Salsa > Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Nov 12, 2003.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

unofficially, july 7 of this year.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca Member

Richard Price - Freedomland: an outstanding novel, I recommend it thoroughly.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Wicked

I am reading this, but I am getting bored.....

its just weak and dull after a fairly good start...

has anyonel else read it?

here's an amaz review which sums it up for me

Wicked is too long by at least a hundred pages - though the story could easily have been told and done, and the reader is feeling done with it, we're still left slogging along.

Just as the story is building to what turns out to be the (aborted) climax, halfway through, the author suddenly, jarringly, shoves the protagonist into a convent (though she's a complete non-believer), and then has her do absolutely nothing for the next several years (well, she cleans some floors or something).

Though we're still left a couple hundred more pages to wade through, the book is over right there. You keep hoping, expecting, it to somehow start up again, but neither the book nor the characters will every have any interest in anything again. It's over.

The story has, at that point, somehow become a political thriller (Wicked zigzags all about without ever finding an identity). Perhaps the deadness of spirit in a once-impassioned radical, after she's lost faith and/or hope, would have been a worthwhile exploration.

Instead, the story just ends. For some reason, the author keeps writing more pages. For no reason, really.

(The Nature of Evil theme is so incredibly weak and puerile in its rendering as to be nothing more than a tedious distraction from the plot. The characters basically step outside the story for a bit, discuss it, and then go back to whatever they were doing.)

If this were a book of paintings, it would go from lush oil at the beginning to somewhat interesting (dark) watercolors in the middle. After that, there'd be a few nicely shaded drawings, some sketches and finally just stick figures. And that's what you're left with.

It never answers its own questions, never bothers to resolve all the threads that just trail off (and much of what keeps you reading, long after the book has clearly died, is some hope of seeing those resolved - they won't be).

Cruciallly, Elphaba never becomes the Wicked Witch of the West. The author just crams her into that role as abruptly and jarringly as he crammed her into the convent, and suddenly has her say words that have nothing to do with the character we've seen for the past zillion pages.

It's like she was suddenly turned into a puppet, just so Dorothy can accidentally kill her, as if the author forgot she was supposed to be the Wicked Witch of the West and suddenly cut-and-pasted in a brief bit about that so he could have this gimmick to sell it. (That's the climactic confrontation we've been anticipating for 400 pages?)

It's your standard workshop-fiction type of book - lots of attention the phrasing, self-important symbolism, Meaningful (capital M) conflicts, one or two words that might send you to the dictionary - but there's no real fire here, and the author not only doesn't have much of a story to tell, but fails to explore his characters and theme.

If this weren't an alternative view of a familiar character, nobody would read it. There'd be no point. And though that marketing hook will pull many a reader in (as it did me), ultimately there isn't any.

a good idea poorly executed...

5. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I have just finished with the In the Death series by JD Robb. This is a 42 book series. Very good for anyone who like homicide mysteries/romance.

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I read The Serpent’s Shadow over my vacation, which is the conclusion of The Kane Chronicles trilogy. In the book, author Rick Riordan sticks to the winning formula of the teenage magicians teaming with Egyptian gods to save the world. Carter and Sadie Kane, along with their friends, must complete a quest to stop Apophis and the forces of evil before they destroy civilization. Along the way, there are a few plot twists, some laughs, a little romance, and return of an old friend. The end of the book promised sequels, with the escape of the evil ghost magician Setne and Ruby Kane prophesying of challenges from magicians from elsewhere and rival magic.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Clean: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself by Alejandro Junger

fascinating

8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Started reading "Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy" after watching the movie remake. Riveting - read for 30 minutes on the train this AM and didn't even realize it until we were pulling into the station.

Now I'll have to rent the original movie with Alec Guiness in it to compare.

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend any books on being a caregiver, in particular regarding elder care?

10. Simi-Lanjiao

Simi-Lanjiao Member

11. Dufus

Dufus New Member

I'd guess the definitive work on the modern history of Salsa would be THE SALSA DANCER'S MISSING MANUAL, by TheSalsaExpert, himself, Raul Avila.

There is no need to look for it from underground, specialized venues. It is available at amazon or from TheSalsaExpert's website. IBut you can find Raul and the book easily with any search engine.

You mentioned you take the subway. If you are in New York, you can get the book from Raul himself, and he'll be glad to sign it. On most evenings he can be found at Paul Pellicoro's DanceSport on 34th Street next to the Empire State Building. Call first to make sure he has a copy with him. Tell him the fat guy with the tags still on his T-shirts sent you.

12. pinyin4me

pinyin4me New Member

Can anybody upload any Salsa related books which are available on websites?

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am so sorry that I missed this...I don't have large books on this but I do have a lot of small brochures and a good deal of personal experience...pm me if you want

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

This Too Shall Pass by Ginny Sisk also Stuck in the Middle - Shared stories & tips.
    There are a number of tips/hints/coping suggestions on Elder Care Web Sites including AARP.
    And HomeCare for Seniors agencies.
    Also, if your city/town/county has a Department of Aging - typically there will be a huge selection of informational reading they can forward to you.
    Contact your Senior Center facility as well as the local library. Great resources on published works.

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

and

Thank you for your responses. I have a friend that works with the state's Department of Aging that I've talked with a couple of times about elder care issues. I'm also aware of local resources like meals on wheels, visiting nurses, and home health aides that are available. My local library has the Stuck in the Middle book, but not the other one.

I may pm one of you in the future.

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Feel free Purr. I've taken care of my elder "grandparents" when I was in my mid-20's, then my own parents, and my in-laws. One main rule of thumb,,,the caregiver must take care of themselves as well, take a break, find a respite Assisted Living Source that will allow respite care for a few days, and don't ever think it is selfish to have a break, it's quite healthy actually.

17. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

Totally self serving but I just released my first dance e-book this week:

[PLUG ALERT]
    "Partner Dance Success" is the title.

(As of this writing it's #1 in a few e-book dance categories.)

It applies to social dancing across a range of styles, but my roots are salsa.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLG16QI/

All feedback welcomed!