Tango Argentino > Projecting steps

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

I might be the wrong person to talk about this - i have pretty much confounded close embrace with apilado for me - but i think looking for commitment is probably the wrong framework when doing this - when it works well it is all about sensitivity and projecting and receiving information, being continuously both surprised and appreciative of what is happening just now, and matching and shaping it, trying to offer something similarly appreciable, and reacting to each other, it is really extraordinary, and really close to reading each others minds. A melding of perceptions, and brains, and souls.
    What happens in apilado is very different, it is more creating a shared body, no longer reacting to each other, but being unified, a melding of bodies and souls, with less of this continious stimulation and surprise of how the dance is turning out.

And with both approaches the really good dances happen not nearly often enough :(.

Gssh

2. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

double post - sorry

3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but yes, I think if apilado causes someone back pain, then I think the person is missing a crucial aspect of it. I find it very comfortable.

I don't think you are advocating this, but I can't figure out how it's not an oxymoron.

Exactly right.

I would call that the main advantage.

I would consider the most advanced dance to be the one where the dancer can derive the greatest dance from the most minimal of effort. Complexity and difficulty are not, IMO, the most advanced dance.

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I would say that Gssh's description makes sense for open embrace, but not so much for the "2 inches apart close but not touching" embrace with a fusion of the follower's left arm to the leader's right arm. The embrace isn't soft and flexible or "dynamic" it's fairly static but without physical connection of the bodies. I don't get the signals I would in CE or the ones I would get in OE.

Lest anyone still doesn't understand what I'm talking about when I brought this up... by "no chest contact" I don't mean contact along the SIDE of the body in a V-embrace... I mean the point of contact is in the area of the follower's tricep and inside of her elbow. Where that lands on the leader depends on his height, but they seem to want it on their bicep and elbow. (but not in an expanded ballroom frame) The chests may be V or parallel (usually parallel) close enough that loose clothing would brush, but you don't feel it. Literally a few inches. Too close to see, too far to feel.

Or perhaps these guys are just used to bustier women. Maybe I could solve the problem with a WonderBra.

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

They should stop fearing women. :cool:
    If a busty ones came to them they would still reject the embrace.

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a perfectly awful swing dance I had many years ago. My partner was a beginner and had clamped my elbow between her body and L upper arm, making it impossible for me to bend my elbow. My forearm and hand were sticking out behind her, with my hand waving around in the air. It didn't seem so funny at the time.

7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

A beginner who thinks they are advanced.

:D

Gssh likes this.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorry Zoopsia, didn´t mean to comment on your dancing nor to post something negative!

9. Zoopsia59

Yeah, I was thinking this too... That Beginner and advanced are actual levels of dance ability whereas Intermediate is a psychological state that people pass through just before realizing they are still beginners.

10. Zoopsia59

No need to apologize (especially for being negative.. I'm negative a lot!)

opendoor likes this.
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

[quote="Zoopsia59,]
    Or perhaps these guys are just used to bustier women. Maybe I could solve the problem with a WonderBra.[/quote]
    Heh. I've gained a fair but if weight, and prolly now qualify as "busty." It doesn't help. ;-)