year and there where plenty of rules
    c) I echo reb's last post and also think that perhaps if registration was mandatory for pro/am some of the ignorance of the rules would dissapate and perhaps more personal responibility for all aspects of dance would be fostered..in some cases

14. fascination

perhpas this move will help facilitate that sort of legitimacy

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i guess i weigh in the cynical side on this one. it's money, after all, apparently required on top of an already very expensive and heavily "taxed" event. i would expect to see scholarships go significantly up in their prize money if this is what the NDCA is implementing. and that would be nice.

if not... shame on them. meh... it's money on top of money. a little ritual beheading would be apropos, IMO, if they're trying to tap a vein on top of an artery.

16. fascination

myabe....but I would rather assume that the more involved I am in an organization, the more input I will have...and membership is a start and again, 25 bucks isn't even what I pay for one heat....I'll roll the dice on the merits of this and go with being positive...saving my negativity for my lessons ;)

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's a positive point, i agree.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

If it gives the am half of proam more voice in ndca, definitely seems like a positive to me. From the outside looking in, and reading various convos here, it seems that the primary representation of pro/am is all from the pro side (fa and am, etc), and the am side doesn't get a voice in ndca. Assumption is that the parent organizations we dance under speak for both halves of the equation, but do they? ALso, should they? FA and AM both have shareholders to answer to, so if an issue comes up where it's helpful to am half but hurts their bottom line, ethically FA/AM should be against it, even if they're supposed to represent us.

I do know that in spome respects I'm happy I just do our closed comps, because there I know the rules and all the aspects, so I know I'm not doing something wrong (well, 96% of the time I know what's going on, anyway ;) ). Plus, this year at least, only change I know of is adding one dance to the syllabus. Nothing like all the changes under ndca. Course, ti's easy to pick at problems from outside the organization (and the country ;) )

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

How would you feel if your supermarket now decided to charge you $25 to enter and shop? How many people here would support it with the rationalization that this would mean better produce? Its not cynical to assume that this was just a grab for $25 its actually common sense.

The trouble is this registration thing did not start from a discussion of whats good for pro/am, a list of objectives and a discussion - followed by the realization that to achieve this we need to pay a registration. At least thats not how its been presented here. If what we have seen is accurate its a demand for yet more money without any benefit.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Hang on... Are we talkin' registering annually with the NDCA for membership, or paying this registration fee for each comp? Confused.