Dance Articles > Protect your brain by dancing

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by old dog, Nov 9, 2011.

1. old dog

old dog Member

This short article was just posted on CNN.com. It describes some of the latest thinking on prevention of memory loss as we age. You can find "How To Cut Your Risk of Memory Loss" at:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/09/health/keeping-brain-young-memory/index.html?hpt=he_c1

Here is the part we found most interesting, though we dancers already knew this:

"... late-life Alzheimer's, affecting people in their 80s and 90s, has only a minor genetic component and can be delayed or prevented with lifestyle changes -- especially if the changes begin in midlife, says Dr. Majid Fotuhi, chairman of the Neurology Institute for Brain Health and Fitness and a neurology professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Fotuhi began ballroom dancing when he was a student at Harvard Medical School. It was a break from all the studying. More than that, it was fun.

Now a neurologist, Fotuhi still dances. He and his wife, Bita, have mastered the tango. As an expert on how the brain ages, Fotuhi sees another benefit: Dancing is the perfect activity to keep the brain young. "When people say, 'What's the one thing I can do?' I say, 'Dance.' " Fotuhi says.

The answer to keeping the brain sharp, neurologists agree, is not sudoku or crossword puzzles -- despite the conventional wisdom. Staying physically fit is the most important element to keeping the brain young later in life, they say. Remaining socially engaged and mentally active in new and challenging ways are the two other components to long-term brain health.

Fotuhi says ballroom dancing is perfect because it combines physical activity, social interaction and the mental challenge of remembering the steps."

Dancing is a low-risk investment that has both immediate and very long-term payoffs. What more can we ask for? Perhaps this will get more non-dancers to consider dancing as a good way to improve the quality of their lives -- now and for years to come.

2. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks for sharing, old dog! I would love to see an increase in dance enthusiasts based on this.

3. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Just came across this. Very timely for me, because I am in a quandary and have been considering stepping away from dancing for a while. Maybe that's not such a good idea...

4. peter.200285

peter.200285 New Member

good work old dog, i am dancing for almost 5 years but i even do not know these things about dance, i was dancing just because it makes me feel good. But now i am deciding to dance throughout my entire life :)
    Cha Cha Cha..... Cha Cha Cha...... Cha Cha Cha