Swing Discussion Boards > Question about triple swing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by lynn, Jul 27, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

OK, eventhough that explanation is crytsal clear, i think it's still way more effective if i just go and shove a co-worker. Not too worry, we've got more programmers than we need, i'm sure the company can spare me one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

2. lynn

lynn New Member

This REALLY is the last question, i promise!

I've finally fixed the hopping problem but i find that i have a tendency to be dancing on my toes, is this right??

3. d nice

d nice New Member

It should be the balls of your feet. East Coast, like Lindy Hop is an athletic dance, so your over all body posture is going to be weight on the balls of your feet (think end of your laces in normal sneakers. Your knees bent so they are over the balls of your feet, your hips pulled back and your sternum over your knees.

This posture allows you to stalmost upright but capable of changing direction without having to change your posture.

Your heels can and in most cases should touch the ground, but there should be no weight on them most of the time. (think jogging)

4. GreyBlueEyes

GreyBlueEyes New Member

i'm VERY new at this...have only had one class in fact. this topic is a bit old so i'm not sure if anyone will see this, but i noticed that the more i loosen up my knees and allow movement in them, the more i sink instead of bounce. is that right?

oh, and i don't remember who said it, but i have three children and i can assure you that most babies do not run before they can walk ;)

5. lynn

lynn New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wanted to question that too, but having no babies of my own, i'm not qualified to comment on that sentence!

6. lynn

lynn New Member

Oh, did i say "wecome" yet??

If not, then WELCOME TO DF!! :banana:

Anyways, back to triple swing.....loosen up the knees....haven't thought of that.... how do you "loosen up the knees"??

7. dTas

dTas New Member

your knees should be allowed to flex and "bounce" but don't bend them. stand with your legs straight then slightly bend them so you can lightly bounce. this is where your knees are "loose" if you bend your legs more you'll notice that you start to use your leg muscles more to control the movemnt, that's too much.

when you do a triple try stepping your first step only the width of your foot away from the other. then close your feet and step out larger with the "3" foot.

8. lynn

lynn New Member

Oh, i thought you are supposed to use your leg muscle when you straighten your knee and transfer weight to the other foot, is that not how it works??

9. d nice

d nice New Member

You are. It is.

10. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

I didn't mean that babies have a full out run before they walk, more of babies can get their mementum going from their center and have a hard time getting the feet to keep up with them. Does that clarify what I meant? I just had images of my sister (who is now 6 years old) moving her body a little to fast for her feet and falling over... but she got her center moving..... :oops:

11. dTas

dTas New Member

YES, this would happen on the 2 and the 4 and the 6 beats. i was describing a "soft" knee as opposed to a "bent" knee. you would have a bent knee on the 2, 4, 6 and soft knees elsewhere.

1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5, 6

trip - ple - step, trip - ple - step, rock, step

soft - soft - bend, soft - soft - bend, soft, bend

12. lynn

lynn New Member

running to bathroom to practice the "soft knee" concept...

13. dTas

dTas New Member

are you back from the bathroom? :D

14. lynn

lynn New Member

yep! had to avoid the busy bathroom traffic after the coffe break!! It's a little difficult explaining to your co-worker why you're hopping around in the bathroom...

O.K., my observation:

Bending knee on 2,4,6 - is this why people look like they're leaning towards the side?

During the soft-soft (ie, 1& or 3&), is there a need to straighten the knee? I had someone telling me that in practice, we flex the right knee on 1, straight knee and transfer weight to the other foot, flex the left knee on & (sorry, this is the follower's part, not sure about the leaders) but that's not how it is in reality. It's because the triplets are so fast, you don't straighten your knees, you always keep your knees flexed, does that sound right?

*Back to bathroom for more practice*

15. dTas

dTas New Member

you really don't need to "lean" to the side on 2,4.6... you just need to show emphasis on those beats (more than the others). often people do end up isolating their rib cages a bit and show some degree of "leaning". you can who the emphasis by just staying over that bent knee a little longer and not "springing" out of the 2,4,6. (push out of 2,4,6)

you could straighten your knee on the 1& and 3&. i think its mor of a degree of flex i wouldn't concentrate too hard on straightening as much as just transfering weight. the body will straighten and flex the knee accordingly to accomplish the task.

16. lynn

lynn New Member

back from more practice.... I've since relocated myself to the balcony, practicing triplets in the bathroom just seems.....wrong...

keeping the "soft" and "bend" knee principles and the size of steps in mind, i think my triplets are looking rather nicely :lol: (o.k., i need to go home and put on my heels, things may go crazy then)! One observation - bending the left knee seem more unnatural than right??

o.k., for step 6 (the rock step), i feel more like taking a soft knee approach as to bending the knee...need to work on that...

Oh, can you explain a little more what you mean by "staying over that bent knee a little longer and not "springing" out of the 2,4,6. (push out of 2,4,6) - yes, i've seen the "isolating ribcage" phenomenon, it's way beyond me for now.

17. dTas

dTas New Member

try this... march in place. every 3rd step stomp harder than the first two. you're emphasizing the 3rd step. just like you would in swing.

about the 6 beat... try doing this: triple-step, triple-step, rock, STOP!

on the 6 FREEZE and hold your balance on that bent knee. that'll help drill in the technique.

18. GreyBlueEyes

GreyBlueEyes New Member

this whole thread is immensely helpful :) i'm filing away all the advice to keep using as my class continues (first class we learned triple step).

and michelle: i think what you are describing is that kids learn how to run before they learn how to *stop* :) when they first start running they usually end up by tipping over instead of actually stopping because of that momentum of their center. i know what you mean, though!

19. lynn

lynn New Member

oh, yeah, the advices on DF are so useful makes me wonder why i need private classes :shock: :lol: :lol: !!!

The marching definately helps, now i just need more practice, and a pair of high heels!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!

20. dTas

dTas New Member

Virtual privates! now there's an idea!

i could teach more than one private an hour that way.

8) :D 8)