Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Rachael Ray to Wear DWTS dress

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by rbazsz, Feb 1, 2011.

1. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  2. AMeader

AMeader New Member

Is she actually going to be debuting a Randall dress? It sounded as though she was only responding to his letter.

I don't think the designs are too sexy; they're costumes, made for TV, meant to sensationalize and draw attention to the show.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2017
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I hope not, I just bought a Randall Designs. (Not one used on the show.) Then again, I'd like to think it looked sexy....

4. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

5. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

TinyDancer I agree... for someone who is supposed to gear her shows towards empowering "normal" women, she sure made a big deal about the costume... made me feel bad for her to be so clearly insecure with her body... and the dress looked great on her.

she was really funny when Tony made her dance though...

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I think the whole thing was a brilliant bit of marketing on the part of Randall and/or the DWTS folks.

And I agree. The dress is very flattering on RR.

7. davedove

davedove Active Member

I agree. It seems everyone, including Rachel, has forgotten about a certain set of cheesecake photos Rachel did for a men's magazine some time ago. Yeah, she's a bit older now, but her body shape hasn't changed that much.

8. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Didnt know that!

Weird, since she went on and on about how the dress (which covered her to her knees!) showed more skin than she did at the beach (apparently she wears a poncho?!). Love how ppl change their attitudes about things as they get older...

9. davedove

davedove Active Member

I had to look it up. It was in FHM magazine in 2003.

10. rbazsz

rbazsz New Member

I thought the dress was gaudy. Considering Rachel is a fairly attractive woman I thought the dress was overly conservative (of course that's the point) and it didn't flatter her either.

Randall designs some great dresses but that wasn't one of them. It looks to me like he took one out of the reject pile and tailored to fit Rachel.

Her nylons were totally wrong too so it was difficult to enjoy those plump sexy legs of hers.

I suspect Rachel was acting like she couldn't dance when she got that "lesson". The setup for the show will be that Rachel is not a natural dancer because she has never done it. Hey -- it worked for Palin.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Dang.

My take is a bit different. I think Randall designed a dress to flatter a woman with body image issues as best he could. Rachel Ray is not going to wear one of the dresses that the actresses, athletes, singers and dancers who've been on DWTS have been desensitized enough to wear. Chefs don't walk around with their body parts hanging out, most of the time. :lol:

RR kept saying that the costumes are tiny. So the design tailored to her was not tiny. I suspect that Randall (at least for his high-end, big-name clients) incorporates what his clients want into his designs, as he should, IMO. He doesn't just design what he thinks will look good on them.

I could be wrong, but that would be my guess.

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The dress if fine if you're dancing B or higher, but I just sold one precisely because it was too covered-up that was basically cut like that--only with a lower back. Too dowdy and bulk-adding for Ladies A. (Of course the Randall I bought to replace it doesn't reveal a whole lot more, but it's closer to the body and in leopard-print.)

Not a BAD dress, and if that's bead fringe it wouldn't be cheap (I never blame the dressmakers for that, seed beads make me want to claw my eyes out in frustration), but while *I* might show less skin on the beach than that, it's because I burn easily and also like Edwardian bathing costumes.

I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to wear a bikini, Edyta-type underwear dress. Frankly there are people competing wearing those who really should take a good, hard look at themselves and reconsider. But if what's basically a cocktail dress with fringe and stones makes Rachel self-conscious, poor dear. She's quite pretty.

Though, yeah, fishnets. Frankly unless you're Yulia and supertan, wear fishnets. Most of the girls who go on DWTS really need to be told that by someone, firmly.

13. AMeader

AMeader New Member

I am sure it is just enough sexy, and just enough classy!