Tango Argentino > Reasons to quit tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Captain Jep, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Well you're right to look at the "opportunity cost". What else would we have done with our time? Probably watched TV and examined our navel fluff. Or gone trout fishing :rolleyes:

On the other hand , tango does allow you to get to know people in a very strange fashion. One moment you are strangers, the next you're pressed against their chests and are searching for a physical "connection". It allows you to bypass all of that awkward stuff in getting to know someone like - you know - "conversation" :p. For those who are "conversationally challenged", it's a godsend.

Even if you do "do" small talk, it's still attractive. There's a school of thinking in dance circles that you dont actually want to get to know your dance partners really well. Getting to know them may mean judging them. Deciding in fact whether you want to be friends with them. By not going that far, you can see the best side of them - see their essential spirit/goodness.

So if you are someone who is OK at small talk, but struggles with longer conversations, you're still safe. ;)

For the singles amongst us, contrast this acceptance with the pain and hassle of internet dating. Or any other sort of dating :rolleyes:.

And if you are within a couple, and are struggling, tango is a refuge you can return to. Rather than deal with the actual relationship issues.

Let me make it clear here that I am not judging. Or condemning people for being "weak". Tango is what it is. But like all powerful substances ("drugs") it has the potential to harm. Knowing that and guarding against it is half the battle.

2. Mario7

Mario7 Member

That's true only if you are dancing close embrace, right?

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Except that any kind of partner dancing IS like dating.
    As someone pointed out to me (the obvious! or maybe not), "it's all about relationships".

4. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
  5. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

You're killing me. The answer is, of course, no.

6. bafonso

bafonso New Member

Classic.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

you can see blues scale here and hear it here

http://www.jazclass.aust.com/scales/scablu.htm

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

The following ones are true for me but they won't make me quit.

2.) Nobody to Dance with on a Regular Basis.
    12.) Someone keeps wanting to dance with me that I don’t like and its a small town and I don’t want to hurt their feelings so I should just stop.
    14.) I’m not good enough.
    16.) I don’t hear the music.

2.) But it can change.
    12.) She's not after me, she's after just any leader.
    14.) But I'm better than most.
    16.) But given the number of instruments in an orchestra, even when walking randomly I am necessarily following one.

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

After reading the original post...

Oh, well [expeletive deleted]! That pretty much sums up why I haven't gone to a milonga in several months.

10. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

But isn't it good we can do this in just a few lines rather than hijacking the whole thread???

11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Well, I guess it would be difficult to be "pressed against their chest" in open embrace.

[​IMG]

12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

There is absolutely no reason to ever quit tango! Tango is passion, personality, expression. Dance always!

13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'd call this a Hijack, but I didn't bring it up...

The "Blues Scale" presented here http://www.jazclass.aust.com/scales/scablu.htm
    is by no means indicative of the full range of what is used by people who write and/or play blues, based on W.C. Handy's "St Louis Blues", and "Rock Me Baby" written by Joe Josea and B.B. King (if you want to look those up) or if you want to read a whole lot about blues......
    And "Blues Dancing"...
    Typical exchange. "So what blues dances do you do?" "Close embrace and open embrace."
    Meanwhile, since I've strayed off topic....

Can anyone tell me if they have been taught to split their corridas or traspies unevenly, with a "slow quickquick" feel as is taught at some levels of swing dance?

And quiting AT?
    How about being on sabatical?

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I was taught milonga with traspie from the very beginning, and I was taught them unevenly just as I was taught them even. (I started off learning milonga by being taught to listen for the 1, ah, 2, and 3, ah 4...much like a samba rhythm.) I never realized that there was a name for it until later, or that the dotted-rhythm of it was unusual. *shrug* It was in the music, and it was just something else to dance to.

As for corridas... As a set of three steps, which is how I usually encounter it and was taught...no, always even. But that's not to say that five quick steps couldn't have been strung together, or a couple of quick ones interspersed with slower ones...I just don't think I'd call it a corrida in that case.

15. magicmiles

magicmiles New Member

RE: Close Embrace Dancing...

Mario,

Thanks for the question. Actually, I am not in favor of one or the other. I consider myself a 'fluid embrace' dancer. My embrace changes as it needs to for what I want to with my partner in time to the music.

I have always been a fluid embrace dancer. You may have witnessed me dancing socially in the past in mostly open embrace. Like all dancers at one point or another we play with what's in front of us...what we're presented with...I was witnessing a lot of both over the last 4 years...and I've integrated both into me.

As to your other questions:

What other US cities have a focus on close embrace dancing....? most of them actually. Portland, Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, Denver, DC, Houston, Baltimore...and yes, believe it or not...San Francisco. Just because Homer is there, doesn't necessarily mean that its all open embrace. Its not.

As for my 'move' to CE:

Obviously. But I expose support for the 'fluid' embrace line of reasoning in my classes and workshops.

As to which direction:

That's anyone's guess Mario. I don't have a crystal ball.

Sincerely,

Miles.

16. magicmiles

magicmiles New Member

Capt' Jep.

Actually I do mention them. In a different series of posts on the subject!

http://web.archive.org/web/20120320025322/http://barefootango.com/thoughts/floorcraft
    http://web.archive.org/web/20120926020002/http://barefootango.com/going-dancing/tango-etiquette

17. bafonso

bafonso New Member

You obviously have no idea why I wrote that. And that is fine. Knowledgeable people in the community will.

18. bafonso

bafonso New Member

You can use full scale while playing blues but the there are notes very strongly correlated to our idea of what blues is and sounds like. They're coming off the pentatonic scales where the minor is very very similar to both dorian and aeolian.

Musicians don't restrain themselves to the 5 scale notes but it sure gives you the flavor hitting the 4, 5b, 5 notes :)

Blues dancing is actually a mix of whatever people have learned. I've seen people teach ochos in a blues class... most of the them have come from lindy-hop, swing, etc. it's very abstract in one way.

19. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I guess you do but not in this context ..

I think it's worth emphasising : without decent floorcraft around you, it's extremely hard to reach that state of "tango bliss". To me it stands to reason. If you have to worry about the leaders about you then you're not able to give full attention to your partner...

20. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Not necessarily. Accept that you will cope with bad navigation from others around you as a normal part of the experience. You incorporate that into your repertoire of tango skills. You still pay full attention to your partner... DESPITE of those around you.