Country and Western > Question

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by DancinDude, Aug 15, 2004.

1. DancinDude

DancinDude New Member

Sorry folks.. correction.

Hello,
    Can someone help me with a question.. I noticed recently when Ann posted a message.. she didn't get home until 1AM.. yet her post shows
    "Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:39 am"

Now, both Ann and I have our profiles set for -5 GMT which is correct for where we are in Southeastern MI. WHY then would this happen?

Thanks

2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I see your question and I raise you another question:
    Where does that time come from? Does the server log in its the time that it posted the message according to its own clock? Or does it get that time from the poster's computer. I would assume the former (ie, its own time).

So I'll try and experiment. I just munged up my own clock and we will see what time this message gets posted. Then I'll correct my own clock and try it again.

Here goes at 1727:30 ...

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK. Even though I posted that at 1727 PDT, which is what it reports minute-wise (but not hour-wise), my local computer clock had been munged to an invalid time of 1707.

Now I'll correct my computer's clock (sync'ing it up with NIST's time server) and send this at 1730.

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK. The server is using its own time and I assume that it is converting the timezone according to each of our local times. However, it does not seem to be correcting for daylight savings, which is in effect here in Calif.

My last message was sent at 5:30 PM PDT and yet the page reports that it was posted at 4:30 PM, one hour earlier.

DancinDude, is daylight savings in effect in MI right now? Please post a message answering that question, note what time you posted it, and compare that time to when the server says that it was posted. Then report the outcome of that experiment. Please also tell me what it says to you about when my last message was posted (the one at 5:30PM, but reported to me as 4:30PM).

My guess is that you are observing daylight savings there in MI and that the server is also reporting to you that your messages were posted one hour earlier. That would mean that Ann had arrived home at 1AM as you reported and had posted that message at 01:39 AM, but the server is falsely reporting 12:39 AM because it's not taking daylight savings into account.

Hope I didn't over-engineer that.

OBTW, posting this at 5:42 PM PDT (-8 + 1 = -7 hours)

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I show is as having been posted at 3:42 PM! :shock: :shock:

...yep 2 hours somehow... since my post, at least to me, shows as coming at 4:22 when, in fact, it is now 6:22... :?

6. DancinDude

DancinDude New Member

Strangely enough.. I understand. Yes, DST is in effect for MI.

Time now posting 10:38PM

Ron

7. DancinDude

DancinDude New Member

Ah ha.. there.. so I'm not the only one noticing now. Thank you for that.

Well.. Ann just left my place.. she may and may not hop on. I know we both have our PCs set to DST and -5 GMT.

Time posted: 10:41PM
    Ron

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK, DancinDude, here on the Pacific coast I show that as having been posted "Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:36 pm". You're in the Eastern time zone, so three hours difference would be 9:36 PM. Add one for DST and it's 10:36 PM, which corresponds to the time on your clock when you posted.

That mystery appears to be solved. It looks like the forum translates all times to what should be local time for each of us, regardless of what local time was for the person who had posted the message. The only flaw is that it doesn't take DST into account, though that is a thornier problem than most people think. Not everywhere in the US observes it (eg, Arizona) and not every country in the world does either. Plus, those countries that do observe it don't always start and stop on the same dates, nor does it go into and out of effect at the same time of the day. Much easier to just not factor it in.

Now if SDsalsaguy is in San Diego (same time zone as I am), why is he two hours off?

OBTW, I just noticed this at the bottom of the edit: