General Dance Discussion > Professional or not?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by balletgurl222, Aug 22, 2016.

1. balletgurl222

balletgurl222 New Member

So, I have experience working with dance companies (outside of an educational environment). I have not received compensation in the form of traditional dollars, but I have received compensation in the form of dinners, gifts, drawings, pictures, and transportation. Would that still be considered professional? I'm still trying to figure out the labels of everything. I did not have to pay to be in these companies and they are not affiliated with a school.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not sure how it works with ballet...but in terms of ballroom I would think you could very safely claim to never have been a pro

3. balletgurl222

balletgurl222 New Member

I just realized that I have been paid and am contracted to receive pay. Thanks

4. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Getting paid in the am world is not prerequisite for being 'pro'. A 'pro' declares themselves a pro and competes in the pro track. It has nothing to do with your 'job'. If you wish to compete as an amateur, simply compete.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  5. balletgurl222

balletgurl222 New Member

I am not a ballroom dancer.

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Tax laws on "gifts " for services rendered , are considered income, over a certain value .I don't think yours qualify..

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

For tax purposes, you would need to show income over a certain period (depending on what tax jurisdiction you live in, US and what state.) For purposes of your sport or art, depends on the sport. In ballroom, you wouldn't be a pro. In equestrian (governed by USEF, at least) if you were given the dinners, gifts, etc. as direct payment--ie it wasn't a case of them providing food in the green room, they weren't participation gifts that everyone received--specifically as compensation for your performance, then if you are over 18 they'd consider you a professional. If you're in a sport with a governing body or a performance art with a union, you need to read the specific rules covering non-monetary compensation. Stuff that would not make me a professional in skating would make me a pro in horseback riding.

8. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

I have no idea, but I'm just thinking of amateur hockey players. They get per diem, may get gift cards, room and board, but they are still considered amateurs, so I would think that unless you get paid in actual money, you are not considered professional.