Salsa > Real Salsa Dancers, Players, and Sexy Moves

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tacad, Jul 6, 2005.

1. tacad

tacad New Member

I went to another salsa club last Thursday. This time in LA (not the local place from a couple of weeks ago). A beginning class was taught by Alex DaSilva. He taught a few sexy moves. Like moving her hand toward her head than carresing her hair. Or standing in front of her
    with her hands on my chest and sliding down to my waist. Or me standing behind her, raising her hands above her head and bringing them down to her shoulders, then reaching around her stomach (still behind her) and spinning her out.

Then I think of a couple of salseros I know (Carl is one of them, tsb) who are really good. They don't seem to do these types of moves but are very good and interesting to watch. They work with the steps and styling but no chest touching by the girls, no hair carressing for the guys. They look more like Sabor in that dancing video.

I guess I'm asking if moves such as I described above are the norm? Is DaSilva possibly just using these sexy moves to get us hooked on salsa? Do these moves lead to africana's statement in another thread that salsero equals player? (I have to admit the experience was fairly stimulating. This time I was prepared, though, and was a perfect gentleman. But brrr!
    And with time the effect will be less, of course.) Do 'real dancers' do these moves? You know. The guys who are really there to dance. Do they do these moves?

So any comments?

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

Karl with a "K".

and he plays chess, too! (grandmaster & ranked in the top 5 in the state)

3. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Well I don't mind if anyone does such moves with me. I think they increase the sensuality and playfullness (depending on person) of Salsa dance. Just that I expect RESPECT... no sleaziness...

5. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

I was led to do all the moves you mentioned above. They are not done very commonly but I'm fine with it as long as it's done with an attitude (cool, not unsure, playfully done but no sleaziness please! and yes it does matter who's doing those moves like Squirrel said).

6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

it depends Tacad.. its al good and depends on the mood.. thats one of the cool things about this dance that i like.. the variety of emotion and its expression.. there is no standard but u set your own.. and u could do that differently with every lady u dance with if u feel it..

in the clip u refer to.. it was how i dance with this just one girl.. i'm different with others as much as they differ from each other .. and yes.. sometimes it gets mucho hot :lol: (u like that dont u :twisted: ) LOL but as those above replied it depends on chemistry and how u do it.. que no? 8)

7. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

For me i don"t like forced or cookie cutter dancing,learning sexy moves and trying as they used to say(mack daddy jive girls) is not where its at.of course salsa can be very sexy and sometimes i roll with that,i dance different with different types of ladies similar to what sabor said. i"ve taught a salsa class or 2 in princeton and many other places and some folks just don't look good trying to force sexy moves etc..(the line sex sells is still true.Im Latin(Italian) and we feel salsa and may types of music deeply,but people really need to get over too much puff and stuff,two weeks ago i went to a salsa dance that had a cuban band and it was so organic, the music, the sense of this dance, was different than any other salsa night i was ever at,it was great-it was funny/sad, to see salseros doing there same style dancin to cuban music,hence cookie cutter i saw girls putting sexy moves they learned in music that so clearly was not giving you that type of sabor.

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

the music states what is to be done... as others have mentioned I tend to dance different from girl to girl, more so, style of music...

The sexy moves look out of place with a hardcore Ray Barretto, bang away, hold me back there is a flight about to take off from a fighter jet plane, kind of song. (La Pelota Like)

However, I use a million and one sexy moves to, let say, salsa romantica from the 80s. Songs such as Viti Ruiz's Caricias Prohibidas...

The use of the hands, even without the move being "sexy" can be extrememly sensual, hence creates a "not sexy" move into a sexy move, even the way you look at the girl while doing a "not so sexy" move creates a mood that makes the move sexy...

In Sabor's clip, the song actually allowed for the very style he was dancing. Had he danced the song differntly he could have looked out of place...

9. yola

yola New Member

everybody is talking about sabor's clip.......... :?: whereisitiwanttoseeittootellmewhereicanfinditgivemealink!! :wink:

10. alemana

alemana New Member

the more intimate the move, the more i expect to already have some knowledge of the leader before being led into it. i don't think too highly of leaders who will get all up on me the first time we dance.

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

12. yola

yola New Member

:cry: :cry:

13. Pebbles

Pebbles New Member

Da Silva has his own trademark salsa style, it is a lot of fun to watch. I wouldn't recommend doing his moves while starting out in social dancings though.

14. tacad

tacad New Member

I was so unsure last week that I kept asking the women if they minded if I did these sexy moves that I just learned. :lol: They all said fine. They're probably used to DaSiva's moves in this club as he teaches there regularly. Especially with me being a beginner. But if I go somewhere else I will trust my instincts I guess.

Thanks again everybody!

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

How about towards the end of the dance? :wink: :)

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Don't be unsure. I am one of the few in my area who do besito, or besito doble, to almost everyone and it works out fine. Even the first time. Veils and that sort of stuff also no problemo as long as it matches the music and my partner. I do the two handed right-right left-left CW followers turn with left hands behind her back and get really close. No problemo.

17. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Exactly. First and foremost....

Totally agree. It's not so much what you do, it's how you do it. :)

18. alemana

alemana New Member

it's all a question of degree, really.

19. I’ve danced with many guys who use these types of moves although most use them sparingly just to spice things up or to catch me off-guard. I guess my answer is yes, these types of moves are used in social dancing. Most guys who have done these moves with me have executed them well and tastefully. Therefore, I have no problem with these moves. I think so long as it is clear that men aren’t using these moves to “cop a feel” then most followers will have no problem with them.

On the man’s part, executing these types of moves successfully requires them to be comfortable with them and to execute them with confidence. Otherwise, he simply looks awkward. If you are taught a certain move that you aren’t comfortable with or you feel doesn’t suit your dancing style/personality, then it’s probably best not to incorporate that into your repertoire. I don’t think you should worry about whether a certain move is commonly seen on the dance floor (I know many men who are always trying to create a new pattern/move). Even if no one in town does the moves you do, you’ll be okay so long as you are comfortable with it and the moves look “natural” for you. It’s good to learn all sorts of different moves, even if you’ll never use them (maybe you can later modify the move to suit your style). From what I’ve seen, it’s by “collecting, selecting and rejecting” moves that dancers often craft their own dancing style.

If you're still in town, maybe you can show me these new moves ;)

20. africana

africana New Member

Well this is the exact reason I have never jumped at the opportunity to dance with Alex DaSilva, even though I've met him a couple of times.
    I have always enjoyed watching him in competitions and such, and I truly agree that he's a pioneer slash salsa-idol in many ways. But...
    even the first I took his class I had to stop and walk off in the middle because I was not comfortable with some of the up-close body-touching moves and rolls he was teaching.
    I also have had a few leads from LA dance like this with me, sometimes I push them away. In extremes I have stopped the dance and walked off (only twice, usually guys will stop it when I tell them I don't care for a particular move)

There are other ways to by sexy without rubbing all over your partner, especially someone you hardly know, who may or may not be attracted to you. I have much the same reaction to this style of salsa as I do to grinding :evil: :?