Tango Argentino > Reasons to quit tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Captain Jep, Apr 4, 2010.

1. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

Is that supposed to be an insult?? I had hoped that my stereotypical response to Mario would be seen as rather tongue in cheek, since, exactly as dchester wrote:
    But perhaps it's good that I am apparently clueless and not a "knowledgeable person in the community."

2. magicmiles

magicmiles New Member

Cap't Jep.

RE: Floorcraft!

You're absolutely right. However, that's no reason to 'quit' tango. Hence the reason I didn't add it in there.

Miles.

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

I like your attitude to that Ampster!

4. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Hi Miles, welcome to DF!

And it's good to see someone else practicing that style. :) My teacher keeps saying that the whole CE vs. OE thing is largely an illusion invented when tango was exported, that good technique is good technique.

5. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

For me there is a clear and obvious difference between the two, and when I think of CE I am thinking of aplido. I can think of a few older dancers from BA who danced only CE, and were never seen dancing OE, and vice versa.

Clearly true. How can anyone argue with this statement? But, what is this supposed to mean?

6. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Which community?:confused:

7. bafonso

bafonso New Member

Dude, I don't know you. Why do you believe anything I wrote has anything to do with you? drop it.

8. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I dont know about quitting but yes, it could encourage me to do far less of it.

I feel an Isaac Asimov moment coming on here..

My Rule No 1 in tango is "Protect your partner and do no harm".

Poor floorcraft is in contradiction to Rule No 1.

Most often you protect your partner anyway - but at the expense of the dance.

I'm not saying you cant have a good dance with poor floorcraft around you - but a superlative dance? - no.

9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Hey you're Miles? The Miles? The living legend of tango blogosphere, the one who taught classes after one year of learning, the one who popularized the Golden Nugget?

10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Could you elaborate on this? I'm confused by how it could be an illusion as to whether the chests are touching or not. I suspect that I'm missing the point of what you intended to say.

11. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

That would be a big 10 4, rubber duck :cool:

12. Subliminal

Hmm. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it... basically, you use the same posture, same left arm connection, same right arm adjustments, etc. The lead comes from the center, so having contact may clarify it, but you should still be able to lead the same thing whether you're touching or not. The embrace is always shifting to accommodate the follower, even in close. You may not need to make these adjustments to lead something in close, but the difference is in how good it feels to the follower. You always create space for her to move into, then you always support her action with the embrace. If you follow the general techniques, you don't need to memorize specific ones based on whether you are in CE or OE.

Anyway, that's my understanding, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. :p

13. spectator

spectator Member

I actually took it to mean an illusion that the two are separate and not compatible?

I.e within a dance you might switch between open and close?
    that there is an ideological conflict is perhaps a result of people over simplifying things when first introducing tango- a bit like teaching school children chemistry?
    Perhaps we are all over thinking it and far too keen on putting things into boxes?
    I don't know. Do any of us really? Probably not.

14. spectator

spectator Member

here's one miles may have missed...
    Dogma

15. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Yes - by Omar Vega & also by Facundo Posadas to match what was called the sincopa rhythm when doing milonga traspie. I do not recall either one actually using the phrase "slow quickquick" though.

16. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Other than the part about switching between open and close, I don't know what you are saying at all. Either the chests are touching, or they are not. If there is chest contact, the follower can receive information (like the lead) from his chest. If there is not, then the follower must receive the information either from what she sees, or from the leader's arms. To me, that seems different (but I've been wrong before).

17. spectator

spectator Member

well, i didn't take it to be a literal thing, like literally the difference is an illusion, more like the whole concept of open OR closed, one against the other, people who dance close embrace vs people who dance open, it's an airy fairy conceptual thing.

Actually, let's just ask Miles instead:
    Miles! hellooooo? Are you there......?
    If you can hear me, what did you mean by illusion? was it literal or a metaphorey similie thingy bob?

18. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I think that like open hold teachers have co-opted the term 'embrace' they now also wish to co-opt the term 'close'...soon, open hold dancing will be called 'close embrace' dancing...watch.:cool:

19. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, of course since there is not direct chest-to-chest contact the lead comes through the arms. But I think it's an important distinction to not that it comes through them, not from them. The two are not independent. It is entirely possible to follow, in open embrace (or whatever-the-hell term the militant CE fanatics would prefer), with your eyes shut. Yes, arms are involved, but they serve to project the lead coming from the chest. There really isn't much of a difference, once you learn to keep tone in your arms without being stiff.

20. Subliminal

Actually, I was the one who made the illusion comment, spectator. :) and to respond to your earlier comment, I think that's also a good way of putting it, though I think there's a philosophical and a technical side to the dynamic/fluid embrace. Being open to the idea that it's all tango makes it easier to get along with others, and to pick up new things from others.

But I also think my teacher meant there was a physical side to it too. Dancing chest to chest will provide more information, but it doesn't necessarily change the technique. In open, the lead comes from the same place, your entire body. And it does make it easier to transition between the two when you think of it that way.

ETA: Looks like Peaches beat me to it. :)