Ballroom Dance > Videos > Question about videos

Discussion in 'Videos' started by tanya_the_dancer, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

OK, now that I have enough competition videos, I've noticed that they sometimes alter proportions in different directions. For example, my latest video from HOA made us taller and skinnier, the video I had earlier this year from Florida Superstars made us shorter and fatter, and the video I had last year in Dallas had the proportions about right. What do the people who record the videos do differently to get such different outputs?

2. saludas

saludas New Member

they are all recorded correctly, but either your playback system or their outputting system is changing the proportions. for instance, the 'short fat' look (commonly seen with people who have widescreen tvs that are preset to 'fill thescreen' when a 4:3 ration picture is present) is a problem with your playback.

TV is 4:3; hi def etc is 16:9. Something shot 16:9 will play thin and tall on a reg tv; the opposite for something shot 4:3.

3. tanya_the_dancer

OK, thanks. I'll see if I can change playback settings for this.

4. saludas

saludas New Member

change them on your tv...

5. tanya_the_dancer

What if I stick the dvd into my computer and use something like windows media player? Can I change them there?

6. saludas

saludas New Member

What is happeneing is that whatever thing you're playing them on (your tv, a pc, etc) is changing the shape. You have a dvd that is correct - your PLAYBACK is incorrect.

Try playing it in your PC (A mac will do this correctly, but windows media is the usual 'plug and pray' PC problem) and see if it looks right. if so, then you will need to then try it on your tv. Go to the settings window on your Television and make sure it is NOT set to 'fill screen'. That setting is there for folks who for some reason fell that they are beinbg 'cheated' if the screen is not filled up (which is of course impossible to do without distorting the image, if a square video is played on a rectangular screen).

7. tanya_the_dancer

I have windows XP and I see it distored.