Salsa > Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Conclave

Conclave New Member

A great book on the developement of Cuban mambo in the 1940's, 50's and 60's is the biography of Arsenio Rodriguez " Arsenio Rodriguez" by David Garcia (Temple University Press, 2006) Covers time in Cuba, New York City and Los Angeles, and deals with his influence on the music, and on musicians that built on the foundations he laid.

2. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Do you know where you can order this on-line?
    Or read a review...
    I don't find it listed on Amazon...

3. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

One of the best books on Cuban music I've ever read.
    Highly recommended!!

4. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Again, anywhere one can order it on-line?
    Couldn't find it on Amazon...

5. just-a-salsera

just-a-salsera New Member

w.w.w.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&isbn=0141009209&nsa=1

w.w.w.amazon.com/Looking-Bomba-Richard-Neill/dp/0141009209/sr=1-3/qid=1168891164/ref=sr_1_3/002-0304533-2995219?ie=UTF8&s=books

(sorry, i am not allowed to post links yet)

6. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

No problem - thanks a lot!

7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler.

I got the book months ago, and just didn't like it then. I re-read it a few weeks ago and really liked it. I think the difference between then and now is that I had forgotten the 'hype' about the book and simply read it because I wanted to read something slow and relaxed (and earlier, I was really in a mood for something fast paced, and discovered Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series) :)

8. Blaxican

Blaxican New Member

Mexifornia by Victor Hanson Davis

9. alemana

alemana New Member

i just finished the memoir "julie and julia," about a new york woman who cooks her way through MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING (500+ recipes) in one calendar year.

10. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

oh my lord.... so that's about 1.5 per day! insane.

i just finished The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh. Very nice, zen sorta book about living in the moment, not judging others, going with the flow, etc.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Borders/Amazon.com.

Here's something from Borders/Amazon.com.

Books on Salsa

12. salsamale

salsamale New Member

I got a hold of this book, and it was an enjoyable read. The salsa scenes were luxurious in detail, as were the sex scenes. Exactly what I was looking for :). Thanks again for the rec nycsalsero, alemana.

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hmmmmm, sounds like I gotta try & get a copy. Not sure how to do that though........especially from all the way down here :roll: .........

Anyone got a link?

14. salsamale

salsamale New Member

15. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Just finished The Know-it-all: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Man in the Universe by A.J. Jacobs.

It's about his project of reading the encyclopedia - hillariously written, a great read.

Currently working on Allen Cadwaller's Analysis of Tonal Music: A Schenkerian Approach. Not nearly as hillarious.

16. Catarina

Catarina New Member

Just finished Atonement by Ian McEwan---phenomenal.

17. I have to second (or third--since it's already been seconded) that one. This book, especially the first 2/3 from what I remember, has an impressive historical sweep, and I ended up learning things about the history of slavery, African religions, and the political and economic history of Cuba, and so forth, along the way.

18. salsamale

salsamale New Member

Just finished reading this novel, what a good read. The prose was musical, the sex scenes were hot. Who needs Henry Miller? I was pleased to find that half the content of the novel was left out of the movie, so there was a lot of "new" material there for me to discover and enjoy. Thanks again for the recommendation :).

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

just finished the 5th harry potter book, order of the phoenix. was a re-read... going directly into the half-blood prince... reviewing the storyline so it's fresh in my mind for when the last book comes out...

20. tj

tj New Member

Lol, did the same thing over Christmas.

When's the next book due out? June/July?