Dancers Anonymous > Read any good books recently?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by tj, Feb 7, 2007.

1. tj

tj New Member

There was a thread over in the salsa forums asking if you've read any good salsa related books recently. The thread has been hijacked recently with non-salsa related books, and I think it's a good topic (but more appropriate here). (And more importantly, no topics about this came up when I did a search on "Reading" or "Books".)

So that being said, Read any good books recently?

I'm currently reading, The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil. Pretty interesting stuff. I was introduced to the book by a friend, since we were talking about all these sci-fi books, films, & shows regarding the end of mankind due to creating machines that are more intelligent (i.e. the Technological Singularity). So far, Kurzweil is taking a more positive outlook at the subject, but I'm only about 40-50 pages in.

I wouldn't call it light reading, but I do find it interesting.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Just finished re-reading Gilead.
    Before that, re-read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
    Before that, re-read The Red Tent.

About to start re-reading Middlesex.

3. tj

tj New Member

Synopses?

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

1/2way thru 6th harry potter book...

5. tj

tj New Member

Vuja De all over again! :wink:

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

"ridickulus!"

;)

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I heard it was really a bizarre story...no?

I'm reading Perfect Health by Deepak (and when I told my husband this, he asked if it was Deepak Shakur??!!!)

8. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is regarded as a good book, but I just finished the first page of "Story of O." This is one of the books that I heard about a lot but never read myself. Have you read it?

9. tj

tj New Member

Is that Tupac's brother? :wink:

10. Peaches

Gilead: An elderly preacher, in Iowa, in the mid 1940's, knows he has health problems and decides to write to his 7-year-old son. It's a combination of his life story, his family history, comments on faith, joys in life, wonderment, and acceptance. It won a Pulitzer, and is absolutely amazing.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn: Something like a coming-of-age story for a young girl, set in the tenement slums of Brooklyn at the turn of the century. I don't like calling it a coming-of-age story, particularly, because it's not like others of that genre, but I don't know what else to call it. It's strength lies in it's documentation of that kind of existance at that time. Fascinating from a historical perspective.

The Red Tent: Tells the story of Dinah (only daughter of Jacob, from the Bible) from her perspective. I'd call it very much "chick lit," but I find it interesting. I can't really pin down why, exactly.

Middlesex: Also a Pulitzer winner, I believe. About a hermaphrodite--thought to be a girl until roughly puberty. The story is tracing the insidious gene through family history, and telling the family's stories in the meantime. The beauty in this is not the story itself (at least not for me), but the way in which it's told. The language is very...satifying, and the detached, outside-looking-in is very effective.

11. mamboqueen

I think not!

(someone tell me, isn't Deepak Shakur dead???)

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

why, DB... you are a surprise! ;)
    <heh>

13. Peaches

Fascination, do you have a better synopsis of Gilead?

It seems like people of faith who read the book get something different from it than I did. At least, that's what it seems like given my Mom and Grandma's reactions to it. (Both favorable, I might add.)

14. tj

tj New Member

Ok, I have to admit that I don't know who Deepak Shakur is... I know a Deepak Chopra and a Tupac Shakur, but not a Deepak Shakur (or for that matter a Tupak Chopra :grin: :wink: )

I guess it's google or wikipedia time!

15. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

The last book I read was Jane Eyre- eh- not really my kind of book. Before that I read The House of the Spirits which was incredible and my new favorite book. Today I started reading The Kite Runner.

16. mamboqueen

The Kite Runner is EXCELLENT. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a movie version, too.

17. mamboqueen

I think we must have been mixing up our "paks" ... again! :uplaugh:

18. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

That's great to hear! There was a quote on the front cover from Isabel Allende saying that she loved it, so I figured I picked a good book :D I'm glad though that I'm reading it before a movie is made.

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: :doh: :doh:

:lol:

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

deepak shakur, the famously wise indian rap artist...

called "deep shak" for short. entices the ladies with his magical curry...