Swing Discussion Boards > Question about this particular situation in WCS

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Thanks for this way of looking at it! :cheers:

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

This was published in 1998 in "In the Swing" magazine.
    http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101385994674-211/KennyInterview.pdf I got the date and source by hunting around.

About playing at the end of the slot:
    "If there's nothing in the music telling you to play, don't," said Mary Ann. (Nunez)

"If a woman stays out there for two counts, he may not notice. If it's four counts, he'll pay attention. If it's six to twelve, you had better be entertaining," said Beata (Howe)...

Sounds like really good advice to me.

3. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

In my dance community it's all the rage for women to take "styling" classes where they learn synchopations and hijacking. I really don't have a problem with this fad because women who are good at make me look like a much better lead than I am, and it can add very fun dynamics to the usual lead/follow of WCS. It's also good because it makes the ladies feel empowered.

However......

Too many women are really getting carried away. Lately a lady I danced with hijacked four attempts at a sugar push in a row. I then tried and whip but she wouldn't let me. Every right or left pass she hijacked. The rest of the dance I just decided to let her do her own thing because she made it impossible to lead her. I got the impression she thought I was a lousy lead because nothing felt right.

My example is not an isolated case, although most women aren't that extreme. The majority of women aren't very good at syncopations so they don't settle enough to let me know when to take them out of a hijack. That wouldn't be a problem but they will try this over and over in a single dance, and then it becomes very mushy in terms of anchoring or for me to decide what to lead. I don't mind if they practice by doing, but since I don't practice new moves more than once a dance I feel they should have the same courtesy.