Ballroom Dance > Professional Hair/Makeup Prices

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, May 3, 2017.

1. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I have never used professionals for my competition hair or makeup, so I have no idea what they charge for these services. Can you give me some ideas how much they charge? Also do I need to provide, say hair decorations or eyelashes, or do they provide them?
    Thank you.

2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Prices vary, just like with everything. ;) Off the top of my head, I'll say $150 hair and makeup combined, mid-range. Plus tips if it's not the owner of the business doing it. Eyelashes are sometimes included, but certainly not always. Don't think hair decorations are ever included in the price, but some/most will have some available for you to purchase (same with eyelashes). Big difference between the big name vendors and somebody doing it on the side.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  3. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

For hair, Boyko is $90-$110, depending on the comp. Not sure about makeup.

I've paid Purple Tiger $75 for hair. I know there was an upcharge for eyelashes.

scullystwin42 and blackswan like this.
  4. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

If you have hair jewelry you like, definitely bring your own. I have provided jewelry for up sell to hairdressers so I am assuming that they are selling them for more than retail since I am getting my retail price.

Also, many of the vendors that do a lot of hair have a particular style.,.. (aka Boyko) so be sure you like their style before you plunk down a ton of cash

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Keep in mind as well that there are likely cheaper, but still good sources out there. Here, several of the higher-level dancers (me included) or pros will do hair and make-up on days when it suits their comp personal schedule.

I have a sliding price scale, depending on complexity - simple kids or latin buns are the least expensive, elaborate, stoned standard hairstyles are more. I tend to ask people what they're thinking, then provide a quote - because it's not a business for me. I do have hair elastics, nets, pins, false lashes and new tubes of mascara available that I let go at cost for those that need them, and bring them if I plan on doing hair for anyone but me. I supply everything else (makeup, gel, hairspray, tools, etc.). I have a few hair decorations that I will loan/rent to those that I know well, but don't make a practice of bringing them - they need to be requested in advance.

Vendor prices I've heard are about $80 and up for hair, $50 and up for makeup. Hair decorations are usually supplied by the client (or purchased from the vendor at retail). Lashes are sometimes provided by the make-up artist, sometimes not.

scullystwin42 and IndyLady like this.
  6. blackswan

blackswan Member

The last time I saw Boyko, it was $80 for his makeup team.

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'd say on average, it's $80 for hair, $80 for makeup, extra to purchase lashes and accessories, but there are some who charge less and some who charge more. Try different artists and get a feel for who you prefer. Lately I've been changing it up for each comp just to try out some different looks.

8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<bump>
    Just found out my preferred hair/makeup vendor will not be at my next competition. Argh. Am looking for feedback on Boyko, Anna Demidova, and "Flawless by Carolina" all of whom will be there. I've seen plenty of Boyko's work, and some of Anna, but not Carolina. Any suggestions or preferences? TIA

9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I used Boyko (assistants, not him) at my last competition and it all went off flawlessly.

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. j_alexandra

thank you!

11. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

If Stefan Glubovic (AKA Dancecake Makeup) is at your comp, he does BEAUTIFUL work. He's Texas based and I'm in New York so I've never personally used him, but I've been following his career closely. Also, Boyko and his assistants are great. I girl, I think her name was Jenny, did a really cool hairstyle on me and Tessa Marie did a STUNNING makeup job.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Boyko. I like his assistants too- Silviya, Oliie and Jenny were all great. I usually also like Tessa but she did not do such a good job as I had come to expect at a recent comp. Also poked my eye and I got an eye infection- may have had an off day. This was the first time I was not 100 percent satisfied. I do like that they always run on time. It's less stress than having to sit there while your hair/makeup person is working on one and has 2 others in line before you- I have actually been in that situation. Overall, I will always choose Boyko if they are an option.

j_alexandra likes this.
  13. j_alexandra

Thanks, folks. This may be my first Boyko comp -- nobody else is responding...

14. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I've had Stefan - his work is beautiful