Ballroom Dance > Problem with one judge

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Rumbagirl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

I am not sure what to do. Have one judge no matter what comp and who is there who places me last in all dances. The last two comps they did this (one was huge) I ended up making both finals and placing 1st at one comp, and 4th in the other in spite of their marks. However, in closely contested comps this can make the difference of a placement. This judge marked me 1st the first time they judged me, but after a brief social interaction, now places me last in all dances the moment I step on the floor. Frustrating! Any suggestions?

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

If you have a DVD of your comp dancing in which the judges were participating, one possibility is to schedule a "coaching" or lesson with the judge, show the DVD of your dancing, and ask what it is that the "judge/teacher" would like to see out of your dancing or would not like to see. Then you can receive more insight directly.

3. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

Think about what was said in your social interaction, perhaps you let slip some political stance, i.e. who you go to for lessons! It may be a grudge that they have against your studio or teacher it may be nothing personal!

Just keep grinding away, treat their mark as another goal to go for i.e. better than last.

If they keep marking you last and your winning, eventually their marks may improve as they will start to look a little "out of touch" or like a "Pratt".

The day you get them to raise their mark will give you a lot of satisfaction (an added victory).

4. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

Very little was said in the interaction...it had a slight sexual overtone which made me uncomfortable...Nothing about dancing, and they do not know my teacher. Independent. The coaching is a good idea, I am not sure how much coaching they do. May also be uncomfortable...

5. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

Yeah, the judge wants you to book a lesson with them, "classic"!
    You're choice, "you pays your money, you gets your mark"!

6. Oldgeezer

Oldgeezer New Member

If your coach is an independent speak to them as they seem to be doing you no harm if you are winning comps. Seek their advice, they may be able to suggest a strategy that may overcome your problematic judge. I would suggest that you don't go doing the rounds without a sound strategy.

Unless they are going to be able to help you in dance or politically, don't throw your money away, especially if there is a possible sleezebag overtone to this judge.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fortunately, none of us knows enough about this situation to know why it seems to be happening...and thankfully, we don't need to get into further detail...the obvious solution is to either; a) pursue the judge after the comp and seek their advice if you respect them enough professionally that you think you could benefit from it (provided that you are not alone and subject to any further percieved "sexual overtone"...b) join the rest of the world in understanding that there will be some of this no matter what...c) if it is particularly glaring and ongoing and actually effects your outcomes, you can talk to your coach about reporting it

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I would simply ignore it and move on.

9. Josh

Josh Active Member

+1

Channel the mental and physical effort you're putting into this question into continuing your dance progress. Make it so obvious that you should get the first place marks that a judge would look foolish to mark you last.

10. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

+2

There was a local judge who never marked me and I took it personally. But really I wasn't doing stuff they expected to see at the level. Eventually I improved and started getting the marks.

If it's Latin, there are also more likely (in my opinion) to be stylistic judgements which come into play. Sometimes you just can't please everyone.

11. Nazar

Nazar Member

I agree with Larinda. One judge woudn't make it. Convince others that you are the best and one judge's opinion won't matter. Good luck to you

12. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

Thanks for the input. I think for now I will just do my best and move on. Looking at the marks doesn't change them. Usually I think it is better for me not to look. ;)

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think looking at your marks can be beneficial... in that you can see where the general trend of your dancing, is it up or down and what dances tend to have better or worse marks.

I think looking at WHICH JUDGES mark you will make you crazy. Best to leave that one alone.

14. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

If you can avoid getting emotionally involved (tough, I know), sometimes knowing how a particular judge marked you can give you information, if you know or know about the judge. If a particular judge is known to put a high priority on clean footwork, for example, getting an outlying low mark from that judge might suggest an area to improve.

But you also have to remember that the judge is only judging a random few seconds of your dance. Sometimes you just have bad luck, and one particular judge happens to be looking when you make your one mistake in that dance.

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I tend to not worry about which judge was which mark unless it differs drastically from the rest. For example the last time I did Yankee apparently one judges was watching an entirely different Standard competition from everyone else as it was something like 3-3-3-3-1 for all single dances--she must have really liked something about my dancing none of the others did, which was interesting to know. But if there's already a personal issue, I would just ignore it--it's one judge on a panel of at least four others.

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

+3. Definitely move on, don't let things like that to bother you and affect you. It's not constructive.

17. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Ignore it. One judge will not affect overall placement, usually.

18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

another agreement for ignoring it and using the conserved energy to improve your dancing!

19. liz

liz New Member

I agree.. look at he majority.

20. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Agree that judges marks may give you good information about your dancing level at some cases. You should discuss the marks with your coach. We compete in International Standard and I have noticed few trends: if the judge is a latin or smooth dancer, or used to focus mostly on that in his/her past - the low marks from this judge when compare with others most likely indicate the overall look and presentation may need an improvement, if the judge is focused on standard in his/her carrier, the high marks may indicate that you mastered one of the techniques that takes years to master. If you got marks like: 111115 in most dances, check out if you have the couple that this judge personally coaches with you on the floor, and take the mark 5 as the complement to your strength, this judge most likely will give you high marks at another competition when his/her couple is NOT going head to head with you (this is very common technique with judges from former soviet school: to give the strongest competitor a much lower mark). But never take it personal with any of the judges, work on your dancing with your coach, impove your dancing, so every second of your routine looks as good as the other (this is a factor too) and enjoy the ride. Judges are humans too, they make mistakes, they may do not like someone and cannot even explain why, they have bad days and good days, they have to participate in some political games to keep getting invited to judge. Why dancing would be different from the real world. Just because it is an escape from it for us? Remember for the judges it is a job:)