Tango Argentino > Reasons to quit tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Captain Jep, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Oh noes! You don't agree with me, I have to now beat you over the head with my point until you submit!

Or we could just agree to disagree. ;)

2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

And since tango OE isn't really the ballroom frame anyway, we better not go THAT route, or we'll have followers leaning back at a right angle to their waist and looking way over to their left to smile at non-existent judges.

3. Zoopsia59

Yeah! What HE said! Don't you have some stats to enter into a spreadsheet or something? :p

4. Zoopsia59

Pulling up a chair... microwaving some popcorn.. who needs WWF or RAW when we've got the ATDF?

5. Subliminal

Oh man... where's the popcorn smiley Wooh uses? Lemme see if I can find it...

Here we go!

[​IMG]

6. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Oh, I tried so hard to stay out of this discussion. All of the reasons that make me want to quit AT are all of the reasons why I dance it. I was happy to just let you guys, again, go down that road to hell, again, and beat each other up over technicality and vocabulary, and then there was this.

d' knows that I like him, but this was just wrong. So glad that the following posts cleared it up.

Those are 2 excellent posts. Leading from the chest does not mean, though it can include, to literally mash from the chests. It means to lead from the upper balance center of the core, whether close, closed, or not. Then there was this.....

What!? :confused: (holding head and running for a scotch).....
    Though it was directed to someone else, thanks again, to the following that answers it well.

Very nice. It is my extreme desire to, one day, see a world, or a forum, where AT isn't trie to be pigeon-holed into everyone's idiosyncratic idea of what it should be, and just seen for what it is; for the day when we view it through the eyes of a child. A child learns AT quicker because of the child's innocence. They do it because it is done. Adults, who try to technicalize, mechanize, clarrify, codify, and legislate AT, make it much too arduous of a task.

7. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Err .... Why does every thread descend into a stupid argument about some aspect of the embrace? :confused:

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I think it's because people take entirely too long to realize that I'm right.

[​IMG]

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Because I haven't learned to know better?

10. Zoopsia59

At least this one included discussion of how the various embraces use similar technique of leading... ie: that the lead comes from the same place regardless of how the information is transmitted.

11. Zoopsia59

For the amusement of onlookers?

[​IMG]

12. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Personally I'd find it far more interesting to stay on topic. :)

Those who argue about the embrace, etc. are by definition indicating they are not quitting tango. If they quit, how could they argue about these things? :rolleyes:

13. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Obviously you can quit dancing the tango but still feel the insane need to keep talking about it ... :rolleyes:

There were 25 reasons for not dancing the tango and we've discussed err .. two? one? none?

I think we should all quit because ... we'll never be better than the Argentines!!! .... lol ....:p

14. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

On topic.
    To me, the mentioned reasons are not the ones to quit tango, but rather take a break, reconsider the priorities, shift focus a little bit, perhaps.

I think it is good to have (an)other hobby(ies), beside tango, as an outlet. It might be inconceivable when one's tango obsession is at its full swing, but in the long run it is all about balance.

Also, I believe there must be something about tango that you enjoy right away, right now. It is not " when I get better", "take that workshop", "after a trip to Buenos Aires", "after I can become a teacher", "when such and such will ask me to dance", it is right here, right now.
    Of course I am not saying you shouldn't try to improve your dancing and the situation around you, but unless it makes you happy the way you are, the way it is right now, and unless it happens regularly (despite of occasional bad nights) I don't see why continue to go on.

15. Subliminal

That's a really good point Lilly, and hits close to home for me. Sometimes I get so caught up in trying to improve I lose the ability to enjoy the dance. Part of being a bit of a perfectionist I suppose. :( at this point, I have invested so much time and money I feel I can't stop... that a breakthrough is just over the horizon. At least I like the music... heh.

16. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Is it me, or are these reasons to quit/break from dancing in general? It works for any "scene" you can name.

I agree with those who say they are signs you should just take a break. Eventually you'll want to go back when you're in a different frame of mind. Forcing yourself to keep going back with the same mind and waiting for it to change for you is not the way to go.

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I've taken a break here and there. It helped me to come back fresher and more inspired...

18. bafonso

bafonso New Member

Amen.

19. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Thanks Lily for getting us back on track. And yes I think you make a really good point.

It's like right now, I'm not really interested in lessons or improving my tango, and am not even that bothered in dancing every week. But every 2 or 3 weeks, I feel the "need", and then when I get there it's like catching up with an old friend. Have I given up? No. Just shifted my focus a little bit. :D

I'm still struggling with the other hobby bit, though. I mean, I do have other hobbies, but it's hard to find one that compares to tango , isnt it? With tango, you can get "into the flow" almost instantly (like taking off your coat) , with other hobbies you actually have to "work" at it ... :lol:

20. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

.. yep, not just dancing. But I'd argue that *some* activities are more prone to some of the negative stuff than others.

It tends to happen with things that are more marginal (which AT is cf other dances in many areas.. I think there's about 10:1 salsa:AT where I am), things that are quite hard (AT over, french jive, say)... because some of the folk attracted to it are attracted to it partly because of those reasons.. not just because they love it. A friend said a similar thing about Kendo. It can attract people who want to be pratts because they believe they are the elite and believe that because they are an excellent (insert profession here) they are good at *whatever* they do. Obviously I am not saying everyone is like that but I *do* see a lot of arrogance which is a complete impediment to learning. It's like these people would never even consider the fact they are doing something wrong (god, new experiences, what are they?!). I met an Oxbridge don or somesuch (maybe he was just called Don and from Oxford? :D) who thought he was so good and moaned about the paucity of instruction at 'his level' (advanced, obviously!). He didn't even have anything near a good posture or hold. He danced with a real beginner who I've lead, not the easiest thing b/c of her lack of experience but with a bit of adjustment, no problems. He actually walked away from her halfway through the dance :rolleyes:

It's funny this thread has come up as very recently wanted to throw in the towel myself. I think I'm just going to be more selective about how often/ where I go.

But I agree with Jenny - I go to dance primarily but obviously am polite and pleasant and indulge in a bit of chit chat. A lot of the time though AT in my area looks like a social club for the elite / people who see themselves as the elite or who want to be the elite/ beautiful people/ in-crowd, whatever. By chance, a couple of people I have met through dancing over the years have become proper friends but most of the time I just want to go to freakin' DANCE!!

The trouble with dance scenes (as opposed to say, War Games) is that it is sort of infused with a social/ romantic element. I'm not interested in being part of a crowd.. I find that takes up more effort than the dancing!

Oh, and yep, the ego games/ politics gets so irriating, I really don't want to know.. ! And I hardly ever get any good dances apart from with my regular partner...

.. oh god, starting to want to give up again, now! I think AT is particuarly prone to an 'all or nothing' approach. You've only got to read some of the posts on this august forum ;)